1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bishop John Spong re-thinks Heaven & Hell

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by lori4dogs, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I think I saw that on an episode of Twilight Zone. :laugh:

2. BillySunday1935

BillySunday1935 New Member

And you failed to read what I posted (as usual). Ref post #59.

So, no matter what we do (or fail to do) - no matter what sins(s) we commit, our purification has already been completed? If we are already pure, then we cannot sin. Are you pure Rev? I'm not.

Wow - Works as part of salvation....

Yes it WILL (future tense) be realized. And that precludes a future cleansing how?

I disagree and have provided reams of scripture challeneging the idea that one cannot lose one's salvation....

OK - lets disect 2 Ti 3:16:

Is scripture inspired? Yes!
    Is scripture profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness? Yes!
    Is scripture instructive? Yes!
    Is scripture authoritative? Yes!
    Is scripture the only authority? No - and 2 Ti 3:16 does not state that it is.

And where do you get the authority and credibility to make such a statement? I mean - since YOU are making this statement and THAT is outside of scripture and all...

Peace!

#82 BillySunday1935, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It makes a sort of sense. But not really. Why wait until we're dead? Instead God places a living spirit in a dead body so until I die I'm really a zombie. Sounds wrong.

4. BillySunday1935

More likely you saw it on Sponge Bob Square Pants. :thumbs:

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You're not a zombie. But it is God's design to do it this way. I think it has something to do with "free will" thingy. :tongue3:
    While we are on this earth, God is conforming us to the image of Christ. This is done through our own choice to follow Him or not. A choice we face 24/7. Every time we choose to obey Christ, we become a little more like Him. This is God's plan and I gave up questioning why. I just decided He knows more than I do.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Never seen the show. I'm old.

7. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't know. I'm in a dead body waking around. Sounds Zombie like to me. And as much as I obey God I will never be 100% conformed to the image of Christ. So what happens then?

Actually I have to agree with your last sentence. Its all above my head.

8. BillySunday1935

What you believe is YOUR interpretation of God's word and it's one with which I completely disagree. I'll ask you again -- why is your interpretation of scripture less fallible than mine or anyone else's for that matter?

Then why not try addressing the scripture that I gave you in post #59 instead of giving me YOUR opinion?
    (Actually, the bible says that not everything was written in the bible - not me) Ref: (John 20:30; 21:35)

Its both - no contradicitions there. Do you believe that Jesus was both fully God and fully man? He can't be both right? Which is it?

"If you would only stick to scripture, you would not be caught in these contradictions, because the truth is in God's word" Right....:thumbs:

Peace!

#88 BillySunday1935, Apr 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2010
  9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

But you said it's in heaven - whether it's an ante-chamber or not, it's still in heaven.

But do you have ANY biblical support for this or are you going by your extra-biblical thoughts for your doctrine?

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Your view is not based on scripture. That is why it is fallible.

I did. Post #60

I can't be both. You said purgatory purification takes place before heaven, then you said it takes place in heaven. Total contradiction.

Glad you agree. Now please start supplying the scripture to support your beliefs. I still would like to see where the Bible speaks about a "compartment" in heaven that purifies people. How about an outside source? Do you even have that?

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

Sigh...more "Baptist Doctrine" from our "Southern Baptist."

Maybe he'll deal with the rosary on his next thread.

12. BillySunday1935

What - do you actually believe that heaven is one huge place with no divisions? Are you saying that God cannot do this if he wants?

R E A D :null: P O S T :null: # 5 9.

Peace!

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Who said you're walking around in a dead body? You're breathing aren't you? :smilewinkgrin:

14. BillySunday1935

:null::rolleyes:

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

BS, you say that I learned what I believe from other people. I'm just wondering where you learned what you believe? It wasn't in the Baptist Church, since you claim to be a Baptist. It's not in the Bible, so you must have learned this stuff from somebody. Who?

16. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The apostle Paul said I was in a dead body. :tear:

17. lori4dogs

lori4dogs New Member

I learned most of what I now believe about Catholicism right here on the Baptist Board while I was still Baptist. This was back in the day before 'The Great Purge'.

18. Thinkingstuff

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So what you are basically saying is that heaven has a purification Chamber where we are tossed into, get burned, then scrubbed, and then washed off by Saints in air tight radiation anti sin suites carrying hoses until our skin is rubbed raw. Then we are led into an air chamber where we have to wait until the preasure matches that in heaven. Once thats accomplished the air tight seal is then open while we adjust to the new heaven air and are finally let in throught a 10 inch blast proof door? is that where you're going with it? Just curious.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Where did he say that? Let's look at the scripture.

20. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I TOLD you I saw that on Twilight Zone! :laugh: