1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black and White

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by jacob62, May 13, 2005.

1. jacob62

jacob62 Guest

Why is it in most cities,there are black churches and there are white churches?

2. mareese

mareese Guest

Because worship styles differ between black and whites.
    Because blacks and whites have different things to deal with and be addressed for their spiritual growth.
    On and on.

3. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

mareese, I'm curious if you can tell if you have a mixture of white and black members in your Church. I have not been to a Church where whites and blacks co-exist in the same congregation.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It's hard to find a black church here. I have never seen one. We do have some ethnic churches--Chinese, Korean, East Indian, etc. But then we have some of the same peoples in our own church--black, Philippinos, East Indian, Korean, Aboriganal, and others. Though the cultures of the peoples attending are very different, it doesn't stop us from worshipping one with another. The basis of our fellowship is: 1. Christ, and 2. doctrine.
    DHK

5. mareese

mareese Guest

No. We are very small and there are not many blacks in this area.
    Despite the small size there are a number of races represented.
    I did attend a church in the past where there were blacks and whites, although it was predominantly white, and if I have it right the assistant pastor they hired recently is black.
    The only black/white together in church problem I've ever had anything to do with personally was a white female friend who attended a black church as she was dating one of their members. People made it obvious that they thought the relationship was wrong and they didn't want her around. She didn't stay, with either.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

The churches in Australia are multi cultural, I think its great, I suppose if there was a large group of Greeks in one area, the local church might be represented that way, but I am sure there would still be non greeks there.

7. Rocko9

Rocko9 New Member

Mareese,
    I thought it was interesting what you stated about the relationship of a white female with a black member. So now my question is it wrong to have interracial relationships after all Moses did marry Zipporah.

8. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

No it is not wrong, the only unequal yoking is between a beliver and a non believer, if God gives a man a wife of a different race, yet she loves the Lord, that man has recieved the greatest blessing that God can give a man.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is indeed sad that one of the most segrated places in America today is the church.

Thankfully, there are a lot of churches in our area that represent the diversity of our community. My own church has a nice mix of Anglos, Hispanics, and Blacks (which includes African Americans, Jamaicans, etc.).

One of the key ways to have a diverse church is to have a church staff that represents the community as well. However, I think that this is even more of a rarity than a diverse church.

10. mareese

mareese Guest

I don't believe it's wrong, and don't believe there is anything in scripture that tells us it is.
    A mixed marriage often brings in some unique situations that other marriages don't have to deal with. Many of those problems can be intensified by the prejudice people may face, especially in certain areas. Any couple should take those into consideration and be prepared for them. It's easy to say that love can overcome it all, but preparation sure makes it easier.

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would feel very uncomfortable to be excluded from worship on account of skin colour or cultural background. Does this mean that a man of Hebrew/Jewish ethnicity would be given the cold shoulder in the USA or his mates because they were rough looking in their work gear.....

Oh my..... :confused:

12. mareese

mareese Guest

Generally speaking, no. Any type of prejudice can depend on where you are and is subject to change in intensity even from church to church.
    I think a lot of the separation in churches based on race and culture is just that though. There are so many language and cultural differences, and any human tends to feel more comfortable speaking and hearing his own language or dialect and being taught how to deal with issues that can be relevent to his specific culture. You can have one city and have subsections where one part has been settled into by those from China, or those from Germany, or those from Italy. That Christians in each section would attend a church that relates to them really can't be considered prejudice until the church becomes unaccepting of any others.

13. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Good response Mareese, and I agree up to a point. There are a huge number of advantages in multiculturalism and of course there is a down side which is ghettoing of subgroups which I am very anti. Naturally there will be associations for folk to get together in a social context, however people migrating to a new place should ber ACTIVELY DISCOURAGED in bringing their prejudices from their old home, this is not easy.

Welcome to Australia or USA or whever but leave behind the bad stuff you left in your old home country. Governments need to underscore this by language courses, particularly for those usually women confined to home because of small children etc.

I know churches in my city will often have Cantonese services for Lutheran members but all come together for fetes, songfests etc. to cite one example- welcome to Oz but we want you to become Ozzies. Being RC myself the Mass that I attend is in Latin so there is no need for vulgate services......one of the major advantages in retaining Latin I feel.