1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Biblical" Segregation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Pastor_Bob, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Bobby

Bobby New Member

Amen!:godisgood:

2. Bobby

Bobby New Member

I see that you are very correct when it come to preachers, especially those of IFB churches, claiming their preferences for biblical truths...I didnt mean that my thought was brought by biblical doctrines of any such.

I saw that God wanted His chosen to have some guide lines and I do also...I just picked up on a few thpoughts from here and there and they are my preference not dogmatically sound in scripture...So again I desire, I want, I think that my kids should be virgins when they marry, they should marry their own race, they should marry the oppostie race, they should pray about their future spouse, the should know what the Word of God expetcs of them in a marraige...etc!

Some are preference and some are Biblical, I dont confuse the two:cool:

3. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came to the library this afternoon to check emails etc... I was excited to find a flyer advertising Little Rock Central High 50 Years Later. It is a program on the 50th anniversary of the integration of Little Rock Central High. You may remember that the governor of Arkansas brought in the National Guard to prevent desegregation. I hope to visit with some folks who may have been there that day and get their perspective on "biblical" segregation.

4. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Pastor Bob,

That event sounds really interesting. You should be able to garner some really good information from both sides I would think. It would be interesting to see how opinions have changed over the years.

5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Having preferences for who your children marry is normal. I think everyone does. In regards to your preferences they all seem fine, but I wonder how you relate your preferences to them. In other words, do you come right out and say I want you to marry within your race? If you do, do you tell them why, and if so what is your reason?

What happens if one of your children met the man/woman of their dreams, and this person was not white? What if this person was the model Christian, and filled every other one of your preferences? Would you encourage your child to find another suitable white partner, or give your blessing to the interracial relationship? I am not saying that this will happen to your children, but we cannot help who we fall in love with. If there is not a biblical barrier would you still disapprove?

I'm not trying to beat you up here, but I am really curious about what you would do in this situation. Does preference mean that is the way it will be, or just the way I want it in a perfect world?

6. Bobby

Bobby New Member

What I say now and what I do when the time comes may be different...they are 6 and 3 years old now.

I really cant say how I will handle it when the time comes and I will love and honor my children if the are following after the Lord.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across this quote in a book while continuing my research on "Biblical Segregation." The owner of the quote is a well-known fundamentalist.

8. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I'm gray. I have constant attacks of shortness of breath, and am often ashen colored because of that.......until recently when I began bodybuilding at the age of 60. Man, let me tell you, now I am back to brown.

Seriously, there was a time in the Philippines when this idea was so common, and largely because of that guy down in Florida who says the KJV and only the KJV is the true English Bible.

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I find it oddly amusing that people who are already deadset against interracial marriage always claim there are "serious" difficulties/circumstances/etc. which are "certain" to make such marriages fail. Funny they can never really say for certain what those supposed difficulties are. My marriage has lasted 11 years and is still going strong, and I know of several others the same.

If any marriage was doomed to fail, (conventially speaking), it would have been ours. I got married 3 days after I turned 18, and got pregnant 2 weeks after I was married. After Will was born we both went to school, and literally never saw each other. We did not have Will in daycare so we had opposite class schedules, (both of us taking 18 credit hours), so that one of us was always home. Willie also had football training, practice, and games. When Willie was no longer eligible to play football he was working 40 hours a week, usually nights. I worked anywhere from 25-30 hours a week in the beginning and by my junior year I was up to 40 hours a week. Through it all we were always happy together and successful, just a little tired. :laugh:

Some people really need to keep their uninformed biased opinions to themselves. I dare any of these people to realy get to know people of a different race. Literally immersing themselves within the culture and customs. I truly believe that many people would be shocked to see just how alike people really are.

10. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I'm glad you are much healthier now! Shortness of breath can be really frightening.

I sometimes find it interesting how some people try to identify what "race" my children are. (depends on the person) I have gotten everything from white/hispanic to white/middle eastern, and unless Willie is out with us people are always surprised to find out they are white/black, especially with Carinna. She is as pale as can be with bright blue eyes and thick, red, CURLY hair. William has brown hair and brown eyes, and at best looks like he has a good tan. No one has ever told me they looked gray. :laugh:

11. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

As far as the marriage being doomed as a result of being ethnically mixed I would say that is an exageration. I do see that it can have its own set of hardships as a result of rejudice views concerning mixed marriages. As far as the scheduling goes I am glad that things have stayed so solid for you through it all. In these types of circumstances this is rare. And I counsel those getting married to aviod such circumstances if at all possible. I see the scheduling a much greater threat to the average marriage than the other.

12. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I agree. I would like to point out that thankfully the predjudice against interracial marriage is nowhere near as prevalent as it was years ago, before "my time". :saint:

As far as schedules and time, it was something we discussed in depth before undertaking it. We knew from the start we were going to have to work at our marriage. All marriage is work, but I think in our case we had to work a little harder, or make a sincere effort, to not drift apart. We decided that in our case it would be better to go to school together instead of one at a time, especially considering I was, (am), going to pursue a graduate degree. It is certainly something I would not advise for others.

#112 Filmproducer, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2007
  13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I do think the mixing of the races is necessary for the rise of the son of perdition.

I do not think it's a sin, nor do I think it's wrong. (Well, there are those who want to have intercourse with someone because of their skin color, but the mixing is not the problem.)

Interestingly, with a few exceptions, Semitic languages, Japhethic languages, and Hamatic languages are segregated by region and/or skin colors with few exceptions. At least in the roots. Some of the notiorioius exceptions are some areas of Africa in which dark skinned tribes speak languages with Japhetic roots.