1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Commentaries in Sermon Preparation

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TheWinDork, Jun 14, 2006.

1. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I started this subject elsewhere, and was advised to start a new topic. So here goes!

What does everyone think of Bible Commentaries? I Love them, myself, there are some KJV, Fundies who hate them, I'll never understand them simple minded people, at all.

The one I wanna get soooooo bad is... this one..:

http://www.northstarministries.com/understanding.htm

I have some on e-sword as well... They are...:

Core group:

1. MATTHEW POOLE
    2. Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible
    3. Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible
    4. A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown

Others:
    Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
    John Lightfoot,A Commentary of the New Testament from the Talmud and Hebraica.
    Synopsis of the Old and New Testaments by John Nelson Darby
    1599 Geneva Bible Translation Notes
    John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible by Dr. John Gill
    John Calvin's Commentary
    Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament
    Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible
    The Treasury of David by Charles Haddon Spurgeon (For Psalms)
    WORD PICTURES IN THE NEW TESTAMENT by Archibald Thomas Robertson
    Scofield Reference Notes (1917 Edition) by Cyrus Ingerson Scofield
    A Testimony of Jesus Christ: Commentary on the Book of Revelation By Anthony C. Garland.
    Treasury of Scriptural Knowledge by Canne, Browne, Blayney, Scott, and others
    Vincent's Word Studies by Marvin R. Vincent, D.D.
    John Wesley's Explanatory Notes on the Whole Bible

also... reason Scofield isn't in the core group... is because I already own a Scofield Bible.

Now, if I could get all those in hard print... I'd have to buy my own house! :laugh:

Okay, my question is this, which one of the above do you use in your aid to preparing sermons? If it's not listed, please feel free to share which one you use and why. If you use any of the above, please share as to why you like using it. I'll do the same here...:

1. MATTHEW POOLE --- I like Matthew Poole because for one, his commentary was written a little after the KJV was finished. and also because it complements the King James Version rather than tries to correct it, also, I enjoy it, because it's not overly Calvinistic. There's a scant reference to the Elect in one spot. But other than that. it's fine.

2. Matthew Henry’s Commentary on the Whole Bible - I enjoy Matthew Henry's writing style, Now I'll be honest with you, there's a couple places where Henry gets into his own personal opinion or uses his imagination. (Case in Point: when noah releases the Bird after then flood.) But over all it's a decent commentary.

3. Albert Barnes' Notes on the Bible - I enjoy this commentary because of it's complexity and because it breaks down things where I can understand it, I don't read this one constantly... just when I'm stumped on something and need an opinion. :D

4. A Commentary on the Old and New Testaments by Robert Jamieson, A. R. Fausset and David Brown -- See above #4

Anyone else? :D

-WTD

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Commentaries are a great tool. However I think some (myself included at times) turn too quickly to them instead of soaking in the text and forming your own thoughts.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I really enjoy the NIV Application series. Typically, the authors don't run from the issues, but they also try to bridge the gap to the modern age.

For more indepth, technical studies, the Word Biblical Commentary series is superb.

Though I haven't used a whole lot of them, the Baker Exegetical Series is very good.

And, if you can afford it, the New International Greek Testament commentary is very, very good.

I do usually consult Robertson's Word Pictures. It's very good for exegesis.

4. pituophis

pituophis New Member

MacArthur, Preaching the Word series (Kent Hughes), and others

5. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

I agree with PastorSBC1303 that it's too easy to consult the commentaries to early in the process rather than study the passage yourself first. WE must guard aginst this!

As StefanM said Robertson's is good for the NT. I would offer the Expositor's Bible Commentary (Gaebelein) and NICNT (Fee) series as a whole and it's companion, the NICOT for Old Testament study.

Here's link to two excellent articles on commentaries:

http://www.tms.edu/tmsj/tmsj4h.pdf

http://www.tms.edu/tmsj/tmsj4d.pdf

Enjoy!

6. mnw

mnw New Member

I like your list windork.

I like a lot of Gill's writings but he can be too calvinistic for my liking in some places. His writing on John 3:16 is a real eye opener. :)

Ironsides commentaries are good and so too are Phillips.

Commentaries certainly have a high place, but when sermons simply become a conglomerate of commentaries rather than helps and supplements to what the Lord has given then they are a problem.

7. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

You mean this? :D

I like it. alot of truth in it.

-WTD

#7 TheWinDork, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  8. GARick

GARick New Member

To reiterate advice offered previously in the thread, I begin with prayer and contemplation and refer to commentaries later in the process. Two of my favorites are:

The Bible Knowledge Commentary

Dr. Constables Expository Notes (www.soniclight.com - click “Study Notes” then the Bible book of your choice.)