1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Community Shows Racism in Primary

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by righteousdude2, May 7, 2008.

1. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's just the problem.
    They teach their children "never to forget".
    This is what they did to us, this is how they treated us, this is how we were hung and strung, this is how we served them.
    Them, us. They, us.
    You are African-American.
    Be proud of your color, never forget.

So what happens ?

An "in your face" I'm black and proud of it.
    I style my hair African-American.
    My name is African-American.
    I will never adopt an Anglo-Saxon sounding name, will always name my kids names that sound African, no matter how ridiculous it sounds.
    My hair style is African-American.

Sorry, folks.
    I'm not white, I'm not black.
    I'm brown.
    And I'm brown who have tried to apply several times in black dominated work areas, like the Metros, and have had my application form "thanked and we'll get in touch with you" or outright ignored while the brothers and the sistahs were hired.

But, that's just the way life works.

We were considering Obama, my family and I, until Oprah went gung ho-ing for him, until we got a call from somebody who says his name is Chris Rock, until we saw those "champions" of the African-American "causes" on tv urging to vote for real "change".

I guess now is not yet the time.

I guess the time is when African-Americans are able to bury the hatchet, forget the past, and point their children to one future history - as Americans, and only as Americans.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Abd there are those who would never vote for the carpetbagger or McCain because they are white. The racism is across the board.

3. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Thanks for the post, pinoybaptist. You hit the proverbial nail on the head. :thumbs:

4. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Reverse discrimination... Excuse the expression but imagine being a "rag" wearing muslim?

In the words of a great american spoken before a very mixed crowed which represented the giant melting pot we call america;

I think you hit on a very good point that these prejudices run deep and cross all kinds of divides...

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Correct, it seems blacks have groups like ACLU, NAACP, Rainbow etc... f these groups were true to their charter they would start representing all injustices and not just those of a particular race.

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Organizations like these use race as a political tool to gain power. They are not genuinely offended by any kind of racism.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I'll let Al "Your Pal" Sharpton know, he'll talk to um...

8. JerryL

JerryL New Member

You will find more than one here at BB, by their words about this in the past, that seem to lean toward a racist view. :tear:

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Baloney. I'm tired of the truth being construed as "racism". The ones being labeled as such are the ones speaking out AGAINST segregation, not for.
    If the shoe were on the other foot, as Steven implied, I know I would be able to look past the color of skin to vote for the man that would best lead our country. If Colin Powell were running today, he would have my vote, so race has NOTHING to do with it (or at least it shouldn't.)

If someone is voting solely because they are all excited and giddy that someone of the same race could be making history, they have no business voting. I can write in my dog if I wanted to make history. That is nothing but making a mockery of our civil liberties.

#29 webdog, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Webdog, you are right. :thumbs:

11. Cutter

Cutter New Member

A snippet of an excellent article written by Walter Williams:
    "The civil rights struggle in America is over and it's won. At one time black Americans did not have the constitutional guarantees enjoyed by white Americans; now we do. The fact that the civil rights struggle is over and won does not mean that there are not major problems confronting many members of the black community but they are not civil rights problems and have little or nothing to do with racial discrimination.
    While not every single vestige of racial discrimination has disappeared, Obama and the Rev. Wright are absolutely wrong in suggesting that racial discrimination is anywhere near the major problem confronting a large segment of the black community. The major problems are: family breakdown, illegitimacy, fraudulent education and a high rate of criminality. To confront these problems, that are not the fault of the larger society, requires political courage and that's an attribute that Obama and most other politicians lack."

Here's the link to the entire article.
    http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterEWilliams/2008/03/26/is_obama_ready_for_america

12. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Grand Slam...Out-of-the-Park!

Great response. Like Webdog, you hit the nail on the head.:thumbs:

Like several others have said. If Powell were running for office, or, if Rice were a candidate, I would not only vote for them, I'd roll up my sleeves and do whatever was needed to help them win. These two black leaders have accomplished many great things. The kind of things that translate into the type of substance that would make them a candidate ready to be president on day one. Obama is academically prepared, but, like a person graduating from college, you can't start at the top of the corporation until you've proven yourself worthy at the bottom of the food chain [so to speak]. Obama is not ready; worthy; capable; able; and knowledgeable of what it takes to run a nation on the cusp of falling apart at the seams.

Pastor Paul

#32 righteousdude2, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This democrat primary has always been about race.

White people just didn't know it. Blacks always have.

14. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

BRAVO!!! Many people have a hard time relating to the experiences of others. It is still helpful to try rather than cast stones.

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You would do this even though Condi Rice believes that the government should stay out of a woman's decision to have an abortion? I take it then that you are not a hard-core political anti-abortion person like some are who post in this forum.

16. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Arean't a majority of the black community democratic? If so then there is a 50% chance Obama would get their vote. I think you'd have more of a point if the majority of the blacks voted for Condi or Powell.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent point, LeBuick. African-Americans usually vote around 90% for the Democratic candidate regardless of the candidate's skin color.

18. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

This entire discussion presupposes a monolithic "black community", rather than individual people. Quite a broad brush being used here.

19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    90% plus tells the tale.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Do you have numbers that prove 90% is not the norm?