1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beyond Calvinism & Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Someone gave me the book "Beyond Calvinism & Arminianism" to read today. I have read 3 chapters and wanted to post a few lines here and there and get some feedback.

The book is by C. Gordon Olson who claims he is not a Calvinist nor a Arminian, but rather a "mediate". What I have read so far would say he is an Arminian.

page 54..

same page same subject talking about Hodge words on Gods decree..
    Section G "The decrees of God relate to all events". Olson says...
    more to come later

I'll save my thoughts for last. I wish to hear others thoughts.

Thanks

2. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Sorry...

One more and I'll be quit for a while.

On page 61 section called "The Self-limitations of Gods Sovereignty"

Olson says this verse proves God does not rule over all things.

Same page...
    Olson says this verse proves "God chose to greatly limit the exercise of His own sovereignty" (i kid you not)
    :)

#2 Jarthur001, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  3. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

ok..I give up :)

Never mind this thread. I was hoping I could read the whole book, but there are some many holes in it that it about made me half sick. :tear:

Olson has such a low view of God. He did manage to support one thing which I agree with.

Classic Arminianism is much closer to Calvinism then what we see posted day after day on this board. I have said that for years.

Other than this one thing, the book is full of holes and way to much rambling about nothing. Its about 500 pages....but not worth 50 pages of good.

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There truly is no such thing as a "median" in these two theologies.
    Some here have tried to project themselves as Biblicists, whatever that means.
    But when you get right down to the nuts and bolts of what they believe, they're really Arminians, either of today's mold, or the classic one.

5. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

As you can see from my poll, I see it as more monergism vs synergism - those terms seem to cut through the bias of "name-based" debates straight to the core of the issue.

6. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Right, the "median" view is riddled with internal inconsistancies.

Here's what I've always wanted to ask about this idea of "self-limitation" - if one claims that God is not sovereign in salvation by some self-limitation, then one is admitting by default that God CAN save a soul by His omnipotent power, right? (Is His hand shortened, that He cannot save?)

Good, now that we've established that God CAN save by his omnipotent power, can we admit that man CANNOT save himself since all come short of the glory of God?

Good, now that we've established that God CAN save by His omnipotent power, and man CANNOT save himself, we can clearly see that in order for man to be saved, God MUST save man by His omnipotent power if man - any man - is to be saved.

And we know that he DOES save men by His omnipotent power, for there are many of us that were made willing in the day of His visitation! Neat how it all comes together, eh? Soli Deo Gloria!

#6 J.D., Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  7. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

Good stuff brother. :) :)

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, glad to contribute. I think I got the idea from Steve Lawson while reading "A Long Line of Godly Men".

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Absolutely true.
    Either you are a monergist, which is a Biblicist or you are a synergist which is decidedly unBiblical.

10. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

AMEN, fellow J.D.! :)

11. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

JD, did you catch my greeting back in one of your TULIP threads? Just remember I'm the SENIOR RANKING JD AROUND HERE! Just kidding! Welcome. I used to post a lot but for the last year or so I only make occasional visits due to a busy work/home/church schedule. BTW your're right about monergism vs synergism, but there are some around BB that want to confuse what that means too. Straighten them out brother!

12. skypair

skypair Active Member

Group hug! :1_grouphug: Cheese! Oh, that's what all that twittering WAS! Cheese!

Good ... that ought to be great for the "family album." :laugh:

Now ... seriously. How many of you are married? What did you have to do to get your wife to marry you, Mr. Sovereignty? "Arrange" the marriage with her dad when she was 2 years old? Give her no choice in the matter? What were the "sweet nothings" you told her after you were married -- after she was "regenerated" -- that made her "most willingly and irresistibly" accept her fate?

You do realize, don't you, that your thesis sounds more like Islam than Christianity?

skypair

#12 skypair, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2008
  13. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Well, as a good Reformed Baptist, I certainly respect my elders :D

Thanks for the warm welcome :wavey:

14. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

But didn't God limit Himself by requiring the death of His Son on the cross to provide the hope of salvation to man? Couldn't He in His Sovereignty simply decreed that man be saved rather than taking this arduous path. Clearly, He chose to "limit Himself" such that salvation could only be obtained through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

15. jdlongmire

jdlongmire New Member

Not "limit" - "glorify".

Ezekiel 39:13
    "Even all the people of the land will bury them; and it will be to their renown on the day that I glorify Myself," declares the Lord GOD.

Isaiah 48:11
    For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it,for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another.

John 8:54
    Jesus answered, " If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, 'He is our God';

16. skypair

skypair Active Member

jdl,

You seem to be having a problem with the concept of "cause and effect." Glory does not stand alone. There is a reason -- a cause -- for it to occur. The "glory" was the resurrection, not the submission unto death.

Just like salvation. In order for the "calling" to salvation/regeneration to be called "effectual," there had to be 1) hearing and comprehending of the gospel and 2) repentance on the part of the one being "called." Cause: hearing, understanding, and repenting. Effect: Salvation/regeneration.

skypair