1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Blacks Must Confront Reality

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a good place for you to start your research

http://www.kon.org/urc/v4/tikhomirova.html

That is your strawman not mine.

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's recap the logic of this thread. The discussion has focused on all of the problems black people have with violence and children born out of wedlock while ignoring the vast amounts of white people that do the same thing. Yet when the issue of slavery comes up all of a sudden Rev. Mitch jumps in to point out the small fraction of black people that might have had slaves as well which is one of the funniest and saddest statistical comparisons probably ever made on this board.

You really can't make this stuff up folks.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. It's like this:

There are 15 million white American children being raised by one parent only, the mother.

There are 5 million black American children being raised by one parent only, the mother.

When it is pointed out that there are 3X more whites than blacks in this situation then the argument becomes, "Yeah, but there is a higher percentage by population of blacks being raised in a one parent household than whites. They need to look in the mirror and face up to their problems."

While the percentage argument is factually correct, it's just a ridiculous position to take.

[Note: numbers may or may not be accurate, I use them for illustrative purposes.]

#63 InTheLight, Apr 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2015
  4. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

:applause::applause:

5. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right and it would be better stated for everybody to just say that America has a problem with single parent households yet for some reason people want to turn it into some bizarre competition where the loser gets labeled as the problem race. That attitude serves nobody. My irony meter is going off of the school listening to people say that one race has to look in the mirror while simultaneously avoiding the same issue happening within their own race.

#65 Use of Time, Apr 16, 2015
  6. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well isn't that the nature of racism? And isn't that what prejudice is...to have racial bias?

7. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep, of course it is but apparently if you point that out on this board you are playing the race card.

8. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's because men love the darkness (ignorance) rather than the light (truth), because the light exposes that their works (and hearts) are evil. — John 3:19

9. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's certainly true here at times.

10. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And it becomes more of a shame when it's God's supposed people doing it.

Somewhere along the way, somebody mixed some crazy in the baptismal and folks have been under water swallowing.

And I can't for the life of me figure out why white Christians don't see the parallel between how white Christians acted during the slavery and Jim Crow eras and how they are acting now?

11. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me the title of this thread plays a race card. You do realize there are many race cards? Right?

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Misdirection again Rev. He said in American history...meaning the history of the United States.

When are you going to begin accepting reality of the history of the USA and the mistreatment of African Americans by whites?

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

And right there CTB is why race relations are where they are in this country.

14. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, using the facts to take a position is now ridiculous?

Somewhere down the line, I'll remind you of what you said.

And as illustrated by the OP, some educated black Americans don't agree with you and the other enablers either.

#74 carpro, Apr 16, 2015
  15. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using my example, why is it that 5 million blacks should "look in the mirror and confront their problem" but 15 million white people don't need to? Because there is a higher concentration yet less raw numbers? I don't see the reasoning.

Whatever.

Now, I'm an enabler. Sheesh. I agree with your stats. Yes, there is a higher percentage of blacks being arrested for crimes, higher percent of blacks with one parent households, etc., but to focus on BLACKS ONLY as having these problems is misguided.

#75 InTheLight, Apr 16, 2015
  16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You won't say that when it happens.

And yes, enablers are basically in denial, especially of the facts. It fits.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/24/AR2005072401115.html

Why Our Black Families Are Failing

By William Raspberry
    Monday, July 25, 2005

"There is a crisis of unprecedented magnitude in the black community, one that goes to the very heart of its survival. The black family is failing."

Quibble if you will about the "unprecedented magnitude" -- slavery wasn't exactly a high point of African American well-being. But there's no quarreling with the essence of the alarm sounded here last week by a gathering of Pentecostal clergy and the Seymour Institute for Advanced Christian Studies. What is happening to the black family in America is the sociological equivalent of global warming: easier to document than to reverse, inconsistent in its near-term effect -- and disastrous in the long run.

Father absence is the bane of the black community, predisposing its children (boys especially, but increasingly girls as well) to school failure, criminal behavior and economic hardship, and to an intergenerational repetition of the grim cycle. The culprit, the ministers (led by the Rev. Eugene Rivers III of Boston, president of the Seymour Institute) agreed, is the decline of marriage.

Snip

...black America's almost reflexive search for outside explanations for our internal problems delayed the introspective examination that might have slowed the trend. What we have now is a changed culture -- a culture whose worst aspects are reinforced by oversexualized popular entertainment and that places a reduced value on the things that produced nearly a century of socioeconomic improvement. For the first time since slavery, it is no longer possible to say with assurance that things are getting better.

As the Rev. Jesse Jackson said in a slightly different context, "What began as a problem has deteriorated into a condition. Problems require solving; conditions require healing."

17. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's not a contest, but a problem the whole country faces. Your singular focus on black people only while blatantly ignoring the the staggering number of white people doing the same thing is telling.

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nobody said it was, but crime statistics for young black males are astronomical...So far out of proportion with their percentage of the population that it should sound an alarm.

Refusing to recognize the problem won't make it go away.

So now call me a racist again. That's all you have.

Meanwhile my sources (mostly black intellectuals) will keep sounding the alarm. They are racists, too. Aren't they.

And enablers and apologists like you will, in their denial, just exacerbate the problem.

I told you before you are a coward when it comes to a rational discussion of race. Instead you just fling accusations of racism. Waiting for you to call Walt Williams and William Raspberry racists. If I am, they are.

19. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberals want to ignore stats when it comes to problems within the black community such as fatherless homes but want to rely on them when it comes to looking at who is in prison. Quite hypocritical

20. Use of Time

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Carpro's argument.

Black people must face reality because there are more of them that do this per capita than white people. White people's numbers aren't all that great either but they are doing better than black people so all is well and no need to address this problem within their culture.

That makes a whole lot of sense. :tonofbricks: Kind of hard to tell an entire race to face reality when you give your own a pass isn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.