1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beyond reasonable?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by 1Tim115, Jun 28, 2010.

1. 1Tim115

1Tim115 New Member

Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

“mercies of God”
    “The word mercies here denotes favour shown to the undeserving, or kindness, compassion, etc.” Barnes New Testament Notes

Could we also say grace here? Favor to the undeserving is exactly what Christ showed toward all of us who are saved by His offering for us on the cross.

“living sacrifice”
    The Old Testament sacrifices were offered in a very specific and certain way, that is, God’s way. In the New Testament the only sacrifice God will have is the shed blood of His son. Jesus Christ is our living sacrifice. I believe Paul is saying we need to emulate that sacrifice Christ made for us, not on a cross but, in our activity.

“holy”
    I think what Paul is saying is the actions of Christians must be consecrated toward God without motive. Not only are our lives to be consecrated but, our service is to be consecrated unto God. If we put any of our human defects or motives into it we profane it as much as improper altar sacrifice under the law. That of course doesn’t mean we will be consumed by fire for activity out of personal motivation but, God may not accept it.

“acceptable unto God”
    We need to consider who we are performing an activity toward. It doesn’t matter if the activity is time given or effort required. God wants us to give from the heart to purely honor and praise Him.

“reasonable”
    Reasonable, what does this word bring to mind? Does it bring to mind someone who is willing to listen or ready to submit to another? I believe it means someone who comes or goes without assumption, without preconception. But, it may also ascribe to moderation and to some degree average.

Pray for the grace to perform the service and for the peace of God to give Him all the glory and praise. When we therefore set out to perform service to God, let us go forth with the purpose of heart to achieve beyond reasonable service and submitted to His will. Jesus Christ went beyond reasonable for our sakes; Lord give me grace to go beyond reasonable for Him.