1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Best & Worst Preacher's You've Listened To

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preacher4truth, May 31, 2013.

1. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

So Charles Spurgeon was one of the worst preachers you've heard of?

George Whitefield and Jonathan Edwards were bad preachers??

William Carey was a bad preacher?

Wow.

When I was an all-out full fledged five point Arminian I had better sense than that!!!

What kind of redneck, isolated, backwards soul would think some of history's finest preachers are terrible?!?!

#41 Luke2427, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He's going to say preachers that he has heard in person,on the radio,internet or other recoded means. although some of Spurgeon's sermons as well as A.W.Pink's are on sermonaudio.com with someone providing the voice of course.

GPS,have you ever listened to Dr.M-L-J? It was pointed out bbefore. Don't be so quick to prejudge. Hear some calvinitic preachers out. Or you can rad from their works.

P.S. Some even use the KJV! That may be a plus for you.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't need to go that route Luke.

4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I do not think the Apostles preached from the KJV ....

5. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Only for a chuckle Luke, not meant to disparage MS, we in Alabama have to take every opportunity to point out that we are #49. :)

[​IMG]

6. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :tongue3:

7. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

You are probably right.

But it is rather infuriating to me that anyone would spew such hateful ignorance in public like the idea that all Calvinist preachers are bad.

You cannot be intelligent and say such a thing.

You cannot have a decent heart and say that.

I honestly don't think even the likes of Christopher Hitchens would have said such a thing!

I have all the respect in the WORLD for men like Wesley, Tozer, Adrian Rogers, etc...

How is it that a person could be that backwards to make such a statement as that!

8. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I can appreciate that good jab.

I will say, however, that Mississippi's numbers are the results of extremes.

We have excellent universities, very gifted authors, tremendous hospitals, etc...

We have many schools that do compete on a national level.

But our numbers are pulled way down by the myriad of very bad schools in very primitive communities like those in the Delta or inner cities like Jackson.

Alabama also is a wonderful place to get a very good public school education in many places, but the likes of inner city places like the heart of Birmingham pulls your numbers down, too.

I'm not disparaging blacks in what I am about to say, but Mississippi has the highest percentage of blacks of any state in the union.

It is not that they are black, mind you, that causes them to pull down the numbers- it is that the black culture in many parts of Mississippi is riddled with fatherless homes, utter poverty, entitlement mentality, and a general lack of concern for education, etc...

This pulls the numbers way down.

But it does not negate the fact that there are also many VERY GOOD public and private schools and universities here.

But I appreciate the jab. It was well timed and effective.:applause:

#48 Luke2427, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
  9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Believe you me!!!!! We are dealing with a culture in education severely lacking, while being asked to be accountable for students success in college in Alabama every bit as much as anywhere in the nation. A result, at least in part, due to our capitalistic success in the world. In truth, it is every bit as much a spiritual problem.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Read THE Title

First of all Luke...none of the ones you have mentioned ever tried to beat folks over the head with Calvin's "Institutes" as some folks here are so adept at doing.

Second of all...I have never HEARD any of these men preach. The THREAD we are currently in is entitled "Best and Worst Preacher's You've LISTENED To". I do,however, respect the Christian works of these great men of faith from the past even though I may disagree with some of what they believed.

Pay better attention...and in the future brother...if you can't offer something more edifying to say than your last sentence in that post...then please do me a favor and SAY NOTHING...and leave me alone. I am neither redneck, isolated OR backwards. I did find what you said completely offensive....but I wish you no ill and I do forgive you. Just thought it would be right to let you know how I felt (past tense) about the matter.

One last thing...you may notice (or you may not have) that I called NO NAMES in my "Worst" list....just what I regard as errant doctrinal positions or "camps". I don't regard EVEN THOSE ON MY "BEST" LIST as infallible or by any means perfect. If you look deep enough you can find a few spiritual "warts" on all of them. Do I respect them?....YES, definitely....do I "worship" or blindly follow any of them?...no way.

