Blasphemer or saved?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Sopranette, May 28, 2008.

1. Sopranette

Sopranette
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It's just a simple question. When a person, who has never or rarely gone to church, calls out God's name during a time of extreme duress, is he then saved, or is he calling God's name in vain? Does he really believe Jesus will save him, or is it something extreme he says to match the situation he finds himself in? And does this question make sense? I watched a movie the other day, when a man in dire straits said, "Oh, God, oh, God." Obviously it was an actor playing a role, but I wonder if in real life that would equate salvation.

love,

Sopranette

2. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

It could be possible, but in most cases I doubt it. If they said they were saved, we have no right to question it. Of course his fruits would prove if he meant it or not after that moment.

Mar 7:6He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with [their] lips, but their heart is far from me.

BBob,

3. annsni

annsni
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

He's asking for God to save his life - not his soul. Nope, not saved.

4. Sopranette

Sopranette
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Yeah, that's what I thought. I hear people say things like, "Oh, my God! Did you see that?" And I look at them, wishing they would be more discerning about when to call on God. I'd like to say to them, remember the commandments, but then think they probably don't even know they're breaking one. Or another one, "God d--n it!". It makes ME nervous when I hear it! It will surely come back to haunt them when God takes a look at them after this life is over!

love,

Sopranette

5. ajg1959

ajg1959
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

There are many false conversions in our prisons. When folks are locked up they get desperate for help and for a time cry out to God to get them out. But then when they are released they go right back to what they were doing and forget about God.

I know that there are many true prison conversions, but alot are just pity parties that dont last long after release.

If a person cannot look to God and be thankful to Him when times are good, then I really doubt his sincerity in his faith when times are bad. And only God knows their hearts, but the outward signs really make you wonder if they are truely saved.

AJ