1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bivocational Pastor needs help

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by GodsRealTruth, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Without speaking to any individual situation on this thread, I offer some thoughts.

Seems to me that instead of waiting until a schedule conflict develops, a bivocational pastor should deal with those potential conflicts at the beginning, with both his church and his secular boss.

Any church with a bivoc pastor must understand that there will be sometimes when his secular job comes first The church must offer him some flexibility, even to the point of encouraging him to put his job first, if necessary.

The employer needs to know of church responsibilities at the outset. That's the time to have an understanding as to the employer's willingness to allow some schedule flexibility. If he is willing, good. If not, you have choices. Don't take the job, or take it and advise the church of the implications. In most cases, the church will understand.

I think it is a mistake to think that choosing your church responsibilities over your secular job is choosing God over your employer.

Remember, I'm speaking in general terms, not trying to deal with individual situations.

2. BillYoung

BillYoung New Member

Good advise

I was bivocational from 1977 til 2004 when I began having heart trouble.
    If you train your people in your church to be servants you will have plenty of help for these causes.You cannot do all the work along.Teach your people to minister with you. Blackbird give you the best advise in my opinion. Brother Bill :jesus: www.TheYoungsgospel.com

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

How are things going brother?