1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blogging Our Furlough

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by John of Japan, Aug 5, 2011.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We missionaries were instructed to arrive early for the banquet on Friday. There was something they had for us to do! So we arrived to find the school gym all decked out like a five star restaurant, complete with temporary chandeliers. Wow! Five hundred people, almost half of the church attendance, chose to go to the banquet.

The missionaries were served early. We had steak, folks, at a missions conference banquet, which was a first. And it was delicious, as was the rest of the meal. We were served by some of the teens, but the only ones allowed to serve were those who were planning to go on the missions trip the teen group had planned!

After we had finished and while the church folk had their meal, we missionaries were led to a back room to practice. Practice what, you say? I'll tell you in a minute. The next activity had the goal of letting the church people see us missionaries as normal people, and I'd say it succeeded.

For the second time the GIC put on a game show! While the church people had their desserts we missionaries were up on stage participating in "Minute to Win It!" (Patty and another older missionary lady got a rest because two of the missionary kid teens wanted to participate.) There were events for: tissue box emptying, paper towel roll stacking, cookie eating (forehead to mouth without touching) and other difficult tasks. My task was to compete in "Ninja Cards" with Randy Stirewalt, an incredible veteran missionary from Kenya who God is using in a mighty way. He immediately objected jokingly that it wasn't fair to compete in "Ninja Cards" with a missionary from Japan. Our task was to throw a card at a half watermelon and make it stick. Sure enough, the Japanese ninja suceeded. (You can see me for about a second on the Youtube video).

Yes, missionaries are normal people, so keep us off those pedastals, please. We're not superheroes, not even heroes. We simply obey God's command to go to a different country and give the Gospel, just like you may be led or called by God to do something different--and you obey!

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Saturday at the GIC was uneventful until the evening, when the youth group had their banquet. And it was a lovely banquet, very well put together. Once again, the goal was for the church people to get to know the missionaries--real live missionaries, us!

The theme was France, and the youth group's meeting room was well decorated accordingly with scenes of France. The main dish was a delicious chicken cordon bleu. We missionaries ate first, as before, so that we could interact with the young people as they ate.

Their meal was a progressive dinner. We missionaries stayed put, and the young people moved from table to table, eating one course at each table. So some started with the main course, but others started with the dessert (an excellent cheese cake). In the meantime, various questions were flashed onto a screen to get the young people started.

All in all the meal was a great success. We had wonderful fellowship with the young people, and they asked some great questions. (Of course, there was the usual young couple that flirted, ignoring the missionaries. But that is to be expected at that age, I'm sure.) God willing, some of those young people will be missionaries some day! It is my hope that we missionaries helped get them aimed right.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday morning at the GIC was more like a typical missionary conference. I spoke to the pastor's Sunday School class in the auditorium. I gave them my "five minute Japanese lesson" and then had them guess about the function of some items I had brought that are only available in Japan, including a carp wind sock which celebrates boys on "Kids' Day" (carp swim against the current), a colored magnet for the back of a car to show the driver has only had their license for a year, etc. After giving them this cross-cultural experience, I spoke to them about cross-cultural evangelism, and it was well received.

For the church service I went to the 4-5 year old crumb grabbers with my skunk puppet Stinky. As usual they loved the puppet and talked about it afterwards. I then talked to the kids about how all the animals of the Bible obey Jesus, except for the snake. This is always fun, and kids love it especially when I imitate the animals.

The evening service loomed large. We had been told that "You haven't seen nothing yet." We had no idea what they had planned, and no one would tell us. We even visited some friends on Saturday who used to go to the church and knew the secret, but even they would not spill the beans. All we could do was wait....

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Sounds like a great time, as well as a learning time for all.

5. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Sounds like a great conference and I am glad that you were chosen to participate. I have many memories of Dr. Coleman from the TTU days when he and Dr. Box would come and preach Bible conferences and tell jokes about how poor they were growing up- :laugh:.

6. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was all of that. :thumbs: Tomorrow I can write about the final day.

I did forget about the luncheon on Saturday with the senior saints of the church. It was a great time to fellowship with the older people of the church, and we had a great time with them. Several of the missionaries gave testimonies and that was a blessing.

7. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks brother!

We sure heard some great preachers, including those men, in our day at TTU didn't we? :thumbs:

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My, it's already Thursday, and I had planned to write about the last service of the GIC several days ago. Anyway, here it is.

Sunday evening was not much different than the typical closing day of the average missions conference. The missionary statesman preached a wonderful message, and then at the end an offering was taken. This is a common practice at missionary conferences, but churches that practice faith promise will do their faith promise pledges at that time.

