1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Bible Prophecy (Eschatology) Quiz

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Apr 12, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes the class has been going through a book called Charting the End Times. Its a sweep of bible prophecy, not a commentary on Revelation, but a overall sweep.

2. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This goes to tell me that you have not read seriously the book Charting the End Times. I suggest you try and read it.

3. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a Interlinear, Strongs Concordance, and Vines Dictionary but have not used them in a while but do own them and used them heavily during the days I was in a certain Calvinistic Bible Church and in SS in that church they dove deep.. Yes they really got into deep Bible Study there. The pastor was a master of the original languages and very educated and bible literate. I miss that church as the pastor died and I moved, but the near two years I was there will be missed. The church was small and in SS we all sat at tables including the pastor whom did not just lecture at people, but sat at the table with us and he led the studies. My present church has a similar teaching atmosphere, but they do not get as deep, but at least the SS format is good with the tables and all.

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have Vine's dictionary, but it went on a shelf a long time ago. I have Thayer's lexicon that I use some, but I really treasure Zodhiates' Complete Word Study Dictionary: New Testament:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/089957663X/?tag=baptis04-20

much more readable than Thayer's.

5. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have one of those in electronic format. A great tool for exegesis. My major problem is I am no longer in seminary, nor attending a church that gets that deep (although better than other churches), so how would I use it? These days I am finding my Crossway ESV Study Bible a great tool in Biblical Exegesis and Theology. Have you read it?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1433502410/?tag=baptis04-20

#25 evangelist6589, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  6. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Why in the world would I waste time reading more fiction by LaHaye, especially when it is based on dispensational error?

#26 OldRegular, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

8. OldRegular

Like Paul I believe God would have me minister to those who are ignorant of Scriptural Truth. As old brother James said:

James 5:19, 20
    19. Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
    20.Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

I try, I try but sometimes the road gets rough!

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, thank you, thank you:thumbs:

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taught

We'll i taught and we got through some of the review. However when we got to the Olivet Discourse I used Osteen as an example of a false Christ whom Jesus warned about and that set up a flame with one man whom claimed Osteen is saving lots of souls. I challenged him if Osteen ever preached on sin and repentance, hell or the like and the man had no answer. Other than that it went well. Based on another prophecy passage and the doctrine of immanency and rewards at the bema seat I said we need to be as active in evangelism as George Whitfield. I did

11. OldRegular

You got one thing correct. Osteen is a Word Faith Heretic masquerading as a Christian.

12. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't read the ESV study bible. I used to have Nelson's NKJV study bible and the separate commentary. The notes in the bible were only about a fourth of the full commentary. That was the best I had seen because it presented various views without being dogmatic.

But I gave them away several years ago.

As for exegetical commentary, there are two online which I have used in the past:

Bob Upton's freebiblecommentary.org
    Thomas Constable's study light. I don't remember the web address for that one.

Both do a good job of displaying various views without trying to make up your mind for you. And both have very extensive notes about context, customs, word usage, etc. Both are especially helpful for OT studies

As for Zodhiates' dictionary, I use it in conjunction with my interlinear, McReynolds' Word Study Greek-English New Testament. Both are numbered to Strong's system. The interlinear has a Greek concordance in the back, too.

So I can see what the words mean and various notes from Zodhiates, and see all the places a Greek word is used in the concordance.

By using them, I have come to a much better understanding of some often misused passages, such as Acts 2, Peter was speaking to believing Jews (verse 5). Nobody was justified that day, they were OT believers already.

Romans 10:9-13, Paul was not advocating a sinner's prayer, he was talking about being called by the name of the Lord. Not in a conversion context, but in a suffering context (compare to Matt 10). Call on (epikaleo) is the word used for Simon being "called by" Peter; John was "called by" Mark, also Joseph (Barsabbas) was "called by" Justus.

Philippians 1:6, when Paul spoke of the good work being carried to completion, he wasn't talking about Perseverance of the Saints, the good work was the money he was receiving from the Macedonians - financial partnership (verse 5).

Little gems like those, which can transform your understanding of scripture. There are others, too, like monogenes being used in Hebrews 11:17 of Isaac being the "only son" of Abraham, like Christ is the monogenes of God.

You don't have to be in seminary to use a good study tool, or even within a church body that studies deep. Don't let them stunt your own understanding.

13. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my POV the notes in the ESV SB are the best of ones I have examined which include the MacArthur, Zondervan, Reformation, Evidence, etc..But not nearly as deep as a commentary. However of the thousands of commentaries which one would be the bets for my situation? If I had to make a guess I would bet on MacArthur or Wiersbe, although not too deep, nor exegetical but still far deeper than any SB's notes. But then again you don't buy a SB just for the notes.

14. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I also had a Walvoord and Zuck 2-volume (OT & NT) NIV Bible Knowledge commentary, which I thought was going to be the big shebang. I was, after all, a Pre-Mil Dispensationalist in the same vein as Dallas Seminary, and had several books by Walvoord.

Boy, was I utterly disappointed. It just lacked any meaningful content, IMHO. I sold it to a used bookstore a couple of years ago, after I had not used it in at least 5 years.

I'm really serious about Upton's and Constable's online commentaries. You won't find any better resources for free. There's not really any doctrine in them, at least from what I've seen of them - just good notes on context, word usage, manner and customs, etc.

Upton's
    http://freebiblecommentary.org/

I had the name of Constable's site wrong in my earlier post
    http://soniclight.com/
    Click on "study notes"

It only takes a few minutes to check them out. If you don't like them, no problem.

And I'm glad your class went well. I was rooting for you

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible Knowledge Commentary is not an in-depth commentary as I also have it. Its a whole volume commentaries and they generally are not as detailed. It would appear the very good commentaries (Expositors) will cost a fortune, and may not be of use to me. Perhaps the best move is to buy Logos when I get the money, however given the price and required HD space I doubt it. So for the moment the MacArthur and or Wiersbe commentaries would be the best.

I will check out your free commentaries but based on past experiences FREE usually means junk commentaries.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This one above is not bad, thanks..