1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Assurance of Salvation

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Nov 8, 2011.

1. WWJDKID

WWJDKID New Member

[snipped - personal attack]

#41 WWJDKID, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  2. ituttut

ituttut New Member

1. Certain, but doubts will occur, and be acceptable.

2. I believe we can have assurance now, even as we live. Do I believe Jesus Christ died for my sins, those past, present, and future? I believe this, because I have His Word, and that proves it to me. I have accepted the gift of salvation from God, that gift being of Him self, His Word, the Son of God. Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ for one's salvation. When we place our faith in Him, then through Him we know that God loves us so much that He gave His only begotten Son in order that whosoever believes Him, are told they shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

And as we do not have to hang on trying to save ourselves, our salvation is secure for when we believe, we are sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise (Ephesians 1:13-14). In the Body of Christ we have a promise. Will God keep His Word to us today if we accept His Gift?

3. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I think you made many good points. I think the issue is more self based than God based. It isn't will God keep His end of the deal (if you view it that way) but rather is my internal feeling entrapment of sin and am I responding correctly rather than is God. God isn't the issue, but we are including who we are and our unreliable nature of deception. I think the problems always arise when we look at ourselves (works based?) rather than to God.

4. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There will be no doubt when God does the assurring and he does that only when these are met.

1 John 2:3-6 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 John 3:7-10 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth (practices) righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
    He that committeth (practices) sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.
    In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not (practice) righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Then finally the knowing is sealed in assurance by the Spirit and He only does it if the perosn is doing what it mentioned above;
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Knowing we are saved is not self generated. Unless it comes from the Spirit because of all the things mentioned it is a false assurance like those of Matt 5.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fear and doubt are sins. I don't mean to make light of them. These two states of existence betray a lack of faith. In other words, we don't really believe what God has said. Not fully. We keep looking to ourselves as if we have the power in ourselves to live righteously. We keep forgetting that our pardon has been purchased, that Christ bore not only our sins, but He bore us on the Cross, and that He ever lives to make intercession for us. If it were possible that Christ could stop living, if it were possible that God could be dissatisfied with Christ, then, and only then is it possible that God could be dissatisfied with us.

Before the throne of God above,
    I have a strong and perfect plea,
    A great High Priest whose name is Love,
    Who ever lives and pleads for me.

My name is graven on His hands.
    My name is written on His heart.
    I know that while in Heaven He stands,
    No tongue can bid me thence depart.

Just as any one can wrestle with any other sin like lust or gluttony, there are many who will wrestle with fear and doubt, but fear and doubt are monsters in comparison to the fires of fleshly desires, because they strike at the heart of faith. 1 John 4:18 is simple and straightforward. He who fears is not made perfect in love. Genuine love is the ultimate end of a Christian's calling. It is the fulfillment of the law, and it is the nature of God.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's not just sin in our lives that bring doubts. Look at Job. He was a righteous man, God said so. Yet he continually questioned "why?". Is this not doubt? He doubted God's love for him. He saw the wicked prosper and yet he had lost everything.

I understand that feeling. And yes it's a feeling. I know that God loves me because His word says so, yet because of all the troubles I've been through and am still going through, all the loses I've suffered, I feel as though God does not love me. Sometimes I feel as though I'm being punished, but I don't know for what. Either this is just human weakness or it's an attack of the devil. But like Job, it's not because I'm deep in sin. I have remained faithful to God. Yet I have doubts sometimes. (well, a lot of times). I look at my failures and think how in the world could God love me? Maybe I'm not really saved? But I have to rely on God's promises when I'm feeling this way. His promises aren't based on my feelings. I'm just flesh and I realize that.

To say that all doubts spring from some sort of sin in your life is just not true.....IMHO.

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is patently false. Anyone who looks at himself in the mirror of the law, especially those who are truly saved, he sees a devil. If you, "freeatlast," are coming away from the law seeing an angel, then you are not seeing the law, and you are not free.

The law does not bring assurance. The law brings the knowledge of sin. It pronounces guilt and a curse. It's purpose is to drive one trembling to the feet of Christ to receive mercy and grace to help. Christ is the end of the law. When one approaches the throne of grace, he is in Heaven. There is no law there. There is no accuser. There is only Christ and the pardon He has purchased.

When Satan tempts me to despair,
    And tells me of the guilt within,
    Upward I look and see Him there,
    Who made an end to all my sin.

Because the sinless Savior died,
    My sinful soul is counted free,
    For God the Just is satisfied
    To look on Him and pardon me!

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

If fear and doubt are sin then did Jesus sin in the garden when he was clearly feared what was ahead when He sweat as it were drops of blood also when he seems to doubt when He said Why has tho forsaken Me?

9. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I understand your position as it is common in the church today. Not every one will believe what the Lord says, but for me I believe what He says and He says have this in your life you will have assurance.

