1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Big Pot o' sumptin!

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by SaggyWoman, May 23, 2008.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you have a recipe for a big pot of something that I can make to serve about 70 people?

2. donnA

donnA Active Member

You could make some sort of soup or stew. How about pasta, it's easy not a lot of work.
    What did you have in mind? Easy or dressed up?

3. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Saggy -
    Pozole, a Mexican pork soup/stew, has always gone over well for me. It is super easy to make, not that expensive, filling, and you can tone it down or spice it up "heat-wise". You could even build a theme around it if something like that is needed. I have a really good recipe. If you'd like it and a few pointers, just PM me by Saturday night. I leave Sunday afternoon for the better part of the week. In any case, hope your event goes great! :wavey:

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

We had a graduation party for our sons a couple of years ago. I made lasagne to serve about 50 people. Instead of using the lasagne pasta, I used the medium shells. It was easier to cook and serve. For 50 people, I made 5 lasagne pans (9x13) and there was plenty. I also made a HUGE bowl of salad (just the bag ones, and threw in a bottle of olives and some chopped tomatoes, and croutons on top) and the frozen Rhodes yeast rolls. They come in bags of 72 for about $6 from Wal-Mart and Sams and are delicious. All you have to do is let them thaw and rise, and pop them in the oven. I made 2 bags and had some left over. We had cookies and home made ice cream for dessert.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I have a great recipe for "Sloppy Joes for a Crowd" that feeds 40 people. You could double the recipe.

BTW, it is delicious and not that 'sloppy'.

Add potato chips, slaw, and a few easy to make Jello cakes and you've got a meal fit for a King!

BTW, the Sloppy Joes are made and kept warm in a crockpot.

#5 I Am Blessed 24, May 24, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  6. Joe

Joe New Member

I have made burrittos. They are easy, and taste very good if the beans are homemade, which is a pretty simple task. Just grab a big pot.

People get in line to have the beans poured on their flour tortlla, then go onto the cheese, salsa, etc..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAQ6EEeA6aQ

Homemade Refried beans

The only thing I do different is I use a porcelin coffee cup to mash the beans, use real sea salt (in place of fake salt) which is very inexpensive, and use extra virgin olive oil. Also use vegesal sometimes

You could make homemade rice to go with it, or just offer a salad you bought as a part of a mix.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What's the event? Where will it be held? What kind of seating/table arrangements will there be? I take it disposable dishes and "silverware" will be used?

My thoughts would be to make a few things rather than just one large thing. My daughter will have a graduation party in July for about that many people and I will have:

BBQ Pulled Pork (made ahead of time - a few batches)
    Rolls for the pork
    Baked Ziti
    Meatballs
    Cold pasta salad
    Grilled Veggies
    Deli salads (potato, macaroni and cole slaw)
    Green Salad

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Ok saggy, what kind of Pot o' sumptin did you make?