1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best & Worst Christian Books You've Read

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, May 30, 2013.

1. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Worst
    I know this isn't a book but a sermon
    Shall the Fundamentalists Win? by Harry Emerson Fosdick (Had to read in seminary, I guess I found it to the opposite end of John D. Rockfeller, he loved it.)

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Reading that is like reading some of the theology on here -- the thing is we don't have to read the nonsense now! :applause: :thumbsup:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We seem to have some who read ONLY 100+ years books, thre Puritans and reformers, while others read current fluff stuff!

I like a mix of Calvin/berhof/Grudem/Erickson, old and the new!

4. preacher4truth

Much of the new stuff is bunk.

I get little out of non-Calvinist writings and find their writing to be theologically shallow.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did enjoy works by Josh McDowell, isn't he armininan?

J vernon Megee same thing?

Also read early how booksby paul Little, think he was one too!

Think non cals have some good stuff for non scholarly reading/study, but for deeper works, stay with either reformed or calvinist!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quoting on the above theme, Bernard Cottret says in his Calvin: A Biography:" Calvin's monadic prose always strikes us by the modernity of its tone; all allowances being made, even when they express the apparently most complicated ideas, his sentences preserve an immediacy and a feeling of concreteness that make them curiously accessible. Of all our sixteenth-century authors, from Rabelais to Montaigne, Calvin is, starangely, one of the easiest to read even today.' (p.330)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you ever read some of his 'Golden Books'. I read several I found in a church library & I was astounded by both his clarity & ability to boil down theology to its basics. Would recommend them to everyone.

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, you like to read the "heretic" also, eh?

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Judgement.....

You must be a loyal regular on local jury's. You've got a kncak at judging others...BTW - how old are you P4T? I haven't heard the term "toot your own horn" since my grandaprents died in the 60's???? :) Oh, I am a trumpet player, thank you. What key would you like me to toot that tune in???? :) :)

#49 righteousdude2, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was....

....required reading in my New Testament Theology class. And yes it was very good. Of course one person feels it is "light-weight" but that is only an opinion. And his opinions are not important to me.

Get the book when you can, and you will like what you find!

11. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More.....

....of the same: JUDGEMENT from someone who doesn't know anything about me [as a believer or human being]. What a shame that this forum is used by some, to put down, insult and deman others while pumping up their own low self-esteem!

#51 righteousdude2, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  12. preacher4truth

My post was of an encouragement to other works my friend. None of these other things you've stated were a part of it whatsoever.

- Blessings

13. preacher4truth

I'm looking into some of the books you've listed Icon. I've never read a catechism, I may Lord willing look into the one you've suggested. Also the one by Ferguson is intriguing. Thanks.

- Blessings

14. preacher4truth

You can listen toe the Romans Series by MLJ on this site.

15. preacher4truth

RLBosley,

I started to read the book by William Law -- but something didn't sit right in the things he was saying so I put it down. I recall reading part of it to my wife and she knew immediately it was wrong but I cannot recall what it was at this time.

Looking into him afterwards I found he was a Christian mystic. Anyhow I was 'alerted' that something was amiss.

- Blessings

16. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Really? I was unaware of that. I know he stressed a lot of prayer and intentionally holy living - which would create cries of "legalism!" In some circles.

I just looked up Law again and from what I see, mysticism didn't start to influence him (Supposedly) until about 10 years after he wrote "A Serious Call." Then again who knows? I haven't read anything in it in a while, so maybe I'll have to go through again and see if something seems out of place.

17. preacher4truth

The leaning towards legalism accusations from others doesn't bother me too much. I read a lot of puritan works, so I get it that it is not about legalism but about a sincere walk.

I thought it was odd that after all the rave reviews I found the book to be somewhat sketchy.

- Blessings

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some select Calvinistc quotes from Packer's book follow:

"We may know as much about God as Calvin knew --ineed,if we study his works diligently,sooner or later we shall --and yet all the time(unlike Calvin,may I say) we may hardly know God at all." (p.22)

"Then,third,knowing God,is a matter of grace. It is a relationship in which the initiative throughout is with God --as it must be,since God is so completely above us and we have so completely forfeited all claim on His favour by our sins. We do not make friends with God, God makes friends with us, bringing us to knowHim by making His love known to us.Paul expresses this thought of the priority of grace in our knowledge of God when he writes to the Galatians:"Now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God (Gal.4:9). What comes to the surface in this qualifying clause is the apostle's sense that grace came first,and remains fundamental,in his reader's salvation. Their knowing God was the consequence of God's taking knowledge of them. They know Him by faith because He first singled them out by grace.
    'Know,' when used of God in this way,is a sovereign-grace word, pointing to God's initiative in loving,choosing,redeeming,calling, and persevering. That God is fully aware of us,'knowing us through and through'as we say,is certainly part of what is meant,as appears fromthe contrast between our imperfect knowledge of God and His perfect knowledge of us in 1 Corinthians 13:12." (p.36)

19. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ummmmmm

"Huh????" :BangHead: