1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblical Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Jan 6, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I own the NDBT, however this is not all that detailed and more of a overall look at certain topics. At the moment besides the NDBT I have the book From Creation to the Cross by Albert Bayliss. and I have a book on Pauline theology by Cousar. I was thinking about this book Dominion and Dynasty: A Biblical Theology of the Hebrew Bible but not sure yet as I have not examined it in detail. I am aware of a NT Theology book by GK Beale however it looks to be too detailed. I also see that NT Right writes books, however he seems to be connected to the New Perspectives on Paul.

So what would be the benefits of studying Biblical theology in depth? This is not exactly a playground for Reformed as they will lean into Systematic Theology. To be honest I never took this class and may like to wise myself up.

#1 evangelist6589, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  2. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, can I give you a few thoughts? I really hope that I don't come across as overly critical, or harsh. I've been reading the threads here for only a few weeks, and I've seen you in a lot of threads mentioning all the books you read, your training, academic studies, etc.

I'm just really curious. After hearing what all those people have to say, have you still not zeroed in on a doctrine which satisfies? Why such an incessant drive to hear the next guy? Really, I only ask because I think of myself. After being raised in church and never hearing the truth, then finally finding the gospel at age 28, I found myself on a mission to throw away everything I'd ever learned, and find my own set of truth.

I didn't go to bible college or seminary, but I bought book after book, started learning Greek, I can't count the number of dissertations I've read, and was essentially on a militaristic mission to disprove anything that resembled what I was taught as a kid. Turns out that forgetting it was harder than I ever imagined. I remembered it, and ran to everything else. I was being blown around from east to west. But not only that, all the immersion into the world of academia was serving my pride a full course meal.

You seem willing to be persuaded by everyone from Augustine to Kirk Cameron, and everyone in between. You know what did me the most good? I stopped reading all those other guys, and got back to scripture. I still have some of those books, but they're collecting dust in my basement now.

I no longer feel the need to talk about reading six books at a time, or making sure to drop titles and authors into every conversation. You know another thing? I'm not blowing $3,000 a year on opinions. I'm fortunate to have studied church history, manners and customs, the Greco-Roman world, etc, because nowadays I use that info to get a better grip on the One Book that should matter the most.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    good post.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul Washer once said the following. Mature Christian read books that help them learn the Bible.

5. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can not disagree with that. I still use a few books, but not theologies or persuasive commentaries. I use a parallel bible (KJV, NASB, NIV, Amplified), an interlinear NT with NRSV margin and Greek concordance, and a word study dictionary.

those really help me understand the scriptures. All those others just took up precious space in my little brain

6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh I see you do have a point. Too many books of a pastor airing his opinions, too many systematic theologies and the like can be dangerous if the word is not read. Then we preach men and not the Bible. We need to be Bereans and test everything.

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

I've got to say, this is the best progression of reason and agreement I've seen on the board lately. Congrats to you all! :thumbsup:

8. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First... many reformed leaned toward biblical theology and the redemptive history of Scripture. Second, I agree w/ the Washer quote. Read more and more!!! You at least got that one right.

As for recommendations: Don't avoid N.T. Wright just b/c you think his view on justification is wrong. Even aside from that, his insights and writing is second to none. You would benefit from books like The Challenge of Jesus.

Other books on biblical theology to get you started would be What is Biblical Theology. This is new and perhaps at the level you are looking for. Goldsworthy is always good in this area. One of the best I have ever read is Mission of God by Chris Wright. It will rock your world and is very practical in its outlook. I haven't read it yet, but Schreiner just put out his bib theo.

When in doubt, you can check bestcommentaries.com for recommendations.

9. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me add this about biblical theology. It is fast becoming the salvation of evangelical theology and interpretation. It is not just a passing fad. It is a discipline that is paying its dividends in greater ways than systematic theology ever did. Instead of prooftexting verses, its holistic approach w/ storyline and running threads throughout the Bible are the rule of the day. I say it is high time to relax from a systematic approach and get on the bandwagon of biblical theology.