1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Blessing of the animals worship service

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Michael Wrenn, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alive in Christ..... what is it you object to, (specifically)?

#161 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Does he approve of it being done in a Baptist church? I doubt it since he said:

"We can learn from a community like Taizé, even if we may differ from some of the theology and the extent of the ecumenism advocated there."

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It is not being endorsed by Trevin. If you'd like, I could contact him and ask him his opinion of it being done in a Baptist church.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here is what else Trevin has to say in the link:

"Taizé is an ecumenical monastery. Because of the emphasis on reconciliation between humans, the gospel’s horizontal dimension (peace between people) is emphasized, almost to the exclusion of the gospel teaching about our reconciliation to God."

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo! :smilewinkgrin:

6. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask him whether a Baptist church's having a Taizé style service indicates that the Baptist church is "not Baptist" or "Baptist in name only".

That was your point after all.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Earth wind and fire posted

Well, its not just me, we have many on this thread that have the same concern, but since you asked...

I am posting on this thread as a long time, card carrying Baptist Christian. I could have been a Nazerene. a Camblellite, Church of Christ, Assemblies of God, etc etc,,,but God, after giving me new life, drew me to a baptist church. And I have been a very content Baptist ever since

I enjoy visiting other churches, and do that from time to time, but my home is my Baptist church. And the main thing that I like as a baptist is the rock solid conviction regarding the tenacity with which turn to the scriptures for our practice, worship and guidance in our lives.

But it just grieves me to see Baptists who seem to be unable understand that OTHERS in other groups love and study the scriptures just as muc has we do, They heed the scriptures just as much as we do...but they come to differant conclusions. Not heretical conclusions...just different conclusions.

But we sometimes assume they are heretical, just because they are different.

That ought not be.

If our faith is in Christ, and their faith is in Christ, then we are brothers and sisters, and we should act like it toward each other.

And I am not preaching..I blow it sometimes. I can do better.

I hope that helps.

#167 Alive in Christ, Oct 25, 2012
  8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Didn't you state that you were Catholic at one time in your Christian development? Note that I am not knocking Catholics...I was raised as one & maintained my identity for 32 year's.

9. Alive in Christ

EWF...

Yes, I was born and raised Catholic.

8 years of catholic school

Altar boy

CCD classes

etc etc

But I was never born again. All that religous stuff meant nothing to me.I did all of that stuff just because it was expected of me.

As soon as I could I jumped into the Hippie lifestyle. Many years later God got my attention, and the rest is history! :thumbs:

#169 Alive in Christ, Oct 25, 2012
  10. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well, again, we'd have to see what their statement of faith is. Wait - we can't because they don't have it on their website.

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I understand....my background is similar. all Im saying is Catholics have different worldviews than other faiths. Here as Baptists & Born Agains, we have a very clear path in our understanding of Christ & what he demands of us. I feel anyway, that its kinda like walking the balancing beam as a gymnist. We have to go through the narrow focused path to be obedient with little time for stuff that God already attends to. Look I am a doctrine of Grace believer & Im only 3 years Saved so I always find ways to practice discipleship. for example Im reading (albeit slowly)the book, Marrow of Modern Divinity & Im reading 50 Reasons Why Christ Came to Die---so those are my own personal commitments & exersizes to understanding Christ & my walk with Him. I am also taking an unusual path to Church by attending a Lutheran Church for Fellowship--I'm finding many do not have any understanding of Christ in there although they are I'm sure good people. Maybe God is leading me there as a mission field (who knows). This Saturday they are having a "Reformation Festival" I plan to attend....not that I particularly care about celebrating Reformation...but I want to understand what drives them so I can correct them later on.

I would go to a Dog Baptism function if I could later correct them. But they dont need it...they are already one with the Creator.

Brother, nobody is telling you in this thread that they do not love their pets & animals in general & Im certain that many of us might even pray for them....but the focus is on Christ & doing Christs work.....that in part differentiates us as Baptists from the rest. We have Regenerated Natures that have callings to get our fellow human beings into heaven while we try to mold ourselves into the image of our Savior. So when you read my earlier posting this morning with the litany of religious traditions that I had as a Roman Catholic, please note that they fade away when Im presented with an opportunity to share the gospel with a neighbor. That gets me exited!

Now my three dogs also get some of my personal blessings probably every day by me but I know that God has already blessed them & Im confident they even know that! It is the humans, the sinners, the lost that we need to get busy with & help so that they could enjoy heaven...or else there going to hell. Both you & I know thats why Christs last great commandment to us...IE the Great Commission was told to us. Thats your charge Christian....so get busy Brother.

PS: & I emphasize this to my wife who is big in animal safety & rescue.....the more born Christians there are in the world the less animal cruelty there will be.

Blessings to you & your Jack Russell! :godisgood:

#171 Earth Wind and Fire, Oct 25, 2012
  12. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Careful now; you're opening yourself to charges of heresy, apostasy, and not being Baptist.

13. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Weren't you one of those in another thread saying it wasn't necessary for a Baptist church to have "Baptist" in its name? If so, you do see the irony and contradiction in that and what you post here, do you not?

14. Alive in Christ

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Nope. A name means nothing today. It is the beliefs to prove it but this church seems to be hiding them. Why?

16. Alive in Christ

Annsni

It seemes to me that you are sort of making a "golden calf" out of the "what we believe" information on the website.

I know of several churches in the area where I live that dont even have a website. How do you find out what they believe?

Sit down with the pastor for an hour or so and ask him!

Maybe that's why the Church in question doesnt put their beliefs on a website?

They prefer haveing a friendly talk with coffee? :)

#176 Alive in Christ, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  17. Alive in Christ

Earth Wind and Fire...

I enjoyed reading your post very much, brother. May God be strong in you during your journey.

I dont know much about the Lutheran Church, other than that they lean in the "liberal" direction. It goes with out saying that in spite of that there may be many born again brothers and sisters there. Whether they are as fruitfull as they could be, that is a differnet story.

On the other hand, we are all flawed to some degree...

God bless you in your journey,. and God bless your wife for her animal rescues!

18. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

There are differences in the various Lutheran bodies -- the ELCA is liberal, but the LCMS is conservative, some might even say fundamentalist. I'm not sure which Lutheran denominational church that EWF has been attending.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Its
    It's called WELS- Wisconsin Evangelical. LUTHERAN. and they are very conservative.

20. Michael Wrenn

Michael Wrenn New Member

Oh, yes, I remember now that you had mentioned that previously.