1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Markings -- best method?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, May 2, 2012.

1. jprieto

jprieto New Member

I read the Bible a lot.
    And I get carried aways with margin notes, undelining, and other markings.

I only mark two topics: salvation by grace, and sacrificing all with great joy for the sake of God's mission on Earth. These are the only things I usually talk about with others. I do not get into doctrinal difference because if the other person truly buries his head in the word, he will come to the same conclusions as I have. THe scriptures are subject to ONE interpretation not many personal ones.

Anyways, to get back into the TOPIC of this thread.

My bibles are so heavily marked that it looks like the bible was accidentally left in a daycare and the kids needed a coloring book, as had their ways with it!!

But I have never seen any minister show a bible with so much messy markings.

Any lastest techniques recommended to mark the bible in a civilized manner?

How do you mark yours?

I've been using two bibles lately: a large print bible from localchurchbiblepublishers.com just for meditating and no markings ... and another one I got called TakeNote from Nelson publishers with tons on markings and margin notes.

I love them both.

I was searching for whatever workable (or scientific) method of bible marking that has been widely used and highly recommended.

What has worked for you?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the scribble-it-down method. :laugh:

But really, I am more of a note-taker. And if I do mark something in my Bible or if I jot something down on the back of an offertory envelope or what-not, I tend to log it also in my computer.

I have TONS of stuff on my computer that I refer to alot.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A Bible well written it shows a life changed by it.

It sounds like you would do well to get a journaling Bible! LOL

4. jprieto

jprieto New Member

Uhm...
    im looking into wide margin bible from LCBP

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

LCBP also has a note takers bible that has really huge margins for really serious note takers.

6. jprieto

jprieto New Member

so hard to choose which LCBP bible
    if they would only combine large print with wide margins ... wow!!

:)

7. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Try using E-Sword it has a note making capability and you can make as many as you want and still have commentaries, dictionaries and different translations.

8. jprieto

jprieto New Member

E-Sword sounds good
    but people these days take offense to electronic bibles (not me)
    so when i witness, best to use traditional printed bible to keep listener attentive at my message rather than profiling me to see if im a new age christian, you know?

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You've gotten alot of great ideas here.

About why the preacher's Bible is not marked up: The reason the Bible I preach from is not marked up is because i have a preaching Bible. I have a study Bible that is also marked up but I do more online.

I know that wasn't the point of the post and you were not saying anything against preachers.

10. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

When I am doing marking, heavy study marking, I print out the chapter I am working on. My bride uses and Inductive Study Bible, which teaches what and how to mark and has space for some notes.

Precept Ministries has some great studies for teaching how to study for themselves. Let the text teach you what the key terms are for a given pssage. For example, in a study on John you would be marking light, bread, love and hate (among many others). As you go through will have to slow down and make sure you are keeping the Father, the Son, and the Spirit straight. This also helps in learning how to support the Trinity from Scripture.

Using the inductive method I developed my own seminar and taught it at the last church I pastored in a short workshop.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

I have finally zero'd in on the perfect solution for me.

The yellow marker.

You just have to make sure its light enough that it doesnt bleed throug the page.

The "Zebra fine point" works wonderfully.

12. jprieto

jprieto New Member

uhm...
    yellow markers darkens over the years, i heard
    makes text hard to read, they say
    i never used it for that reason, i fear

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I've tried all kinds of things to mark my bible but the 2 that have worked the best are the Pigma Micron pens (archival, acid free, come in many colors) which are excellent for notes and underlining, and Hi Glider gel stick highlighter (acid free) which does not bleed through and glides easily. It's a solid crayon type highlighter, not a marker. It comes in several colors too but my fav is green.

14. gators_2006

gators_2006 New Member

If you go to a book store, you can get an actual bible highlighter. It has pink on one end and yellow on the other and is made to not bleed through the page. I've used one for years and so far it has never went through a page.

Also, if e-sword is not an option because having to be downloaded to a desktop or laptop, I have My-sword, which is the same thing, downloaded on my android.

15. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Ive been using yellow markers for many years and they have never darkened.