1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Birth control and Christian colleges.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Paul33, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still waiting for verses that say using birth control is sin. Is anyone going to share one? It will make the discussion easier.

Children are a blessing. We should have them. But where is the verse that the anti-condom crowd base their doctrine.

("Doctrine" must be Scripture-specific or it is opinion).

And dodge the lightning rod. Your man-made view of God's sovereignty is just as erroneous as were the puritans of old New England.

2. GeneMBridges

GeneMBridges New Member

Hey, you can use polyurethane condoms. They are recommended for use if you are latex sensitive or allergic. Studies show an equivalent effectiveness rate with regard to pregnancy prevention, but there is a higher slippage rate (because of the material from which they are made).

You can purchase them from here:

http://www.ripnroll.com/avantiPoly.htm

3. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Sorry, My post was messed up. I think this Insurance issue applies. How many think insurance is sin because it is not trusting God? how many believe it is good stewardship? don't answer...

Here is my point. Abortive pills aside, it is a debatable issue. God will provide what He sees fit. If I plan to have children at certain increments I do it in faith. If God wants me to have more or at a different time than He will do it. It is a matter of faith. I have full faith that God will provide the children He wants me to have when he wants me to have them, but I get to be involved in more than just the fertilization.

5. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Bob:

Is it not a wee bit legalistic demanding a specific "Verse" rather than take the Scriptures we have already cited? OBVIOUSLY, there were no condoms of latex in those days - it was not an issue, just as God never says, don't drive your car too fast. There were no pills to take, no spermicides.

The issue was not specifically addressed but to say thay GOD opens and closes the womb. Children are His reward - NOT my chioce. The Bible is clearly pro-childbirth. No prohibitions ever mentioned to having them. God says that a man is blessed if his quiver is full of them - there is your number. Go check it out(According to the world today, you would be abusing your body, ladies. You will find that the "Nuclear Family" is rooted in the women's liberation movement!) If you will be blessed, you will see to it that you have more children!

However, when God says in I Corinthians 7 and in Proverbs that a husband and wife are to enjoy each other physically and meeting fully each others needs, there is a continuous, uninterrupted physical union. No concern is ever mentioned as to how many children we should not have -fill your quiver.

6. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Jeff:

ABSOLUTELY! I could not agree more. If God gives a life, HE provides for it! This is a large part of the argument for BC advocates. "We cannot afford a child" or "We cannot afford any more children." Really? Again we go to the fact that God is the giver of life. BOTTOM LINE. God is also the sustainer and provider of life. For a couple to say they cannot afford any more children is to DENY the Grace of God. It is akin to the fearmongers in the world who would have us to believe that the world will run out of food and we will not be able to feed everyone! Yeah right. The USA plants HALF of the acreage we used to! There are millions of acres that could be used for growing food - we don't need it. God grows more and HE grows it. We can plant all we want, but we all know that GOD gives the increase.

7. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Is a man with no children not blessed? How full does my quiver have to be before I can know I am blessed? And is continued uninterupted physical contact really mandatory? What if I fast during that time that we have planned to wait so the conception doesn't happen? If I have no more than my two children am I less blessed than those with three?

8. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Good grief Jeff. Read the Scripture I quoted (I Corinthians 7 deals with fasting). God gives life. If a married couple has no children, then God chose not to bless them with children. Of course a couple can be blessed of God, saved or unsaved - "marriage is honorable in all."

9. Jensen

Jensen New Member

I can't come up with a verse declaring BC a sin, however, there are principes in God's Word that may show the motives and reasoning behind a coubles use of BC being a sin. Again...it has to do with motive. Is your motive money? or lack of? If so, then you may be sinning by not trusting God. It was Christ who said "Do not worry!" Worry is a sin!

Is the reason because of time? or lack of? Slothfulness?

Is the reason ???? I don't know. What are the reasons for wanting to use BC. Are there any that are not selfish, greed oriented, faithless? Please respond.

10. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I did read it, that is why I asked. You didn't make yourself clear. I still assert that it is not wrong to plan, we just better be ready if God chooses different plans than us. Bottom line of this is that scripture speacks dirrectly to the issue of destroying life. It doesn't speak to the issue of planning when that life will happen. God is sovereign and we can't stop it, but we may plan for the best. I also agree that it is not an issue of money to wait, but there may be legitimate resons a couple may want to wait. It is a debatable issue ( which makes it perfect for this forum) but it is not sin to plan.

11. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

jenson,

I think health issues would be a good reason.

12. Jensen

Jensen New Member

Pastor Jeff,
    Thank you. Can you list some specifics?
    I think that God would provide the BC in many cases by making that a barrier or eliminating the desire? I don't know.

13. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I'm not sure either? But I think it is irresponsible to disregard a physicians advice just because we think we know better. If a woman is too week at a time or their is a strong chance that the baby might not make it at this point, but something could be done to correct the problem, there would be a strong reason to wait. God is in control and he is the Great Physician, but he has given us good physicians here.

14. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

This is reaching back a bit, but I am interested in the "family bed". You close by saying its biblical so I was wondering what passages you were refering to.

15. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

as to the pill causing abortions - you dont ovulate when using the pill, so there isnt a baby to abort. Now I am sure there are rare cases where it did happen, but generally, women taking the pill do not ovulate.

16. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Jeff:

Proverbs 5:18-19, Let thy fountain be blessed and rejoice with the wife of thy youth. Let her be as the loving hind and the pleasant roe; let her breasts satisfy thee at all times; and be thou ravished always with her love.

Always is the key. God is saying that you continue to have the intimate relations. No withholding during ovulation. Never is there a forbidding of the intimate relationship - save at one time, that was under the civil/ceremonial law, when a wife is menstruating.

I Corinthians 7:2-5 "Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband; and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not fo your incontinency."

What is God saying? The only time for us NOT to have the one flesh relationship of Husband and Wife is a specific, limited time to be used for fasting and prayer. Hmmm. How many couples are practicing a regular, weekly intimate, unrestrained relationship with each other? Sounds Mandatory to me, if you are not being intimate with each other, you are placing each other in the unecessary path of temptation by Satan.

Never is there any mention of witholding, withdrawing before the fluid of life is spent, or planning to have a first child or any of the current thought. God says, go ahead and keep on going unless for a limited time you need to fast and pray. Otherwise stay intimate, be intimate with your spouse.

Pete:

Have you had any children yet? If so, did your wife nurse them? This is a common practice (babies sleeping with their Mom) that you will find going on back to the days of Solomon. Remember the two women sleeping with their babies and one suffocated her child? Our babies stayed with us in bed after birth. I mean after all, they had been in our bed since conception - right. So this is not only part of a bonding process but also a physical separation process. The baby will sleep better in bed with its Mother and Father as it as been doing. The baby also will nurse when it needs to and find its comfort and security right there instead of being in another room.

After having our family of 4, we saw this every time. It is normal and surely the Scripture alludes to it with Newborn Babes needing the assurance and security of its heavenly Father. So do we when we are born. Here is an interesting thought to chew on. No where in Scripture do you find a verse that tells a Mother to love her children! Must be they don't have to if they don't want to then. ;)

17. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Peter Richert

Luke 11:7

The culture at the time of Jesus and around much of the world today, includes young children in bed with their parents.

From birth (home birth), our young infants have slept with us in bed. Around age two, each of them waddled off to their own bedrooms! Our firstborn, one day went to her room to sleep, and that was the end of the family bed for her!

Our eighth child usually starts the night next to our bed on the floor, but in the middle of the night he often climbs in bed to be with mom! He is 2 years, 2 months.

Children develop a strong bond with their parents and develop a strong sense of trust, in what Erikson calls the first stage of development (trust vs. mistrust).

Mary Pride has information on the family bed. There is also a book titled The Family Bed.

18. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Tater Tot says:
    Now I am sure there are rare cases where it did happen, but generally, women taking the pill do not ovulate.

Oops. Be careful about this. "The Pill" does cause abortions. Facts and proofs are there.

19. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Bob,

Where is your verse against "mixed" swimming?

drinking wine?

dancing?

women wearing pants?

women wearing make-up?

students attending major universities?

students attending "new evangelical" colleges?

I think you get the idea. I can't believe that you would use the argument you are using to advocate the continued use of birth control.

There may be some good arguments for the use of barrier methods at certain stages in the life of a couple, but "show me the verse" is not one of them.

20. foxrev

foxrev New Member

Paul:

This is a wonderful thing that remains silent in the world today. LOVE/INTIMACY in the home from conception through birth, infancy etc. Too many families are ready to have children and then "hurry up and get them out of my hair."