1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blind or Deaf?

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by HOHNancy, Apr 1, 2005.

?
  1. Blind

60.0%
  2. Deaf

40.0%
  3. Neither

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HOHNancy

HOHNancy New Member

Which do you rather be? Deaf or blind? or neither one of them?

I would rather be deaf than blind if I had a choice. I have been deaf most of my life so I am used to it...The "pros" of being deaf/HOH is that I do enjoy music even though I didn't understand a lot of the words, I enjoy movies when they are closed captioned, I enjoy seeing the beauty of the world even though I cannot hear well. I enjoy a lot of other things too. [​IMG] One of the "cons" is that sometimes I feel isolated in a group of hearing people chatting because I cannot understand what they said so I have to ask them what it was about...some people are very good in helping me in this area which I am glad. [​IMG] Others just get impatient sometimes.

I personally knew a couple of blind people at work years ago...they were proofreaders in a Braille company (I was a data entry operator there). Blind people do get married (there was a married blind couple there), have kids, etc. Most blind people do have some to little light reception, but only a very few are totally blind....just like the deaf...very few are totally deaf (100%).
    My great-grandmother was blind from glaucoma, but she used to listen to books on tape, she finds her way through her trailer by herself, she used her thumb in a cup to let her know when to stop filling up her drink, and I was told that she sewed some without sight, etc.
    My deaf high school teacher told me once that he had a student that is visually-impaired and this student DRIVES!! It depends on how much the person can see to drive safely.
    So what I am saying here....there are some pros and cons in being blind, not just those pros and cons for being deaf. [​IMG]

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I cant participate in polls but I would like to answer. I would rather be deaf, I think. I am a musician and would be devastated to lose that sense, but I would rather be able to watch my kids grow up and see my grandkids. I used to be an interpreter for the deaf when I lived in ALabama, so I know I could survive. I love deaf folks.

3. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I picked neither. Why be blind or deaf if I don't have to be.

If I had to be one, I would pick deaf. That way I would still be able to drive and generally care for myslef without much, if any, outside assistance.

My best friend is blind and has difficulty doing many things. He lives in College Station, near A&M, because they have a city-wide, free transportation system that he can use. We go to the movies when he is in town, but he can make out nothing more than fuzzy shapes and deep colors. He can not drive and he can not see in the dark.

I took him on the back street of my neighborhood when it was first being developed (no traffic) and let him drive. It was mostly straight, and I helped him steer a bit, but I could tell that it was a real thrill for him. It is something he was never able to do before and probably will never be able to do again. It's amazing that something so mundane to us can be such a thrill to someone who can't normally do it.

TaterTot, why can't you do the polls?

4. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

I am deaf. I voted 'deaf'. Because, I am aware that people who are deaf and blind having difficult times in their lifetime. And they have limited to do anything. They seem having much of fraustrate.

But, I would like you read the biography of Hellen Keller. She was blind and deaf. At her girlhood life. She has a hell times in her early life. She was so wild and lost control. Her parent were not able to handle her. So, her parent sent a teacher came to their house to train Helen. Helen's teacher named Annie Sullivan. She taught Helen lot of things. She was so fraustrate with Helen through hard times, while Hele was out of control. But Annie refused give up on Helen. Annie kept on trying to teach Helen to learn the words of the things by feeling and spelling or words with sign language. Somehow, Helen finally learned the very first word of sign "water" by feeling water pouring down from the water pumping outside. Funny, my mother tried to teach me to learn new things with sign. She showed me the cup of water, she taught me the sign of 'water'. I started learned the first sign or word for 'water'. Mother immediated ran and took picture of me. My mother is hearing, and also she adopted me. She still love me so much, no matter if I am deaf, blind, or cripple. She love all people, races.

You can find plenty informations of Helen Keller's biography on the internet.

I rather to be deaf than being to be blind and deaf. But, I can't imagine how Helen was having happy life and be thankful to God that she is blind and deaf throughout her life. I think she is a born again Christian.

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

5. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

My grandfather was Blind and Deaf, although not from birth. He got a tropical disease in WW2 on the Kokoda trail, he was taken to a military hospital which was bombed by the Japanese the results of the bombing sent him blind. Yet he could still talk well and was quite a skilled carpenter.

6. WallyGator

WallyGator New Member

Yes, TaterTot, America and the colonies and all the ships at sea, would like to know!

7. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I think it has to do with her being a "tater" ...taters are not allowed poll priviledge [​IMG]

8. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well I'm at a loss. TaterTot, why can you not participate in polls?

9. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Deaf-blindness runs in my family. My grandfather who passed away recently was deaf with Retina Pigment (RP) and I am the first to be labeled Ushers Syndrome Type III (US 3. Retina pigment is the same as Usher's syndrome and the label given is determined by whether the person is deaf or hearing. Retina Pigment is for those born hearing. Some Deaf will give the Retina Pigment Label to someone born hearing and later deafened while some prefer to call this Usher's Type II. In my case, born hard-of-hearing and later deafened profoundly, the label is Usher's Type III. The man I spoke with about this was surprised how late this blindness comes in with my family. I am 39, but have had problems with night vision since the age of 15 and am lower field blind now.
    Down in Louisiana, there are more Deaf-blind per capita than anywhere else in the world. Cajun deaf are often afflicted with Ushers Syndrome as a result of cousins marrying cousins. This was made illegal with the passage of laws in the early 1950's.
    tim

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Alas!! Hearken unto the faithful words of Tater...

Last year we got a virus, and ever since we took the CPU to get "cleaned out" I have not been able to do polls and open certain types of link. Something to do with Javascript () . I may be amazing and all, but I sho dont know how to fix that problem. So there!

11. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

ut oh the dreaded tater virus..... will do it to ya every time [​IMG]

12. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

yeah I got one I cant figure out.... even though the box is checked.. i cannot search from my address bar. used to be able to .. but not now.

13. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Neither, although I am going blind. My dad and grandfather both went deaf before they died, so I may end up being both.

14. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

But if I had to chose, I think deaf. But I'd rather not.

15. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Deaf, of course. Are you crazy? What kind of a question is that? [​IMG] Heh heh . . .

Got to be able to see in order to write. My eyes are very, very, very important to me. Yup.

And I can think of a lot of reasons it might be kind of nice to be deaf. [​IMG]

16. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

When I began college I was a Deaf Education major and learned sign language and about deafness. After that, I can say I would much rather lose my hearing than my sight. I LOVE music but I love seeing nature around me just as much. I am thankful that God has allowed me not only great hearing but great eyesite as well.

17. flourgirl

flourgirl New Member

I would have to say deaf.... I enjoy the beauty of the outdoors... animals...and yes my favorite TV shows!!!! I have taken 2 semesters of signing, and wish that I knew more, maybe one day I can take another class.

18. Kayla

Kayla New Member

was blind but, now I see...

Lol...

I said deaf because I am deaf, only partically though. When I was 18 months old I fell off of, our deck behind our house, the deck was at least 12 feet off the ground, and smacked my head on concrete it is amazing I'm still alive let alone having all my hearing. You get used to it after a while, like my friend who is completely deaf says I would rather be like myself and be deaf completely from birth than to have my hearing then lose it. The doctor says eventually I will lose complete hearing in my right ear, right now I only have about 25 to 40 percent hearing.