1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible teaches total abstinence from alcoholic beverages

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Psalm145 3, Oct 18, 2002.

1. ahebert

ahebert Guest

Don't forget, Jesus turned water into wine. [​IMG]

2. Prince of Preachers

Prince of Preachers New Member

wine in the Bible was used for: grapes, grape juice, and alchol wine. so when you think about wether or not Jesus made the water into wine think about the rest of the infalliable Word Of God that says we should not drink wine( as the Firmaented stuff.)Just alittle something to think about. Dont believe me Check it out!

3. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

But the rest of the infallible word of God doesn't say we "shouldn't drink wine". Only that we shouldn't drink wine to the point of drunkenness and that we shouldn't do it in fromt of a weaker brother.

On the other hand, what do you do with the passages in the infallible word of God that encourage drinking wine (assumedly in moderation)?

4. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Prince of Preachers said:

wine in the Bible was used for: grapes, grape juice, and alchol wine.

And so how did you decide which was which? Obviously you have a preconceived notion (such as "alcohol is wrong") through which you filter all uses of the word. If you assume that which you are supposed to prove, you prove nothing.

5. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

So the uglyness continues, I do appreciate Brian joining me in restraint but others need to follow suit. When the 10th page is reached I will close this thread, if someone wishes to open another be my quest.
    Murph

6. AdoptedDaughter

AdoptedDaughter New Member

It seems to be that there may be the possibility that both sides are neither right, nor wrong....

Is drinking a sin: If we look in the Bible, at face value, no, it's not a sin.

Is drinking in excess a sin(being drunk): Looking again at the Bible we will see that it is a sin.

I think that the Holy Spirit will convict some to not even drink the tiniest bit of alcohol(wine) while others will not have the conviction...

So, should a brother or sister drink in public, depends, is their sole purpose of drinking being done to be drunk, or are they doing it because it is just another choice beverage with a meal?

Soda pop, as some have mentioned, are actually much worse than wine, and I believe to be more addicting...

So, here is where this thread seems to stand, half of you say that wine is wrong to drink because you will be drunk with it, while the other half say that wine is not wrong, but don't become drunk with it....So, can't we just leave it at this:
    Whether or not you drink wine is a personal choice, neither of which are wrong, but we all can agree that we shouldn't be drunk with it....

So, couldn't one come to the conclusion that it is ok for a brother or sister to drink as long as it is not abused and they do not become drunk with it?

~Teresa~

7. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Sorry Teresa, I can't just let it go at that, even though I only have to answer for my own deeds. [​IMG]

God hath made us kings and priests.....

Revelation 1:6  And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Proverbs 31:4  It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:

Is this verse not valid just because it's in the Old Testament (fundy forum)? I'm well aware of what verses 6 and 7 say. Just going by what scripture literally says about kings. [​IMG]

8. AdoptedDaughter

If you really want to get literal, I will:

Show me in the Bible where it says that you are not to even drink a drop of wine...If I'm not mistaken, in the O.T. the wine of that day was alcolholic and the water wasn't very good to drink, and they drank wine with their meals....Did they sin in doing that?

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Baptistforever, Excellent post [​IMG]

10. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Context. See the next verse. This has already been discussed.

Include that also as long as we are not making a weaker brother stumble by him seeing us, causing him to drink while he doubts, and I think you have the issue nailed. [​IMG]

11. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Baptistforever said:

"Show me in the Bible where it says that you are not to even drink a drop of wine..."

I just did if you meet the conditions of being a king.

You also said...

"If I'm not mistaken, in the O.T. the wine of that day was alcoholic and the water wasn't very good to drink, and they drank wine with their meals...."

"If I'm not mistaken" tells me you think you "could be, and that's good because we all can be." Wine was not alcoholic until it fermented, was it? I think you're assuming the water was not very good (show me)- well water is well water, spring water is spring water, right? I admit it probably did not have flouride in it. :D

You asked -

"Did they sin in doing that?

Not if they were drinking "fresh" fruit of the vine - or - if they were ready to perish or had a heavy heart. [​IMG] Like I said, every man will answer for his own actions. Being a "non-drinker," I personally won't have to answer for that.

I'd like to ask you - does drinking beer, wine or strong drink, even in moderation, glorify God? I suppose it's a personal choice how a person would like to treat the temple of God...

12. AdoptedDaughter

Does it glorify God, depends, where's your heart at?

You can do everything right on the outside, but if your heart is not in the right place then nothing you do is going to glorify God....

Let me ask you a question: What is it that you disagree with more? Wine, or alcohol...

It is not wrong to drink wine... As I've already posted, what this issue is about is not whether it is right or wrong, you can post all the scripture you want, but most of them are from the O.T. after Jesus' death, we were no longer under O.T. law... Just because a person drinks wine, or beer, or whatever does not mean that they are sinning...The only thing that we can completely come to a conclusion with on this topic is that it is a sin to be drunk with wine....Drunk does not mean one glass or half a glass, drunk means that the alcohol has taken over your senses, and you lose control...So, is it wrong to drink wine, no, and I've read through every post in this thread, and still must come to the conclusion that I posted in my first post on this subject.

~Teresa~

13. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Oh please don't make me mention doughnuts again. :D

14. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

baptistforever asked:

So, couldn't one come to the conclusion that it is ok for a brother or sister to drink as long as it is not abused and they do not become drunk with it?

Not only could one come to that conclusion, they would have in fact come to the correct conclusion.

Unfortunately, there are those who know better than God what is good for us.

15. JIMNSC

JIMNSC New Member

Teresa - Every statement in the OT is not law. You do believe the OT don't you?

BrianT - Now, I like donuts, but only in moderation... :D

Ransom - Now you know better than to imply I know better than God. [​IMG] I wasn't offended by your statement - I certainly hope God wasn't!

I'll hush because I don't think we can agree, but we can as Christians agree to disagree, can we not? God bless all you young folks.

Jim

16. AdoptedDaughter

I believe the O.T....Amd I'm going to leave that statement at that..

The purpose for my original post was to try to make a medium, which is to say, put the whole thread into two statements and that is whay I did, if you want to argue, go ahead, but my stance will remain the same as it was in my first post in this thread.

In Christ,
    Teresa

17. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Teresa I wish it was that simple. as I see no scripture saying we cannot drink at all. There may be some I don't know of. The problem I have is in glorifying God and not offending, I have not been able to get any one to change their view which is fine but I just couldn't allow it to end with your implication that the issue was cut and dry. Thanks for your input. As promised the ten page has arrived so this thread is closed.
    Murph