1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best & Worst Preacher's You've Listened To

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, May 31, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Bob,

Thanks for the time to provide some clarification. I think we all get tired of some eventually.

- Blessings

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You gotta be pulling my leg :laugh:.....he(M L-J) is NOT as Scot, however he is of my kin, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist & "YES" brilliant.

Try Samuel Rutherford & Sinclair Ferguson ..... Scots to be proud of! :thumbsup:

3. preacher4truth

Shucks, I am certainly wrong about that!!!!! :tongue3:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well both are Celtic! nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup:

Perhaps your thinking of Iain Murray, "the Doctors" biographer.

5. preacher4truth

I don't know but I was clearly wrong, but I do have one of Murray's books in line for reading 'The Forgotten Spurgeon'.

6. preacher4truth

I need to add June Hunt to my list as well. Under the category of 'worst'.

Her and her self-esteem gospel make me nauseated.

On the phone with people to lead them in a salvation prayer -- sin not touched upon -- but what is touched upon is how great and valuable they are. "You're so great and valuable, that is why Jesus died for you! Instead of 'Jesus died for you because you are lost, in sin, and alienated from him by your own wicked works and hostile mind!'

I'm of the opinion you can't get saved until you know you're lost. I see nowhere in Gospel preaching in the NT during the apostles from Acts on where this was EVER preached.

'You're so great, therefore God wants to save you! Would you like Him to save you?'

Come on, man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like Apostle of Rev Schular, the need to have the reformation of the gospel of low self esteem!

8. preacher4truth

This self-esteem message was rampant in our culture -- we needed to help little Johnny, the one who skipped out on school, disobeyed his parents, used drugs, and lived adulterously feel better about himself. That's an extreme example, but where in Scripture are we told to make sinners feel better about themselves?

I think self-esteem propaganda has been on the wrong track as self-esteem is not the issue and perhaps if some have a poor self image they rightfully deserve it. Look around these days, we see a vast amount of kids who have a sense of entitlement and are narcissistic to boot.

Any time I hear a preacher, yes June Hunt included (and anyone else for that matter) start off on this topic, I turn that psycho-babble off and listened to something else.

- Blessings

#28 preacher4truth, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  9. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Off subject!!! I know nothing of June Hunt except she is out of Plano, Tx., it looks as if everyone is over there. I recall when Plano was a small town at best. I met H.L. Hunt years ago when his bean co. sponsored a very conservative radio program.
    When his boys were have their problem with silver, I started reading all I could find on H.L. Hunt. He sure was one fascinating man. I love biographies.

10. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really Great Post....

....I have enjoyed reading the comments, and I don't disagree with much that is written. In fact, I appreciated reading everyone's solid input and opinions.

May I add, without tooooooo much condemnation, that there are some good preachers on TBN. It's just that one must be spiritually and Scripturally sound enough to separate the gold from the trace elements. Unfortunately there more trace elements floating around than gold, but, there is enough to warrant listening and allowing the Holy Ghost to let you glean that which is of Him, and that which is of that showman standing before the cameras trying to gain a name for themself.

Again, this was a great topic, and I did enjoy everyone's input. :wavey:

BTW - please don't assume that I listen to TBN on a regular basis. I just happen to be surfing and come across some holy hollowing, and when I settle in, I find some interesting stuff. It's like going to a garage sale. Every so often, you find something well worth the time and fifty cents you shelled out of your spare change! The problem is two-fold: First, you can't grow on what you hear; and second, if you believed half of what you heard, you'd be in deep trouble....still, it makes for interesting viewing when everything else on television is a rerun or just plain gross and worldly......:laugh:

#30 righteousdude2, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2013
  11. glazer1972

glazer1972 Member

One of the worst is Joel Osteen.

12. IAMWEAK_2007

IAMWEAK_2007 Member

Mine's Best are as follows

David Pawson
    Charles Stanley
    Warren Wiersbe, I have his Old and New testament exposition on books as well.
    John Vaughn

It doesn't bother me the worst as I forget them right away.......

13. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

My Best And Worst...

Her's my list..Preachers that I have either heard in person or on radio,internet or recorded means...(I'm NOT much on TV preachers)

They Are:
    Best....
    My Pastor-Bro.Stuart Houston
    Bro.Lester Roloff
    Pastor James W.Knox
    Dr.M.R.DeHaan
    Dr.Harold B.Sightler
    Brian McBride
    Dr.R.Larry Brown
    Dr.Bob Jones Sr.
    Dr.Oliver B.Green
    John Vaughn
    Dr.John Monroe
    Dr.Jim Berg
    Dr.Walt Handford
    Dr.David Jeremiah

Worst....
    (note-this list is shorter because I try NOT to listen to preachers I don't like!)
    No names...only..
    ANY Calvinist
    ANY Charismatic
    ANY Prosperity "Gospel" preacher
    ANY current TV preachers that I am aware of
    ANY Preacher who feels compelled to constantly "correct" the text of the AV (For the record...I will NOT sit under the preaching of any man who regularly preaches from any Bible other than the KJV....any that do would definitely be on my "Worst" list)

Bro. Greg:saint:

14. preacher4truth

You've named a few good preachers in your list.

I find it unfortunate you won't listen to any Calvinist preacher -- I'd say that is to your detriment spiritually and apologetically as well. Two I would suggest are Dr. Erwin Lutzer and John MacArthur Jr.

What preacher do you have in mind that feels compelled to constantly correct the AV? Do you also reject preachers who use the Greek language in their messages?

I agree with you on Charismatic along the lines of WoF preachers in particular.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Best Preachers

Charles Stanley
    Andy Stanley
    Ravi Zacharias
    David Jeremiah
    Charles Swindoll

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He uses the NKJV? Is that okay?
    He uses both the NKJV as well as the NIV. Is that okay with you?

Would you acknowledge that hearing a Calvinistic preacher on Sermonaudio.com is better than listening to a Charismatic or Prosperity "Gospel" preacher?

Do you acknowledge that there are preachers God has raised up who preach from versions other than the KJV tradition?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Has anyone mentioned James McDonald? I really enjoy listening to him.

18. preacher4truth

Yes. I mentioned him on my best list -- not that you actually read what I said! :tear: :tongue3:

And it's MacDonald!!!!!

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John macArthur
    james M Boice
    RC Sproul
    james D kennedy

All calvinist, Dr Kennedy/Boice with the Lord now, NONE of them any good on teaching?

20. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

Wait. That lunatic was on BB?? Really? Tell me you have a link to a thread or remember his screenname... The comedic value must be amazing!