1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blessings from Independent Baptists

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by John of Japan, May 26, 2011.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

3. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, Rhet.

As you may know, The Sword of the Lord is by my brother, and I reviewed it some weeks ago right here. Trevin has written a thoughtful and balanced review, and I appreciate that.

I've known Trevin's grandfather for many years. In fact, he's the printer who printed up my first prayer card when I began deputation for Japan some 33 1/2 years ago. I think he did the revised one too, after I got married.

4. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A week and a half ago I heard from my old friend Koichi "Joe" Mita that he was bringing his family up to Hokkaido on a vacation, and he wanted to attend our church. Of course I immediately invited him to preach. If this brother walked in my church on Sunday morning unannounced, I'd have him preach if I could. He is a man of integrity who walks with God.

I first met Joe about 38 years ago when we were both students at Tennessee Temple. There were three other Japanese men at Temple at the time, and with Joe they all turned out to be wonderful missionary pastors. One is in Heaven, another is way down south and I'm out of touch, but I keep close contact with Joe and "Nobby." Anyone you can be friends with for 38 years is a "friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

Joe pastors a church near Tokyo and heads up the Bible institute where I still teach by video. Right now a student there is taking my course on personal evangelism, and my two semesters of Synoptics is always a favorite. I'm privileged to work under Joe in this ministry.

It was great to see the family again, Joe, Noney and their lovely and smart daughter Elisa, currently working on a master's in the States on Christian counseling. Saturday evening we took them out to our favorite steak house, and had a wonderful time of fellowship. Then on Sunday Joe preached a wonderful message on the inspiration of Scripture, then the family ate a potluch dinner with my church folk.

They live a long way off, so we don't see them much, but I look forward to eternal fellowship in Heaven someday with this faithful family.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just got my copy of it on Nook this afternoon. Looking forward to reading it.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    JoJ, thanks for the update on the Mitas. As you know, our church supports them and they are beloved to our whole congregation. I am glad to hear his daughter is doing well, also.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'll really enjoy the read. It's gripping.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They're all doing great. Elisa gave a great testimony in our SS class, which was a blessing to Miss Shimobo, who will be baptized in July, God willing.

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I've accomplished my purpose with this thread, but I would like to add one more post.

Over here we don't really celebrate July 4. Kind of hard to, what with no one around us celebrating. But that week we had a picnic with most of the other IFB missionaries on the island of Hokkaido. There are ten families on the island, and six were there that day--others were busy, with one couple on furlough. We had hot dogs and deer burgers. (One of the believers in the Nayoro church is a hunter.)

What a huge blessing it was to fellowship with these folk, as it always is. There was never a cross word, and Christ was glorified. Adults played and fellowshipped with children, we men discussed the ministry. All the women were modest and decent, the children were respectful and well behaved. And a good time was had by all.

I'm honored and very thankful to God to have the privilege of being an IFB missionary here.