1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Best Team Names

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Chessic, Dec 12, 2007.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There's a class A baseball team in the SAL called the Bats. I think that name fits better with the officials, seeing that many calls make you think they are blind.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I have attended schools with odd names as well:

high school: River Forest Ingots
    college: Indiana Hoosiers

3. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

Here's another one:

OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

4. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have seen Horned Toads somewhere.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Javelinas of Texas A&M-Kingsville come close (I liked the old name, Texas A&I better, and took trigonometry by correspondence from them). They are peccaries, related to, but not, pigs; they resemble pigs enough that many believe they're wild pigs.

6. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to college at Southern Arkansas University. We were the Muleriders!

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Elon University used to be called the Fighting Christians.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

There's a high school team in Southern Illinois called the Cobden Appleknockers.

Lots of apple orchards in the area.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Browns is a cool name. Nothing like naming a sports team after the color of dirt...and something else :)

I don't know what the orange has to do with the color scheme. Maybe little pieces of carrots?

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe Paul Brown's middle name was Orange. Those who know football history know that team got its name. But how did the old St. Louis Browns of the American League get it's name (they moved to Baltimore in 1954 and became the Orioles)?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

As the biggest Browns fan in Cleveland, I hope you know I was jesting...

12. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I've always liked the name, "Screaming Eagles". I have no idea who they are, just like the name!

love,

Sopranette

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arkansas Tech Wonder Boys

14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I went to high school in Normal Illinois - we were the Ironmen, at that time the high school in Pekin Illinois was called by the then decidedly non PC name - the Chinks! I am sure that name has now been changed. By the way the town name is not pronounced the same way as the city in China.

The Grand Prairie Tx mascot is the Gophers! - now that will just put fear into the heart of an opponent.

My favorite nickname in college is the Stanford Cardinal.
    love that they are the Cardinal not the Cardinals, but I have no idea why they went with the singular not the plural/

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because "cardinal" refers to the color, not the bird of that color. Speaking of PC changes, Stanford was one of the first to do that. I remember the year, 1970, Jim Plunkett won the Heisman as Stanford's QB and they upset Ohio St. in the Rose Bowl. They were still the "Indians" that year. But they went to the Rose Bowl again the next year (with another upset, that time over Michigan) and they were "the Cardinal."

If you're from the Dallas area, you may also be familiar with a couple of high school PC-forced changes. One is the Frisco Raccoons. I'm not sure when, but their former name, just "Coons" was changed. I guess that's one we non-PC'ers can stand. But another one, if I recall from the news, came rather hard-- the Fort Worth Southwest Rebels to the Raiders. The big conflict was that they used the Rebel Flag as a symbol, and there were some tricks and hard feelings, such as at a pep rally they dropped a large rolled-up school banner and some kids had planted a Rebel Flag in it, and this turned the pep rally into chaos as black students, who thought that flag was already canceled attacked whites who applauded the act. Then the school 'officially' severed the flag and made the rule that no student is to have such a flag or any semblence thereof, and some girls wore sweatshirts with the flag on the front in protest, were assaulted by black girls, then suspended. It was then (if I remember right) that they went further and changed the name to "Raiders," thinking this would cancel the trouble over the flag.

16. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Minor league baseball teams can have some pretty interesting names.I always got a kick of out of the Toledo Mudhens. Another minor league baseball team is the Lansing Lugnuts. There mascot even is, ...well, a lugnut.

17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

South Grand Prairie High's nickname is the Warriors, complete with Indian warrior who runs out on the field in the rare circumstance that a TD is scored etc. To confuse matters a bit, they also had a rebel flag (could not decide who to offend the most I imagine!) The rebel flag is gone and the warrior is under attack - we will see what happens.

The University of Texas at Arlington was also the rebels once apon a time - they are now the Mavericks.

After you related the story about Stanford, I remembered it - early onset oldtimers you know. I still like the name Cardinal - at least they were creative with it

18. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets ---

Got their name from the all male (at the time) students that would wear yellow jackets to the football games.