1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible? Inspired or Expired?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Herb Evans, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Evans:You freedom readers are not free, if you have no scriptural view of inspiration or preservation, something that you refuse to address.

A Freedom reader is one who is free to read the Scriptures from any valid version one chooses, free of such dead weights as the KJVO myth. We have no doctrine of our own to push, so therefore we need not invoke Scripture to support our view....all we're doing is rejecting YOUR doctrine for lack of evidence. OTOH, the KJVO myth IS a doctrine, and MUST be supported to be true.

I have not been avoiding Dr. Cassidy, he has been avoiding me after I challenged his man-made doctrine of "derivative" inspiration.

No, Jesus was not using the wrong version. But what version do you think that He was using? Huh? Do you think that He was using the wrong version? Do you think that He was reading it in Greek in Luke 4:16-21? Huh?

Some believe He was reading from the LXX. Others believe He was reading from another Hebrew text, a vorlage, if you will. Whatever He was reading from, it did NOT match the Ben Chayyim Text from which the KJV's Old Testament was translated.

Same with what the Ethiopian in Acts 8 read...it does NOT match Isaiah 53, which is clearly the Scriptures he was reading from.

I don't know what versions Jesus or the Ethiopian were reading from, and neither do you. But we DO know that Jesus' audience understood it, and that Philip understood what the Ethiopian was reading....and they don't match the text from which the KJV's OT was translated.

That's your justification? Hmmmm? Yopu still have not given us scripture for your views on inspiration and preservation. Why? You must do that before we can ever get to your multi-version freedom. -- Herb Evans

We'll get around to that, GOD WILLING, if you can ever justify the KJVO myth. That challenge has been on the table a LONG time now, with no correct answers being offered. This challenge was automatically created when some men declared that the KJV was the only valid English Bible translation. THEY failed to PROVE it, and YOU'RE not doing so hot either.

And again, YOU have the burden of proof, not I, as I'm not trying to push any new doctrine. I'm denying YOURS, for lack of Scriptural support, or any other evidence.

2. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you have deliberately introduced some cats into a dog pound, common sense shoulda told you beforehand to expect some lively activity.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Inspiration is right where it always was, in the Hebrew and Greek words God inspired. The English of the KJV can only claim derivative inspiration due to its being translated from the directly inspired Hebrew and Greek. :)

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Evans, please feel free to read as many or as few of the archives here as you choose, and please copy-n-paste any post that says the KJV( or any of the versions preceding it) has expired.

As God has chosen to keep His word readily readable and understandable in all the world's major languages, He has caused people to make new translations to keep up with the changes in those languages. There's simply no sensible denial of that fact. I have stated many times that this does NOT cause any valid BV in any language to lose its validity. Now, did the Geneva Bible cause the Great Bible, authorized by Henry VIII, to lose its validity, even though Myles Coverdale worked on both those versions? Did the Bishop's Bible make the Geneva non-valid? Did the AV 1611 cause all the earlier English Bibles to become non-valid?

An analogy is the Ford Model-T. It was the best car in the USA in 1908 for everyday use. Sure, there were other makes & models available, but the Model-T outsold'em all.(It sold some 15 MILLION units!) It ruled the roost until 1927, until replaced by the more-modern Model-A. But the Model-T, to this day, is still a valid car. it can be licensed in any of the 50 states & is legal to operate anywhere any other car is. Did the Model-A, or Packard, Studebaker, Chevy, Doozy, or any other more-advanced car cause the Model-T's status as a car to expire?

Same with the KJV, or any other older Bible that was valid on the day of its completion....their validity will never expire. But will they be replaced? Of course. The KJV replaced(NOT invalidated) all the English versions before it, just as the KJV itself is being replaced(NOT invalidated) by modern versions. Although the Great Bible is little-used, if used at all for its INTENDED use, it's still a valid English Bible.

No, Bibles don't expire nor lose their validity; they're replaced in common use by more modern versions, same as car models are. This is GOD'S doing, not ours. He chooses for His word to be rendered in current language & causes those whom He chooses to make such versions, same as He chose certain men to make the Geneva Bible, and the AV 1611.

5. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

See my link in previous post

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Nothing new

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.