1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Belt in Biblical Languages....who's got "POW!!!"

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Dobberfly, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

you'd do well to get out of the very conservative sphere and listen to what other approaches have to offer.

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dobbberfly,

If you are talking about doing an eclectic degree; studying at DTS and then Southern, then why not take your Hebrew at one of the Jewish seminaries?

If you will look closely at the Evangelical Hebrew scholars, many of them have studied Hebrew with the Hebrews if you will. [​IMG]

Just a thought. [​IMG]

sdg!

rd

3. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

I agree with Joseph ( :eek: ) that Waltke is indeed a powerhouse.

I think it would be hard to be DTS for Greek (Fanning and Wallace together) unless once were to look into Classics programs instead of theology.

4. Charles Meadows

Oops! I meant it would be hard to BEAT DTS for Greek.

5. Dobberfly

Dobberfly New Member

Rhetorician,

I'm planning on doing my basic Hebrew in Israel under Dr. Randall Buth of the Jerusalem Cornerstone Foundation. I'd rather take the basic course from those who speak the language on an everyday situation. I'm looking at a seminary because I need a good grounding in biblical theology as well.

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think Modern Hebrew is different from Biblical Hebrew.

7. Dobberfly

Dobberfly New Member

The verb structure is identical, but you'd never know that looking at a seminary book on Hebrew. Modern Hebrew was built on Biblical Hebrew and the Jewish prayer books. There probably are a few differences. But when I talked to one of the staff at the JCF, she said the verb breakdown was identical. The Hebrew University also requires a few years of modern Hebrew before taking any Biblical Hebrew, so that students understand pronunciation and basic structures. Just my .02 worth. [​IMG]

8. Charles Meadows

Modern Hebrew is derived largely from Mishnaic Hebrew. Thus the overlap between biblical and modern Hebrew is considerable. I have studied some Modern Hebrew (and I recommend Edward Horowitz's book "How the Hebrew Language Grew") and have found it quite helpful in my conceptualization of the ancient Hebrew verbal system.

Randall Buth is a linguistic scholar of the highest order - I would have loved the chance to study with him!!

9. greek geek

greek geek New Member

i agree with what some have said about dts. i am a current dts student, and their language programs are awesome. the greek is topnotch - i don't think you can find better. and the hebrew is awesome and getting even better. one of their newist ot faculty studied at hebrew union - so he's bringing a lot to the department. (i'm concentrating in hebrew.)

most "negative vibes" i got about dts was from those opposed to dispensationalism - but most that "bash" dts for that don't even know what dispensationalism is. and you don't have to believe in dispen to go there, there are many students who don't, and i haven't made up my mind yet. but you will be taught from dispen point of view - but if you don't go for that view you can just weed that out of what you decide to take away. and don't let cost be a factor - they are great about offering scholarships. and i've been keeping a running tally of how many baptists are on faculty - and probably about 70% of the profs i've had are baptist.