1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical instruction vs personal opinion

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by seekingthetruth, Nov 12, 2011.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

My apology on the middle ground. I read what you said incorrectly. About compromising I know of no way to understand it except to lower or change a standard or truth.
    In this discussion on biblical instruction or personal interpretation most do the latter. They compromise the truth for their personal values by personal interpretations. For instance.
    They want to see the person who murders someone to be put to death as the bible calls for, but if it is their own child they will do everything they can to get them off. That is compromise.
    Or they will agree that a divorced person is not to re-marry, but if it happens to them they change their view, again compromise. Or a person rejects scripture that no one continues to practice sin because they have a loved one who once claimed to be a Christian and now is not waliking with the Lord so they call them a saved backslider which the bible denies can happen.
    So how should we understand the bible? By what it says no matter how it effects us. That means no personal interpretations.
    We adopt little sayings like well we agree that we disagree, again compromise as there is no virtue in disagreeing since the bible says can two walk together less they agree. If we are to hold to truth then we should hold to it no matter what effects it has on us.

#41 freeatlast, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
  2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

make sure that our PERSONAL preferences/convictions are NOT elevated to the position whewre they become ONLY way to see and apply Biblical doctrines!

Think that we need to understand that some issues such as Sotierology need to be seen that Calvinism would be the BEST model to explain that, but that other viewpoints would be seen as being valid, just not the closest to the Biblical model!
    Areas such as eschatology would best be seen as can hold to varying viewpoints, just need to make sure STILL hold to a lirtal second coming!

Bible versions discussions would be left to personal prefeences...

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right;
    The Bible says;
    Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
    I not only know His voice but if for some reason what I hear doesn't line up with scripture. I know what to do with it. God hasn't ever told me a thing contrary to His Word. Yet this doesn't mean I believe Satan and his angles can read my mind or can speak to my heart or even hear my prayers. I do not believe he can place thoughts in my mind either.
    MB

4. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

You know, there was a time Baptists really believed the Bible.

Like, when it said that some would esteem every day the same and some would hold some as special.

Or some would eat meat and some would not.

We were told in the Bible to let each be fully convinced in his own mind, for whatever is not of faith is sin.

We were told in the Bible not to judge another man's servant, but to his own Master he would stand or fall, and stand he would, as God was able to make him stand.

We are also told the legalists among us are actually the weaker brothers.

And then a sort of hyperfundamentalism came in. Not the old one of clinging to the fundamentals of the faith and then letting the Holy Spirit guide others in their understanding.

No, this new hyperfundamentalism screams and hollers and chews out everyone that disagrees with them on one iota, calls them heretics, and just generally

ACTS IN A MOST HISTORICALLY UNBAPTIST WAY.

The Jesuits are among us. Only thing is this time they claim to be Baptists rather than RC.

5. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I am not sure why you think satan cannot hear your prayers or put thoughts into your mind. As to reading your mind I agree he most likely cannot do that but scripture is not clear on it. However my guess is that he does not need to read our minds as there is nothing new under the sun and satan knows man so he can guess how and what they are going to do very closely.

6. 12strings

12strings Active Member

All of this may be true, but I think there is a danger in only remembering the good times of the past, thinking there were no problems then.

Nearly everyone will say, "we didn't used to have these problems."
    But the baptists of the past had different problems, and Christians have always had to deal with both legalsim and libralism. There have always been those who try to add to what the bible requires, and also those who want to disregard what the bible clearly DOES require.

There has NEVER been a golden-age of Baptist, or Christian life...and there won't be until Jesus returns to set us all right.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Now that be a fact, :thumbs: The only thing I would add is just because there has always been some failures we need to be careful we do not bask in them but continue to seek to correct them.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's the truth. We forget about those first Baptists..er...Christians :laugh: that were tortured and killed for their faith. Now that's what I call problems.

9. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Foxes Book of Martyrs. An eye-opening read.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If you can get through it. The Inquisition was horrible.

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Definitely not what the western church is used to in this era.