1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BIBLICAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR EVANGELISTS

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by OnfireforJesus, May 19, 2006.

1. OnfireforJesus

OnfireforJesus New Member

I would like to know does the Bible give qualifications for Evangelists as it does for deacons and Pastors?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope. But if he doesn't have a call from God, he'd better not be an evangelist. It is a very difficult calling.

3. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

In a related question, with today's modern church staff positions, what would you consider to be "pastor?" Who has to fall under these qualifications and who does not? Youth Pastor? Missions Pastor? Associate Pastor? Children's Pastor? Pastor of Counseling Ministries? Pastor to Women?

4. mima

mima New Member

The first inkling that I had the spirit of an evangelist came to me in a very strange way. Soon after being saved as the age of 21 pastors begin to ask me what I thought of their sermons. I was completely taken aback by this and thought because I had college minors in Old Testament and New Testament the pastors thought I had a little knowledge. Still this happened often enough to be noticeable both to me and my wife(I had just gotten married) and my mother and father also. Now my father was an ordained Baptist minister although he never held a Pastoral position in a church. As concerns knowledge he was the most knowledgeable man I ever met.
    Not long after graduating from college maybe two or three years a different type of occurrence began to take place while attending church. After the pastors had delivered their sermons they would come and stand by the pew I was in and ask does anyone else here have anything to say at this time? This happened over and over, again and again, it became noticeable, very noticeable by my family. This went on for over two years. And then a pastor asked me to come forward and give the invitation to accept Christ. The first time I did so five people came forward. The pastor was delighted. I was astonished but suddenly the knowledge was planted in me you can have a ministry. O not a church ministry or even a tent meeting type ministry but one of one-on-one witnessing. During all this time I was praying that God would give me a burden for lost souls. He did. And while many other things happened also during these times even dumb me could understand that I really do have the spirit of evangelism. And I think the Lord for using me.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The Bible, as I read it gives no "qualifications for Evangelists", nor any other of the twenty-to-thirty odd spiritual gifts (including pastor-teacher) save the discretion of the Holy Spirit.

The Bible does, I believe, give some regulations of the gifts.

The Bible gives definite "qualifications" to the 'offices' in the church, especially the local church. These definitely include deacon and elder/bishop. Some, including me, are open to (although I'm not going to have a 'hissy fit' either way, and am not being dogmatic over any such minor, to me anyway, issue) an office of deaconess. Paul speaks of being "the apostle to the Gentiles" and says, "I magnify my office." I doubt that this 'office' spoken of here can be placed in the same exact category as the office of deacon or pastor- oh wait a minute- :eek: pastor/teacher is a spiritual gift, not an office. :D Guess I musta' meant bishop/elder!

Simply put, keep the gifts and offices separate, as does Scripture. Somehow seems to keep down controversy, except for someone who desires power, honor, authority, etc. :rolleyes:

In His grace,
    Ed

P.S. Scripture verses on request, as I am in a bit of a hurry, and don't have time to look up and cite all for this post. Gotta run.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I don't see any qualifications listed.

I struggle with the concept of "evangelist" today. I struggle with what we see today in many places that is called "evangelist" and if it is the intent of the Biblical author.

For that very reason I have not had any "evangelists" come to my church in the last few years. When we have had revivals and special meetings I have brought in pastors that I know to be faithful.

From my experience it seems that many of the "evangelists" today were simply guys that could not cut it as a pastor and headed out of dodge to be an "evangelist" and their ministry seems to be way more about "me" than it does about God and the Gospel.

Now please know I realize that is not the case in all situations. Just some of my observations.

7. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I agree. I fear that many church members are blessed with the gift of evangelism yet they do not believe this to be because of what is commonly considered an evangelist.

I only see two office in the church, pastors and deacons, not evangelists. But the way some evangelists act they seem to think they are an office all unto themselves and that they are the greatest thing that ever happened to the church.

8. OnfireforJesus

OnfireforJesus New Member

I appreciate the quick response's to my intial question on biblical qualifications of an evangelists. With that said, I must further explain why I have asked this question. After accepting Jesus as my Lord and Saviour about four years ago I have been on FIRE for HIM ever since. The Lord has allowed me to work with the youth at my church and He has also CALLED me into Bible College where I have just finished my first year. Praise His Holy name. However, now I am wrestling with feelings, that I can get up in front of people and share a powerful testimony along with a message of salvation which this world is in dire need of. People automatically assume since I am going to Bible College that I have been called to preach. I have somewhat of a difficult time explaining that God has called me to something I just do not know what? The conflict arises from me being a member of an independent fundamental Baptist church and here is the catch. I have been married once before. I am going to talk to my Pastor about this but it is almost certian that this is a conflict with what he believes and teaches. Please help!