1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Leather

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by hawg_427, Dec 16, 2006.

1. hawg_427

hawg_427 Member

I just got a Zondervan NASB Study Bible in Top Grain leather. I guess I'm spoiled since I have a Calfskin Bible also. I thought the leather since it was genuine leather would be better, I wonder how long it takes to soften up? Would some saddlesoap loosen it up some? Had to find good quality leather these days.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you read that Bible a lot it will soften quickly.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bonded leather = glue and leather bits

Genuine leather = pig, usually

top grain = cowhide

morocco leather = goat skin

4. Samuel Owen

Samuel Owen New Member

Get some Neatsfoot oil, and apply lightly with a cloth. All leather needs the oil restored to it occasionally whether you use it or not - usually more if you do. After you apply it let it lay somewhere for a few hours and soak it up - then wipe off any excess. Don't drown it just do like I said apply lightly.

I restored an old Bible of my Dads I keep, that had gotten really dry over the years. Its as soft as any of my Bibles now. I usually do all of mine about once a year, and I have several. :)

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ya want good quality leather? Get the Bible DH got as a gift from our senior pastor when my DH was ordained last year:

http://www.jmarkbertrand.com/bibles/allans/index.htm

It's GORGEOUS and I love the leather on it - SO soft and makes me think of my beautiful dressage saddle (very fine leather too). It sits so beautifully in the hand - beyond a beautiful Bible AND the binding is guaranteed for life.

If you use the neatsfoot oil, know that it can make a big mess so go lightly - you can always add more but I've honestly found that just using it softens it up a bit.