Bro.Greg:saint:

11. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

Rippon...I'll try to answer

I presume you are talking about the Dr.John Monroe who is Pastor of Faith Baptist Church in Taylors,SC? I have never heard him preach in person but used to listen to Faith's 15 min. radio broadcast on the local radio station in Greenville SC at 5:30am each morning (until WMUU sold the station and ceased broadcasting). I never heard him preach from anything other than the KJV. He is a wonderful preacher of God's Word.

As to David Jeremiah...yes...I know what he uses but he is a good preacher. Knows how to deliver a good message. I wouldn't "seek him out" but if he was preaching on the radio while I was on the road working, I have listened to him with interest.

Sure I would....! Any day of the week and twice on Sunday...but I'd still turn it off if they got on the stuff about that kind of doctrine that I disagree with. I just don't need to listen to it. Point is Rippon, no disrespect intended, I'm just have no desire to listen to anything I regard as error...JUST TO BE LISTENING TO IT. I think we all, regardless of what belief we embrace, tend to flock like "moths to the flame" to that which we hold dear...and avoid that that we do not.

Frankly...I'm not sure what I'd say to that. I will say this...if I am true to my KJVO roots (in the english-speaking world)...then I question the use of any other english version in preaching and teaching God's Word to english audiences. I believe we had more wisdom and less confusion in the local assemblies when most everybody was using only the KJV in the pulpit and the pew. I will go to my grave or up in the rapture (hopefully soon) believing that.

Bro.Greg:saint:

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Best
    D James Kennedy (same denomination I grew up in, Dad gave to his ministry)
    Charles Stanley
    RC Sproul
    Reading Spurgeon
    WA Criswell (saw him at First Baptist, Dallas, Sermon: The Eyes of God)
    Billy Graham
    Grady Wilson
    Reading Knox, Luther, and Wesley

Used to like, no longer do
    John Hagee
    Rick Warren
    John Calvin

Worst
    Joel Olsteen
    Paul Washer
    Robert Tilton
    Pat Robertson
    Oral Roberts
    Jerry Falwell
    Benny Hinn
    Norman Peale
    Jack Van Impe
    Ernest Angsley
    Kenneth Copeland
    Mr. Crystal Cathedral Schuller

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

SN---------------son----if Dr. Falwell knew he made the same list as my buddy, benny Hiinn, Jack Van Impe, Kenny Copeland & Oral Roberts-----let alone, be on the same "short list" as your buddy, Joel Olsteen----he(Jerry) would rise up from the grave and haunt your livin'!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

14. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Not if I send him a ten dollar donation. Then he will pray for me and send a prayer cloth and a "I love Jesus" pin.

15. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please tell me how Paul Washer makes your s**t list SN.

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would be glad to. We are a small church, conservative, and most of the members are older. Paul Washer has been to our church twice, and never again. He had our congregation torn apart and angry for months.

He is a good sales person, and he uses the same pattern, whether on at a local church, or at the larger assemblies like on U Tube. He whips the crowd into a frenzy of cheering, thinking he is talking about the outside world being lost and headed for hell. Then he uses the same phrase every time: "Why are you cheering, I am talking about you." It goes downhill from there. He did not know one person in our church, their character, their relationship with Jesus Christ, or their ministries. He goes on to belittle and demean the congregation. I consider him a snake oil salesman, and will never darken our church doors again if I have anything to say about it. It has nothing to do with his supposed strong support of God's sovereignty, as I agree with that.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I've heard him a few times at different churches in my travels and I believe you are correct. It like he has learned one note on his guitar and he is sticking to it.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's a curious mix. You actually put Billy Graham in the list as one of your favorite preachers? He and Schuller are on the same page. "The wideness of God's mercy." Do you remember that?

Do you really know Knox's works? What do you like best?The First Blast of the Trumpet?

Nowhere else would anyone find these three linked together. It's a mystery why anyone would group them together.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Because I do not have a closed mind and limit my reading. The point is, what you think should be linked to me is worthless, as is your discernment of a Godly character.

Knox is basically the founder of the Presbyterian church.

20. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Thank you. I thought I would get a barrage of insults for that one. The thread asked for our opinions of best and worst pastors, and that is my opinion. I heard Hagee in person several times. I used to like his end times theology.