1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical reasons for leaving a church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Steven2006, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Many times I see where someone might mention that a particular example is not a valid reason for one to leave their church. I admit that I often find myself subconsciously nodding my head in agreement. It seems to come up in passing that this reason or that reason is not solid reasons to leave one church for another. My question, is where in the bible, does it instruct us as to what is or isn't valid reasons for leaving a church? What verses apply here? I am not talking about something real dramatic, like if they appointed a woman pastor or anything like that. Not things one would seperate over. More just normal preferences that people will have.

Over the years I have known people to leave churches for a variety of reasons. Were they wrong or not? What verses would apply to these types of things?

Type of music
    Looking for a better youth group for the children
    Looking for a better Sunday School for the children
    The preacher is dry and boring
    The preacher has started repeating himself (sermons)
    Not allowed to be involved enough
    Burdening them with too much responsibility
    Lack of personal friendships
    Personal friendships with others at another church.

2. KJVO

KJVO New Member

These are the only Biblical reasons to leave a church.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

1 Timothy 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

3. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 96:1 - Oh sing to the Lord a new song... :laugh:

Rob

4. s8147817430

s8147817430 New Member

I know a couple biblical reasons.

One is that if someone calls himself a brother and is an adulterer, etc, have no fellowship.

Another is when someone is a divisive person.

In both cases, I am talking leadership. If they violate that, we are to confront, as Matt 18 says, and then if they refuse, do the rest of the passage.

In my case, I 'd leave if they didn't.

Also, if they depart from the teaching that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh as 2 John 7-11 states, I'd leave.

I would not leave over the rapture, music, dress standards, bible versions, or any of the reasons you listed. In the cases you listed, I would hope I would care enough for the church to stay and do all in my power to change things.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I think there are plenty of extra-biblical reasons, and they're legitimate. Most churches I attend seem to be almost totally lacking in the love of the Lord. They go through a lot of motions (volunteer for this or that program, etc.) but that's just what they are - motions. I see no reason to stay at a church like that unless I could single-handedly make a difference, and I can't.

6. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I usually leave when service is over :laugh: :laugh: :wavey:

7. Faith alone

Faith alone New Member

OK, I know this isn't "leaving a church" since we moved from SoCal to Georgia... became kinda hard to commute. :p (And we were very happy with the church.) But in looking for a church we considered:

A vibrant youth group (We had pulled 3 teens up out of a solid youth program in which they were leaders)
    Sound biblical doctrine being taught
    Opportunity to teach (be involved)

Years earlier (about 15) we left a church for the following reasons:
    No commitment by the pastor to a children's program... our children at the time were ages new born, 2, 3. I was the children's program and never able to attend the Sunday morning service.
    The pastor had no accountability and was arrogant.

Even so, we were very careful in howwe moved on... and it was my decision.

Recently our church in the South got rid of the two youth pastors that our teens loved and hired someone else - a good organization guy, but not one to develop personal relationships with the teens. We could have moved on, but felt that this would hurt the existing youth group. (Our teens thought this.) Presently I am actively involved in the youth program, sharing in teaching the combined MS/HS group with that new youth director. We felt that we should strive to be positively involved and have done so. But our 2 teens still in HS (Our daughter is a freshman in college) are disappointed with what's going on now. One feels strongly about it and the other (a senior and the key leader among the youth) is disappointed but feels led to try to be positively involved.

My wife and I want our children to see the importance of getting involved in a church and sticking to it until it is clear that God is leading to move on. So that's what we are doing. I do not feel that it would be "wrong" to move on... but we are choosing to seek God's leading here. God is going to have to make it very clear that we should move on.

Oh, and I agree LeBuick... we should not leave until the service is over.

FA

#7 Faith alone, Nov 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2007
  8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Those verses tell us when we should separate from someone. But I fail to see how they tell us that we can't or shouldn't leave one church for another, if so led.

9. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I respect that, I agree to a point. However if a church is not doing anything wrong, but I just preferred things to be different for my family to be a part of, I don't know that I would feel right in forcing or pushing for changes that others didn't desire. I don't think that would be correct to do.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I agree. How about though, if you liked the church but felt that it was lacking in youth group for you children?

11. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Ha ha, that was a good answer!

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

That was a real nice post, thanks for the reply. So if I understand your view is that if one is so led, there is nothing wrong with leaving a church for another?

13. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

I didn't realize there are rules regarding when you can or can not leave a church. Considering hubby and I changed churches over the summer, I guess I might be in trouble. There is nothing wrong with the ministry of our old church; I have nothing but love and the utmost respect for the pastor. Mainly, we felt a huge class difference. The church we are members of now has more people around our same income level...poor. The rich people in the other church just always made us feel like we would never really belong. So, does that mean we were wrong to switch churches?