1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Black Jesus Film

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by AF Guy N Paradise, Jan 20, 2006.

1. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Who's image of Jesus is fair haired and blue eyed?

3. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

looks to be about as credible as the passion movie -
    just a horse of a another color :D

ps: disclaimer: I am NOT prejudiced against African Americans - we all come from the same pile of dirt, just shaded little differently :cool:

4. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I dont care what color He is. Havent heard of the movie, tho.

5. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Knew the film was at Sundance. I have to agree with gp, who believes Jesus was fair haired with light eyes?

6. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

On the other hand there are several cutural mistakes in the Michangelo Last Supper portrait, so the Black rendetion of it is even more ridiculous! Ah, well, I only wonder what type of haircut he had...

7. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Jesus was much closer to being Black than he was to looking like white ASmericans. I saw a special once that by looking at historical trends Jesus had short curly hair, was fairly short himself and wasn't as handsome as He is portrayed in most paintings.

All this is interesting but does it really matter? What I do think is significant in this movie is the portrayel of Christ as a revolutionary because that's exactly what He was. He completely changed the world and is continuing to do so. It also sounds as if it emphasizes the mean circumstances of His birth and His life under oppression in a way we can better understand.

8. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

Hmmmm, I suppose a graphic novel has a little more liberty to do that...?

9. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

[​IMG]

10. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus was not Swedish looking (fair with blue eyes) nor was he Black. He was Jewish and Middle Eastern. He probably looked a lot like Middle Easterners look today, which is neither the fair look nor Black.

11. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men: So shall he sprinkle many nations; the kings shall shut their mouths at him: for that which had not been told them shall they see; and that which they had not heard shall they consider. Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed? For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. (Isaiah 52:14-15-53:1-2)

Here is how the Bible describes what Jesus looked like--man's imagination of what Jesus looked like, is just that, his (man's) imagination. We know that Jesus was Jewish--so he was probably semetic in his features, but we really know nothing else.

12. nate

nate New Member

Marcia is right the people who made this film know as little of history as do the Aryan Nations who claim Jesus was blond and blue eyed. He was Jewish and looked just like the Jews of today.

13. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

I'll have to agree that Jesus was probably not fair-haired and blue-eyed, but he wasn't African either. I find this sort of thing offensive as it is obviously playing up to a specific audience. (And no, I'm not a biggot.) Linda64 is, IMHO, right on.

14. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

"Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more." Paul

"Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory." Peter

"And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle. His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength." John

Mark Osgatharp

15. eloidalmanutha

eloidalmanutha New Member

Right on!!!!!!! :D
    Jesus was born a Jew, but He is not a Jew. In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free. He is the Lord of lords and King of kings - without nationality. He only recognizes two people groups - those who love Him and those who don't ;)

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only reason that I would get my nose out of joint over this movie would be if it did not present the gospel correctly or if it purposely went out of its way to distort the Truth.

They used a black actor? I don't really care. Yes, it sounds strange to all of us, but that's because we have been conditioned and programmed by the SAME media to believe that Jesus was a white man.

....and not only a white man, but one with long, straight, silky hair, perfect cheekbones and other facial features, and a countenance on his face that made us think that He was perfectly "serence" (almost "hippie" like) at all times.

This black man being portrayed as Jesus isn't the first time that the media got his skin tone and ethnicity "way" off base. Not by a long shot.

Let's be more concerned with the content of the film than the actor.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I'm with Sister Marcia on this one! Olive skinned Middle Eastern----probably from Nebraska or Ohio-----just kidding here!!!

I heard John MacArthur teach once-----and I do not have the quote---so don't nobody go quoteing what can't be quoted----but in the sermon he was describing the physical attributes of the Lord Jesus according to Isaiah's text in Isaiah 53---that Jesus wasn't some "long haired" Southern boy from Mid America----handsome---clean shaven---hair like Elvis---but rather on the side description of what would be seen in The Hunchback of Notre Dame! He had no form nor comeliness that we should be attracted to Him---but probably had a repulsive body feature!