1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Assumptions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I think we do that all the time. I think that each of us has their own "personal" Bible that includes our favorite books and excludes the books we don't like, aren't familiar with, or don't agree with. I'm not immune from this. I tend to lean toward the gospels more than Paul's letters. And, I tend to favor the prophets and the Wisdom literature more than the books of the law and the historical books.

There are several barriers that separate us from the society of the first century church. Language and culture are the most obvious. But politics and economics also play a role. Even the Bible translations that strive for the most literal rendering of the text into English have to deal with passages that are incomplete, have gaps, or are incomprehensible. The most extreme example is Job. If you compare several translations, you will find some passages that vary widely among the translations because the Hebrew is imcomplete. The translators have to make a decision on the translation based on the context of the passage rather than on the Hebrew.

We make unwarranted assumptions all the time. It's so easy! Little, if any, thinking is required.

I have taught adult SS for about 15-20 years (I've lost track), and my Bible study for my class has led me to conclude two things. First, I've only scratched the surface of what is in the Bible. Second, I've discovered numerous alternative readings for passages that have increased our understanding of the scriptural texts. If you are not convinced that this appropriate, I would refer you to any English dictionary to see the variety of definitions that can be associated with a given word.

This kind of study does not necessarily undermine faith unless that is your intention from the outset. It can definitely broaden faith through a greater understanding of the societies and cultures of biblical times.

Tim Reynolds

2. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

Timothy 3:1-13

Some one was saying about pastors with one wife? In this book it explains the roll of deacons and preachers, I believe it explains it well about being a husband of one wife and a good family man who keeps his house in order. This way no one can undo the house that was built on a good foundation. That includes the House of God. It also tells us about a womans place. the book of Timothy was an eye opening experience if you have doubts about pastors, preachers, and deacons and even woman in church:1_grouphug: . There is no assumptions there. Just plain fact of law. AMEN Diana

3. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

Forgot

that is First Timothy. :saint: AMEN Diana

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adult baptism was a rarity; when Anglicans of the period speak of baptism, they are speaking almost exclusively of infant baptism. The 1552 Book of Common Prayer abandons the triple dipping previously ordained in favor of a single dipping, with the caveat that "[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][SIZE=-1]And yf the child be weke, it shall suffyce to power water upon it sayinge the foresayde wordes. [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]I Baptyse thee in the name of the father, and of the sonne, and of the holy ghost. Amen."[/FONT]

By 1662, the book acknowledged that a large number of people had not been baptized as infants during the religious upheavals that had wracked England; the colonists in North America also found American Indians who obviously had not been baptized as infants. Thus a new section was added for "Such are of Riper Years," commanding that:

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]"[/FONT]Then shall the Priest take each person to be baptized by the right hand, and placing him conveniently by the Font, according to his discretion, shall ask the Godfathers and Godmothers the Name; and then shall dip him in the water, or pour water upon him, saying, I baptize thee In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."​

One of James' instructions to the translators was that "The old ecclesiastical words to be kept; as the word church, not to be translated congregation, &c.," which pretty much guaranteed baptizo would not be translated as dipped. In addition, the translators were cribbing Tyndale, who maintained baptism and bishop; he also banished the word church, but the translators were not given an option on that bit of translation.

5. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I almost forgot about this thread. I'll have to get the source for you. I can't recall it at the moment, but I'm sure my pastor can refresh my memory when he gets back into town.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds good. I'd be very interested to know the reference. As I said before, I was under the impression that they were transitioning away from immersion to pouring at that time.