1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bi-Vocational Pastorate

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by USN2Pulpit, Mar 26, 2003.

1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Are there any of you out there?

I'm interested in hearing of some of the challenges and rewards faced by men who are called to pastor these small churches that don't have "full-time" salaries to pay.

What are the challenges that are unique to bi-vocational ministry?

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "burden" on the ministry/church is 100% while the available time (because of working 20+ hours a work at the clinic) for every facet of the church ministry is limited.

Even on my recent "vacation" I could never get away from working through messages (in my mind) and other church-related programs. Grrrr.

And our elders wonder why I am so strong in advocating a sabbatical policy for the new full-time pastor coming in June.

3. boogaloog

boogaloog Guest

I think 1 of the greatest challenages is realizing the church work is priority no matter what. it will mean several late night studies. I'M AT my 1st pastorate and it has been the most thrilling time of my life.

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Please forgive my ignorance...what is "sabbatical policy?"

5. Mark R

Mark R New Member

I pastor a Baptist church in a small farming town of 900. I drive school buses, substitute teach, work in the harvest and drive tractor and semis. I really started this not so much for the extra income (I'm full time and paid by the church) but to meet people, establish friendships and relationships with community folk. This has proven to be a real blessing. I'm in my 13th year here and can't even imagine living in the big city anymore. Bi-vocational ministry suits me fine, though I'm not the classic example of it. Driving a huge John Deere 9200 tractor is like a day off.

6. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a bivocational Associate Pastor.

In one way it is great to not have my income based soley on a church. Keeps me from poverty since churches can be very fickle and frugal.

Downside is that 40 hours plus commute time is eaten up by a job limiting what I can do.

I have done a sermon on this you can read. Hope it is helpful!

http://www.sermoncentral.com/contributor_sermon.asp?SermonID=36586&ContributorID=5141&NameFirst=Ronald&NameLast=Shultz&ImageName=5141ronkare2%2Ejpg&ImageHeight=235&CN=Maverick+Mini stry&CWeb=home%2Eearthlink%2Enet%2F%7Erfbunting%2Findex%2Ehtml

7. BM

BM New Member

Maverick, enjoyed your sermon. Our pastor is a bivocational pastor and we do not believe that he should have to do all the duties that a full time pastor would, but some small churches do and then the pastor ends up not being able to have enough time to get into the word enough to feed the people

I have also seen some young pastors that think they should handle all situations by themselves and end up over loaded and not being able to feed the people.

Hope I was allowed to post here in the pastoral section if not forgive me.

8. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Thanks for all the comments here. I appreciate your thoughts...and more too, if anyone has them.

9. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I am not ordained. Just a pastoral intern. I work full time and so does my pastor and our senior pastor. We believe that is the best way to do things. The church is not burdened to support us financially. The flip side is that the church needs to share in ministry and has to realize that they will have share their pastor with the secular job required to support his household. By the way the pastor is paid as is the senior pastor, but I am on a voulenteer status.