1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Facism and KJVO

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Orvie, Feb 16, 2004.

1. BrianT

BrianT New Member

A response to the quote about Genesis will take a little longer than I thought, as there are quite a few pages I want to read and scan first. Hopefully sometime this weekend. Although I will say now that the context is about the Divine record of the O.T., and that sometimes language is non-literal but that is no reason to cause us to doubt the truth of the O.T. or reject its authority. Many orthodox Christians, and most Anglicans, believe that the beginning of Genesis is poetical in form - not that it isn't true, but that it just isn't in "literal" form.

In fact, later on in that quote you provided, Westcott goes on to say "(Poetry is, I think, a thousand times more true than History : this is a private parenthesis for myself alone)". There are also numerous other places he affirms the truth of the first chapters of Genesis (thus a fully reply will have to wait until I've scanned several pages for you), but one I already have prepared is where he says:

"I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth...This acknowledgement of God as the Creator of things visible and invisible brings with it many deep and helpful thoughts. It reminds us that as all that is came into existence by the will and power of God, so it is sustained by Him alone; for the fact of creation involves the necessity of preservation, of unfolding. It reminds us that the greatest and least objects by which we are surrounded, the Sun in its glory and the stars in their countless multitude: mountains and all hills: fruitful trees and all cedars: beasts and all cattle: worms and feathered fowls were made by Him who made us, and that they therefore fill a place in His vast counsel of love, and minister to His glory." ("The Historic Faith", B.F. Westcott, page 38, 1890)

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian, as we were all sinners before we were saved, we've all said & done things we wouldn't do now. I don't think either W or H was any different.

And even if they were Buddhists, that doesn't mean God couldn't or wouldn't use them. He used the pagan Assyrians to punish Israel & the pagan Chaldeans to punish Judah, even causing Nebuchadnezzar to attack Jerusalem from the readings of pagan fortunetelling methods. I believe all that may have gone over the KJVOs' heads.

It's just more of the great KJVO double standard that they believe an article full of dishonest misquotes of what each of those men had written in letters to their families, & other writings, instead of digging deeper as you have done, to see what those two men REALLY wrote, in its full context.