1 John 2:3-6 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
    He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
    But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
    He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

1 John 3:7-10 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth (practices) righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
    He that committeth (practices) sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
    Whosoever is born of God doth not commit (practice) sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot (practice) sin, because he is born of God.
    In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not (practice) righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Then finally the knowing is sealed in assurance by the Spirit and He only does it if the perosn is doing what it mentioned above;
    Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Knowing we are saved is not self generated. Unless it comes from the Spirit because of all the things mentioned it is a false assurance like those of Matt 5.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Rev. 21:8

Learn what that means.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you explain how it is we cannot sin when we know every man sins. No one anywhere is with out sin. The finest Christian who has ever lived has sin in his life. Bible says so. What do you say?
    John wrote;
    1Jn 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Then in verse 4 it says;
    1Jn 2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

So which is it?, are we all just liars?. It would seem that if we indeed cannot sin we would have no need of an advocate. And if we sin, it would mean we were not saved in the first place.

In my mind if those born of God cannot sin then what are we doing if we do sin?

#51 MB, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  12. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

What does that have to do with someone having assurance?

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Who said man does not sin?

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible says those born of God do not sin. So what are we doing when we break His commandments?
    It also says if we break His commandments we are liars and the truth is not in us.
    In short if we sin we are not saved.
    These questions are what comes to my mind when I read your post. If we cannot sin because we are born of God what do we call it when we break His commandments?. I'd just like your thoughts on this not to argue them.
    MB

15. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Are you saying the bible is wrong? I gave you a link to hear what the passage means if you do not listen then what can I say.

16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely not the Bible is never wrong. There is no need of defense, I just wanted to know your personal view. I didn't see any link in your last answer. Maybe you're thinking of someone else.
    MB

17. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I have included in several responses to you, at least 2 or 3, but you can go back and look at # 16 if you want to know what it is about.

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went a reread it. It's still very hard hearted of you to state in so many words or less that I'm not saved at all. Legalism must be your cup of tea because no one is sinnless not even you.

It is our spirit that is the new creature in Christ Jesus. Our flesh is still the old man. When we walk in the Spirit, we cannot sin. In Christ Jesus we cannot sin. Read Romans chapters 7 and 8.

"Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

"For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." Romans 7: 17-25
    "[There is] therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death." Romans 8: 1-2
    If we ever do sin, it's because we get in the flesh, walk in the flesh, and allow ourselves to be tempted and drawn away of our own lusts, which brings forth sin. Read James chapter 1.

"Blessed [is] the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him. Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed. Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. Do not err, my beloved brethren." James 1: 12-16
    I hope you have peace.

MB

19. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

The words of Jesus are clear, anyone who believes on him has life and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from death to life.

The problem is that people do not know if they have believed. Why? Because faith has been turned into some magical, mystical essence that people cannot possibly understand. This is the work of the devil.

Let me ask you, do you not know if you have trusted or believed someone? For example, let's say your neighbor asks to borrow your car for an emergency. You hand your neighbor your keys and he drives off. Have you trusted your neighbor? Of course, and no one would doubt that they have trusted or believed their neighbor in this sort of example. Do you have to look inside yourself, or look for some continuous confidence to know you have trusted your neighbor? No. You know for an absolute fact you have trusted or believed your neighbor. It is an act, it is a choice you knowingly and deliberately made. It is not some magical, mystical thing.

Another example, you go to the doctor. He examines you and finds you have a brain tumor. He tells you that if not treated immediately, you will die in several weeks. Then the doctor explains that if you trust him, he can safely operate on your brain and remove the tumor. He shows you pictures of dozens of persons he has safely treated for a like condition.

So, you go in on the appointed day. You allow the doctor to put you to sleep and operate on your brain. He safely removes the tumor and in a few weeks you are completely recovered.

Now, did you trust your doctor? Of course. Is there any doubt in your mind that you trusted and believed your doctor? None. Trust is a decision you consciously and deliberately make, again, it is not some magical feeling, or this continuous confidence without doubt. You probably would have a few fears before you allowed the doctor to operate, does that negate that you trusted him and allowed him to operate on you? Not at all.

People in the scriptures KNEW when they had believed.

Acts 19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
    2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
    3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
    4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
    5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.

Notice Paul's question in vs. 2, he asked whether these disciples had received the Holy Spirit since they believed. Did they say, "We don't know, we don't know what it means to believe, how do we know if we have believed?". No, they KNEW they had believed.

Believeing is a committal, it is trusting your soul into Jesus's hands and depending on him to save you, just as you trust a doctor to operate on you, you place your life in his hands.

There are many ways believeing is described in scripture. It is described as "coming" to Jesus. If a person comes to Christ in their heart desiring that he save them, this is trust, this is believing. The scriptures describe believeing as "calling" on Jesus. Whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. When you cry out to Jesus, you have placed the matter of your salvation completely in his hands, you are depending or relying on him only to save you.

Can you know if you have cried out to Jesus in your heart to save you? Of course. It is not some magical mystical thing, it is a decision of the will to trust or depend on Jesus alone for salvation.

It is these folks that make faith into some mystical essence that has folks all mixed up. You can KNOW if you have believed on Jesus, and if you have, you have everlasting life according to God's word.

#59 Winman, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2011
  20. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Winman,

How do you interpret philippians 2:12?

Also why do true believers have doubts?

Why did john write a letter to give assurance to believers rather than refering them to one section in His gospel?