1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blessings/Grace

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by bruren777, Jul 6, 2005.

1. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

My wife read in the paper that it's proper to ask blessings before a meal and grace after. Has anyone heard of this and is there scripture regarding this ?
    I looked in the condcordance and didn't find anything. [​IMG] [​IMG]

We've always said grace before a meal and if the meal was extraordinarly good we thanked the one who cooked the meal. [​IMG]

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Hm, never heard of that one

3. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Dear Abby said that was her heritage as a jew to pray that way in her column on saying grace.

4. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

I'd say it is NEVER wrong or unscriptural to give thanks to God....don't think we can ever do that enough.

Greg Sr.

5. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

6. bruren777

bruren777 New Member

:confused:
    I forgot(I've been doing that a lot lately,must have something to do with age) to add this, when I say grace before a meal, I always give thanks for the meal, then ask for blessings. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ChristianBigDog

ChristianBigDog New Member

It would seem to me that the term "say grace" has become a generic for "blessing". Much like the phrase "How are you?" We blurt that out and don't really want to know. When we should have said "hello" or "good morning" or something else.

To say a blessing or more to the point "ask" for a blessing over food would be an appropriate act of worship. A friend of mine once told me that he asks a blessing over his food, to remove any bad wishes or "curses" that someone may have said to hurt him.

I have taught my boys to ask for God to bless their food and to use it to nurish their bodies so that the can do His will, and to thank Him for providing for them. But I, just like alot of Christinans, still tell them to "say your grace".