1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blessing from an Old Hymn

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, May 31, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Arise, my soul, arise; shake off thy guilty fears;
    The bleeding sacrifice in my behalf appears:
    Before the throne He stands,
    Before the throne He stands,
    My name is written on His hands.

He ever lives above, for me to intercede;
    His all-redeeming love, His precious blood, to plead:
    Before the throne of grace,
    Before the throne of grace,
    He gladly takes my sinful place.

Five bleeding wounds He bears; received on Calvary;
    They pour effective prayers; they strongly plead for me:
    “Forgive, forgive,” they cry,
    “Forgive, forgive,” they cry,
    “This ransomed sinner must not die!”

The Father hears Him pray, His dear anointed One;
    He cannot turn away the presence of His Son;
    He sees the priceless blood,
    He sees the priceless blood,
    And tells me I am born of God.

My God is reconciled; His pardoning voice I hear;
    He owns me for His child; I can no longer fear:
    With boldness I draw nigh,
    With boldness I draw nigh,
    And “Father, Abba, Father,” I cry.

2. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

Indeed, truths from the Scriptures.
    I found this information regarding the above hymn:
    www.blessedquietness.com/journal/housechu/arise.htm+%22Arise,+my+soul,+arise%22&hl=en
    Arise, My Soul, Arise

No story of a hymn can be more sweet and precious than its basis in scripture. Charles Wesley shows his profound knowledge of scripture in the Biblical refernces that flowed out through his hymns. Here is the the scriptural story behind one his great hymns.

Arise, my soul, arise,

Isaiah 60:1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.

Shake off thy guily fears;

Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

The Saviour's sacrifice

1Corinthians 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us:

In my behalf appears;

Hebrews 9:24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:

Before the throne my Surety stands,

Revelation 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

Hebrews 7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

My name is written on His hands;

Isaiah 49:16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.

He ever lives above,

For me to intercede,

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

His all redeeming love,

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

His precious blood to plead;

1Peter 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

His blood atoned for all our race,

Romans 5:11 And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

1Timothy 2:6 Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.

And sprinkles now the throne of grace.

Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Five dreadful wounds He bears,

John 20:27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Luke 24:40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

Recieved on Calvary;

Luke 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.

They pour effectual prayers,

They strongly plead for me:

Lamentations 3:58 O Lord, thou hast pleaded the causes of my soul; thou hast redeemed my life.

"Forgive him, O forgive," they cry,

Luke 23:34 Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do....

"Nor let that ransomed sinner die!"

Job 33:24 Then he is gracious unto him, and saith, Deliver him from going down to the pit: I have found a ransom.

Now I am reconciled;

Romans 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

God's pardoning voice I hear;

Isaiah 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

He owns me for His child;

Galatians 3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

I can no longer fear;

Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.

1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

With confidence I now draw nigh,

Ephesians 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord: 12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.

Hebrews 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

And, "Father, Abba, Father," cry.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Thanks you Bob for sharing... [​IMG]