1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Archaeology Review

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Aaron, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been taking it for a year now, and it strikes me as theologically liberal. In the latest issue, there is an interview with Phyllis Trible, a dyed-in-the-wool Feminist. I'm not sure if the article was intended to support her views, or if it was a kind of exposé.

Anyone here subscribe, and what are your thoughts on the periodical? (I renewed my subscription, BTW)

Oh, yeah, and are the "classes" advertised in it(recorded lectures, actually) any good?

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that chaired by Shanks ? I remember it reported on Dead Sea Scrolls and had a dispute with Israelites on the copywright over DSS documents and the court of Israel ruled that BAR has to pay back to Israelites.
    Among the Arachaeologists I trust Franz Gordon. One of his article is here http://www.ldolphin.org/asheroil.html

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is edited by Shanks, yes. Any ideas about him?

5. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

We get BAR and enjoy reading it.

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Another woman marginalizes the Biblical record in the latest issue of BAR:

According to Mary Joan Winn Leith, archaeology reveals a nationalistic bias in the Deuteronomists' editing and revision of the Biblical record of the conquest of Canaan. The Hebrews crossed over a lot earlier than the Bible says they did.

7. ~serapha~

~serapha~ New Member

Hi there...

Without Hershel Shanks, we would still be waiting for the publication of the Dead Sea Scrolls....

He uses BAR as his pulpit ... to voice his concerns in archaeology, particularly concerning the publication of new findings. He is quick to publish findings before they are verified by all of the archaeological community... but hey, they are newsworthy items, and as in newpaper publishing... sensationalism sells.

His magazine is considered liberal at times and controversial at times.... but... it is archaeological news for the layman that is convenient and economical when compared to archaeology journals, etc. which may cost the layman $50+ for one journal.

I have 25 years of magazines in my library... I prefer flipping pages over reading the CD version.

I just paid for my subscription for 2007 yesterday, and I purchased six subscriptions as Christmas presents... 4 to friends, and 2 to church libraries.

I highly recommend BAR for anyone wanting to know what the "Fifth Gospel" tells us that substantiates the other four Gospels.

~serapha~

8. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

`serapha`'s is a good posting. Shanks is using the magazine as his "bully pulpit" re all things discovered, and always finds a somewhat sensationalist way to headline the discoveries.

Far from his/its being liberal, though, I've thought that he works too hard to "prove" that some object lines up with the Biblical narrative. Guest writers bring perspectives that may be at variance with the editor .. but, as for "liberalism", that is a technical term about Christological stance and anthropological understandint that I do not think applies to scholarly conclusions about textual or historical data.

I've always found the letters to the editor amusing, in that so many of them accuse Shanks of one heresy or another and threaten to unsubscribe. I think he enjoys being "persecuted".

However, the advertizing is far from being even close to liberal. It is almost toward the superstitious side in some cases! Obviously Shanks has no bias when it comes to taking money for ad sales!

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Liberal yes, but it had some good articles.