1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blair to announce departure this week?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Matt Black, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Over here in Limeyland we have some important, mid-term-style elections this week (local council and Scottish Parliament and Welsh Assembly) in which Tony Blair's Labour Party are likely to be well and truly trounced. Bearing in mind that Blair has said that he will announce his leaving the Premiership at some point in the summer and that tomorrow marks the 10th anniversary of him becoming Prime Minister, speculation here is rife that Tone will say when he's going to resign tomorrow in advance of the elections or at the latest sometime next week. If Labour do really badly the pressure on him to resign immediately may be irresistible.

Bush may find himself dealing with Premier Brown by the time May is out...watch this space!

2. Matt Black

Site Supporter

3. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

I suspect Sir Menzies' comment that Blair will be remembered largely for his involvement in Iraq is correct. The public remembers only those things that loom large and that come to be seen as mistakes. We'll have to leave it to the historians to assess more fully Blair's accomplishments. Let's remember that the British public pitched out Churchill at one point ... they have not done that to Blair, but he can read the tea leaves. And he has to be tired.

I watch "Prime Minister's Question Time" on CSpan nearly every week, and am amazed at his natural eloquence.

I am told that Mr. Blair has a deep Christian faith. Anyone know more about that? Years back, when he read I Cor 13 at Princess Diana's funeral, I thought it was the most sensitive and inspiring reading of that text I had ever heard. I bought that snippet from CNN so that I could play it in a worship service in lieu of actually reading the passage myself.

And what will Blair do in retirement? There has been some speculation that he may come to the US to do a visiting professorship, perhaps at Georgetown here in Washington.

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

The lecture circuit beckons, methinks.

I think that Tony does have a sincere Christian faith - from the Anglo-Catholic end of the Episcopalian spectrum. His wife is a practising Catholic.

But Ming is right - Iraq is all he'll be remembered for.

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Update: I was a week out; the lame duck will be finally shot on 27th June.