1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Translations

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by mets65, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is unfamiliar and strange sounding but not ridiculous.
    We had a thread on the phrase a while back. [LINK]

Let's see, one revision for the NAS (1995) ---- and how many for the KJV?

Rob

#21 Deacon, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011
  2. mets65

mets65 New Member

Well the NASB is actually a revision of the American Standard Version. But after the NASB was released as a whole in 1971 it's only had one revision.

3. mets65

mets65 New Member

Also the NASB is regarded by many as the most accurate. I'm not saying it is, just merely that many regard it to be.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I turn first (after the Grk and Heb) to the NASB, then quickly to the NRSV and ESV. I then pick up the NIV/TNIV. I also consult the Phillips NT. If there is a mss difference, I want to see how the NKJV is handling it.

The revised HCSB is rising on my scale and may quickly climb into second place. It's what I'm using for devotions this time through the Bible. I typically use NASB/NIV parallel for that purpose, but the NIV is the '84 (I'm wondering if they will release a parallel with the 2011 NIV).

5. mets65

mets65 New Member

I use the HCSB in conjunction with the NASB

6. Tater77

Tater77 New Member

NASB - main study
    HCSB
    ESV
    NLTse

And I'm seriously considering the NIV 2011. I'm really liking it the more I read it on Biblegateway.com .

7. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

1. TNIV
    2. NASB
    3. NLT
    4. NRSV
    5. NIV

Almost never use the KJV anymore, though I have a strong sentimental attachment to it, since it was my first Bible and my first memorizing translation. But it's not practically useful anymore. Even more rarely do I blow the dust off my NKJV.

8. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

9. mets65

mets65 New Member

I keep a kjv close by because I still think it's a very important translation, but I don't use it daily.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1.TNIV
    2. MLB
    3. NLTse
    4. HCSB
    5. NRSV

I will get the ISV when the whole thing comes out. But I still don't appreciate the unacknowledged plagiarism of God's Word translation.

In March both the 2011 NIV will be published as well as the updated Roman Catholic NAB.

11. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Brother Rippon,

I've used the NIV most of my life. There's a giant print version that I have used since 2006.

Do you think it would be worth the "upgrade"? I'm sure Bible Explorer/Wordsearch will update it as it did with the HCSB. I just hope there will be a large or giant print edition. The TNIV, which I adored before its death was announced, never had a large or giant print edition.:tonofbricks:

YBIC,
    Robb

12. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Actually there was a large print edition of the TNIV. Forgot about this. I have a softcover and hardback. It's good enough for my eyes.:thumbsup:

13. RevGKG

RevGKG Member

nkjv
    nasb
    hcsb
    esv
    nlt
    net

#33 RevGKG, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  14. PeterM

PeterM Member

I seem to have settled on 2:

ESV
    NLT

I use both for study and for preaching.

15. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I use the NKJV almost exclusively for personal use. It is also my preferred Bible to preach from. I am persuaded that the Received Text is likely to be closest to the original. I find I can also study older books that quote the KJV better and use KJV concordances when using the NKJV.

As an itinerant preacher, I am happy to preach from the KJV or NIV 1984 when asked. I would also preach from the ESV or NASB if asked, but I never have been. Neither is particularly popular in the UK.

I would not preach from the TNIV, NIV 2011, or any other paraphrase. I have heard good things of the NLT, but have never found the need to buy one.

Steve

16. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

For study I use the:
    BHS
    UBS 4th rev. ed.
    NA27

For preaching I use the"
    NASU 95
    NIV 1984

Currently I am using the NIV because most of the congregation are less than 30 years old.

There was a time when I had some KJV only folks in the congregation and preached directly from the NA 27 and it came in handy when one of them was daring enough to tell me that they could not figure what Bible I preached from and responded by saying the Greek New Testament. That ended the KJV only nonsense in the congregation. They were perplexed and did not know what to do.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you putting the TNIV and 2011 NIV in the same category as a paraphrase?! Far from it. Both are mediating translations which navigate between outright functional equivalence and sheer formal equivalence.

The old Living Bible is a primary example of a paraphrase. Both the TNIV and 2011 NIV are worlds away from that.

You owe it to yourself to buy one. and if you happen to like aspects of it --you certainly wouldn't oppose the TNIV or 2011 NIV.

18. R. Lawson

R. Lawson New Member

Rippon is right. The NIV, TNIV, and NIV 2010 are NOT paraphrases.

It may be beneficial to know that all translation is interpretation and all translations paraphrase.

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If a translation was a complete translation then at times it would have a lot of explanation to correctly interpret the message that was originally written and delivered in a foreign context and a historical context of many years ago when the words did not always have the same meaning as a nearly equivalent word in English. In English we do not always have the same grammatical ways of wording ideas. For example too often there is no distinction between a first class and third class conditional sentence and a prohibitive imperative a simple imperative. In Eph. 5:21 in the GNT there is not a verb in that phrase but in an English translation there is.

20. jameslinck

jameslinck New Member

my BIBLE

I only use the KJB. This started only 3 years ago and after much argument with my pastor and much study of my own. Using the internet I found that my pastor was right.