1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Biblical Argument for Cessationism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was needed back than, but now have the entire bible and the Spirit to let us know what is from God or not!

2. awaken

awaken Active Member

Really? And where in scriptures does it say that this has passed?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"THEY ARE NOT LISTED IN 1COR.13!!" as you have said. Everything said there has to do with revelatory gifts, not discernment, not the second coming, not anything that you have offered up. You are going beyond the context. TONGUES, PROPHESY, REVELATORY KNOWLEDGE, are the gifts that are primarily spoken of from 13:8 to the end of chapter 14. You are determined to go outside of that context to support your biased view.
    Try one and a half chapters.
    The apostolic age has ended, and along with it the sign gifts.

4. awaken

awaken Active Member

You added REVELATORY to knowledge, why did you add to the scriptures something that was not there? I also does not say "Word of knowledge" like in chapter 12.

I do not see anywhere in scriptures where it says sign gifts will end. The only ones mentioned that will end are in chapter 13 and it will not be until we see face to face and know as we are known.

I did not say "discernment"..I said "discernment of spirits." There is a difference! And discernment of spirits is revelation manifested.

Scriptures and verse for the end of sign gift? Where in the Bible are the sign gifts listed?

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is revelatory knowledge because the context says so. I am not confined to your vocabulary. It was knowledge that was given by special revelation of God. The context is "revelation." It is not speaking of common revelation. If it were we would all be mindless zombies.
    Of course you don't. You don't want to see, though the Scripture is right before your nose. You reject it and try to put a different spin on it. It has been explained to you many times and you just refuse to accept it. The context is revelation. You cannot just willy nilly change the context because you don't like what it is teaching.
    Does it matter. The context is revelation; not discernment.
    The three gifts mentioned in 13:8 were sign gifts for obvious reasons.
    14:21 repeats again that tongues is a sign for the Jewish nation.
    2Cor.12:12 talks of signs and wonders, miracles being performed as sign gifts for the sign of an apostle.
    Heb.2:3,4 refer to all the gifts of the Spirit as signs of the Apostles.

6. awaken

awaken Active Member

The chapter is about love...the way to love...without love everything else is useless...love never fails! It says tongues, prophecies and knowledge will cease when that which is perfect comes and we see face to face..and know as we are known.
    THe nine manifestations...
    Three say something...prophecy, Divers kinds of tongues and interpretation of tongues.
    Three do something...faith, miracles and healings
    Three reveal something..word of wisdom, word of knowledge and discerning of spirits.

You need to read it again!

You just proved you do not know what any of the manifestations are! Not then and not now!

It does not limit it to the apostles! If it did then 1 Corinthian christians would not be manifesting the Holy Spirit and having to be corrected on it! Tongues, prophesy and knowledge were not just for the apostles. I do believe that only certain manifestations could be done by apostles and prophets. Most of the ones listed in 1 Cor. 12 all could manifest for the good of the body.