1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big East Mess

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Pete Richert, Nov 27, 2004.

1. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did somebody say BIG EAST BASKETBALL!? Let's go Orange! [​IMG] Syracuse hasn't had a football program since Coach Mac retired. Who's that quarterback down at Philly now? McNabb something? BTW: Didn't you love SU's going away present to BC?

The BCS labors under the same logic that operates the tax code.

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the Big East had been kicked out of its automatic BCS bid this year, there would have been 5 teams with the conference bids plus 3 at-large teams. Thus the Texas-Cal conflict would have been avoided with both of them getting a bid, as well as Utah. Cal v. Michigan in the Rose Bowl (Pac 10/Big 10 ties) is a matchup about equal to Texas v. Michigan, but it give the Cal and Pac 10 their nipple of what they consider "our Rose Bowl!" But then Texas v. Utah in the Fiesta Bowl (Big 12 tie) does look better than Pitt v. Utah.

If there was no provision in the current BCS contract to eliminate a conference with an auto-bid if that conference was weakened by departures of teams in its previous first division, there should have been. Even with Louisville joining, I think it would still be better to eliminate the Big E and go with 3 at-large teams for the next couple of years, if that could be done.

3. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Did somebody say BIG EAST BASKETBALL!? Let's go Orange! [​IMG] Syracuse hasn't had a football program since Coach Mac retired. Who's that quarterback down at Philly now? McNabb something? BTW: Didn't you love SU's going away present to BC?</font>[/QUOTE]I sure loved it, and I must say that I really enjoyed their basketball championship as well. I love coach Boeheim (even though I'm a Pitt fan). It's refreshing to see a coach stay home and continue a winning program for a change.

It's almost as taxing and as complicated, and you could think that the government had something to do with it as well.

4. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

If the Big East had been kicked out of its automatic BCS bid this year, there would have been 5 teams with the conference bids plus 3 at-large teams. Thus the Texas-Cal conflict would have been avoided with both of them getting a bid, as well as Utah. Cal v. Michigan in the Rose Bowl (Pac 10/Big 10 ties) is a matchup about equal to Texas v. Michigan, but it give the Cal and Pac 10 their nipple of what they consider "our Rose Bowl!" But then Texas v. Utah in the Fiesta Bowl (Big 12 tie) does look better than Pitt v. Utah.

If there was no provision in the current BCS contract to eliminate a conference with an auto-bid if that conference was weakened by departures of teams in its previous first division, there should have been. Even with Louisville joining, I think it would still be better to eliminate the Big E and go with 3 at-large teams for the next couple of years, if that could be done.
    </font>[/QUOTE]That sounds like a nice feel good solution for this year, but college presidents don't want to see whole conferences destroyed for selfish reasons. Unless of course they are from the ACC.

That is what would happen to football programs within the conference that looses the automatic bid. It would kill their recruiting.