1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Beyond Ruckman?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by AF Guy N Paradise, May 10, 2005.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ruckman gets bashed on here so much that you would think he was the anti-Christ. As I am looking for IFB churches at my new destination, I came across about a dozen solid IFB churches that do not agree with Ruckamn, but are KJV (P). It is funny because many on here assume IFB= Ruckman and KJVO, but that isn't the case at all.

Anyway, I did find one church that takes an extreme KJV view (Only one) and some of the pastor's comments were new to me. This is what he said below:

There is a sign on our pulpit that says, "No Hebrew or Greek, King James English Only". I tell those who speak in our pulpit that if they use a Hebrew or Greek word, or try to define an English word with the Greek or Hebrew,l to say "Amen", because their message is over. Our stand on the King James Bible goes beyond that of Peter Ruckman, in that he has Greek and Hebrew words in every one of his books.

Has anyone heard of this kind of view? We would never join this church, but I am interested in where he gets his views. He has a radio show he has been doing for like 15 years and mentions this topic every week and he is still going strong. I am not here to bash or judge his view, but wondering if anyone else has heard a similar view? Our pastor always says that, "People can be sincere, but be sincerely wrong".

God Bless.

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Sounds like the KJVO myth has eaten holes in his brain...

3. David J

David J New Member

My former KJVO pastor said basically the same thing. He used to bash the Greek and Hebrew by saying all we need is the KJV.

I feel that his view is a mixture of Ruckman's advanced revelation a.k.a KJVO Ex Cathedra and a strong personal preference based on only using the KJV. Not every KJVO feels this way.

He may be sincere and a very good preacher of the gospel but he is dead wrong on the Greek and Hebrew.

Now before anyone attempts the jump me about the Ruckman statement, I would like to clarify that not every KJVO follows Ruckman. To call every KJVO a Ruckman would be like trying to call everyone who is KJV preferred a KJVOist. Yes Ruckman teaches some heresies that are 180 to the scriptures and he should be corrected and avoided like the black(like that 10 foot tall anti-christ lipps Ruckman revealed to us while reading the KJV) plague.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll hafta ask some friends who minister to the inmates of the local Group Home for the Mentally-Challenged.(Known in everyday English as the insane asylum)

Such a facility looks like a good place for such muddlethink to have originated.

5. KJVO

KJVO New Member

I am not trying to start an argument here but in my humble opinion. The King James Bible and the Holy Spirit is all one needs to fully and completly understand all the Lord would have us to understand.
    I see no need to go to any Greek or Hebrew text. If I do not understand the meaning of a word I get an English dictionary just like I would for any other book I am reading.

6. KJVO

KJVO New Member

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.
    I am a KJVO and do not care for Peter Ruckman.

7. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Ruckman gets bashed on here so much that you would think he was the anti-Christ.

Hey, all bets are still on the table till the rapture. [​IMG]

8. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if this pastor consistently practices what he said. If this pastor reads from the KJV one of Hebrew or Greek words that were transliterated into English and used in the KJV in the text, will he stop his message?

9. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Sometime ask one of your Spanish speaking friends to translate Como estas? and Como esta? They will translate with the same English words but they will have a very different usage. It is the same with the Greek words for love. Everyone one of those Greek words has a different meaning translated by the word "love".

When Jesus speaks to Peter in John 21:15 two different Greek words are used for love (agapas and philw) while only one English word (love)is used.

Anyone who translates languages knows this is true. Because languages are connected to culture there are some things that are not able to even be translated.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

What English dictionaries do you trust to properly interpet the Word of God?

How did you pick the KJV?

Which of the several variants of the KJV do you use?

11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And when you consider that the original conversation may have been in Aramaic, the need for scholarship becomes more apparent.

12. KJVO

KJVO New Member

What English dictionaries do you trust to properly interpet the Word of God?

Which of the several variants of the KJV do you use?
    </font>[/QUOTE]/QUOTE]What English dictionaries do you trust to properly interpet the Word of God? I do not use one to interpet God's Word, I have that. I use a dictionary to find the definition of English words that I do not know, my lack of vocabulary skills not God's fault in the choice of a word. Websters 1828.

God wanted me to.

Which of the several variants of the KJV do you use? any one God tells me to.

Have a nice day [​IMG]

13. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What do you do with words that you think you know the definition for? For instance: communicate, prevent, let, conversation.

In some cases in the KJV, sentences using these words make sense with the modern definition although the older definition was the intent.

Two very good examples are 1 Peter 1:15 and 1 Peter 2:12.

There is nothing in the immediate context of these verses to tip the average reader off to the fact that conversation used to be used primarily to mean behavior- not speaking to someone.

14. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How did He communicate that to you?

Since it is not communicated to you in the text of the Bible as all true doctrine is, would you say that someone else might be led to use another version... say the NIV?

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mr. KJVO: (I assume you're a Mr. from your email handle...Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Why do I use several MVs? Why do I also use the KJV, the AV 1611, & the Geneva Bible?

Because God wants me to.

16. KJVO

KJVO New Member

That is between you and the Lord, I answer for myself and my family.

17. David J

David J New Member

KJVO,

Which KJV do you use and why?

Do you consider the AV1611 100% accurate and trustworthy?

Answer these simply questions in order for me to better understand you.

In Christ,

David J

18. KJVO

KJVO New Member

David J, I was saved 8 years ago, when I was first saved I started using a niv and nasb because I kept hearing on the radio that it and the nasb were the most accurate to the "original manuscripts". Then I discovered that there were no original manuscripts only copies and that there was a Huge disagreement on which ones of those
    were correct.
    Every time I asked a leader in my previous church which version was accurate, he told me basically that any one I chose would be.
    I started thinking on the matter and in a nutshell.
    I have read of all the revivals that have come to this country and all the things that God has done here in the United States when we were mostly a nation of one Bible, the KJB, and what has happened to this nation when we went to whatever bible "works" for you.
    I trust the King James Bible 100%
    Which KJV do you use and why?I know what you are asking ;) ......Cambridge Wide Margin, I like the leather

19. David J

David J New Member

Thank you for answering.

The Cambridge is the 1762 revision.

Nothing wrong with only using the good ol KJV. I have an Oxford (1769) KJV that is completely worn out from years of usage.

Do you have a reprint of the AV1611? If not you can download it for free from:

http://www.e-sword.net/index.html

Wal-Mart also sells a hard back 1611 for $18.00.

I think that you will find the AV1611 very useful in your studies.

I am not against KJV preferred people but I am 100% against KJVOism. The 1611 has some interesting notes in it about other translations that expose some myths about the AV.

I’m NASB (1995) preferred but I still love the KJV! It’s a wonderful translation of the Word of the Most High.

By the way E-Sword also has fine English bibles like the Geneva and Bishops Bible.

In Christ,

David J

20. KJVO

KJVO New Member

Thanks David J for the info.
    I am definitly a KJVO.... but only with those I am responsible for. With everyone else
    I...just... don't....care...

Enjoyed talking to you, Take Care.
    In Christ, Hugh Floyd [​IMG]