The GIC offering was to meet the needs of various projects that the church was involved in. We missionaries stood at the front with offering plates while the believers came up with envelopes containing checks or cash and put them in the offering plates. As I recall, the final total was over $54,000, more than twice what the target amount was. Praise the Lord!

Then things got radical. We missionaries were instructed to stay at the front of the auditorium, at which time the lights went out! A squad of men came down the aisle with flashlights while Mission Impossible music played on the loudspeakers and radio sounds also played with, "The package is being secured...." The men then led all of the missionaries into the choir room, at which time the little MKs were brought from the nursery to their families. And the doors were locked.

We were prisoners for about 15 minutes. We kidded with our "Goon Squad" and waited. And waited and wondered. And wondered. Finally the word came over the walkie talkie, and we were led out of the room and into the alley between the auditorium and the gymnasium. And wonder of wonder, it was winter there--and snow was falling in Texas!

The fake "snow" was actually soap bubbles, but it sure looked real at first. Across the alley was a beautiful Christmas tree and carolers singing to us. We were led into the gymnasium, then out from behind a curtain to a wondrous sight! There were six Christmas trees in a circle with another huge one in the center, which had a large O scale (I believe) model train going around it. All of the church people who had been able to stay were seated in chairs all around the walls of the gym.

The children were invited to open a huge package, out of which came a Santa Claus! We were then led to our Christmas trees, one for each missionary family. As the carols played over the loud speaker system, church families one by one came to the missionary families with gifts for each member! Then we all fellowshipped as we had cookies and coffee.

What a conference that was! It was unique, it was innovative, but most of all it was effective. I was told that since the church started doing this five years ago, the missionary giving has tripled! People in the church who never did anything for the Lord have gotten involved in the GIC. And the church is blessed.

Once again, the video of the GIC is at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D7FtPvcMoE. You can see me in a sports jacket accepting a gift from one lady.

Here is one about honoring the missionary wives, with Patty in the red blouse 2nd from right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0WA2LjwCK0

See how the Christmas surprise was done it at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8i3QZkhzDs&list=UUU-iKE_UaVzeOwEf1dIhXdQ&index=2&feature=plcp

9. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here are some random observations about America as we have seen it so far this furlough.

There are many new restaurant chains. And the eateries seem to be full all the time. So where is the recession?

Buildings in the US sure look quite new compared to most places I've been. Unless of course you are in an old town. So where is the recession?

Speaking of old towns, many of those out West are dying. The farms are being bought up by the big corporations since the kids won't take them over. One town was said to be 40% over 80!

Baseball card shops have become real hard to find. Shucks!

Many denominations and independents are church planting. We've seen store front churches all over!

Texans are still Texans. You have to take off your hat when you enter the Alamo because it is their "shrine!" But not when touring the "Texas" battleship. I wonder why?

You hear more foreign accents than ever: Indians in motels, Hispanics in fast food places, everybody in convenience stores!

On the radio you can hear Christian programs, country music and talk radio (especially Limbaugh!) everywhere, but hardly any rap stations (thank God!) and not enough oldies stations.

Churches are changing one by one. The biggest change is in the music. We've been in four supporting churches that used to be traditional but are now blended or CCM, with one being rock all the way!

My generation of pastors is yielding to younger men all over the country. We've been in three with brand new young pastors in the past month.

Last furlough we said America had gone to materialism. Now we believe it has gone downhill further into plain hedonism. The headlong pursuit of pleasure is everywhere in American life. For crying out loud, TV show news is now sometimes on the front page!

Finally, there are still good Christians everywhere, as witness the Tebow phenomenon. Last night I arrived at the house just in time to talk to an old black man, a former preacher, and we had a wonderful spiritual talk about prayer and revival and God's work.

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are currently in Wake Forest, NC, where we will be with our son for Easter. We just finished a three month swing through FL, TX, CO, KS, MO, IL and MI, so I just thought I'd share with you a typical journey.

We travelled this week from MI to our home base in SC (where we've hardly been so far). We took two days for a total of almost 800 miles. Many years ago we might have travelled 12 hours in a day, but not we try to keep it down to just 8, occasionally 10 (only when we have to!). It's nice to stop at a nice (but cheap) motel after driving all day, and kick back and relax.

Travel hint: at the welcome center rest areas as you enter a state, you can get booklets full of motel discount tickets. They don't always work with the independent places, though, so make sure you get a chain motel.

The first day I drove all the way since Patty had a migraine. Ouch! I don't mind so much as long as I have cruise control to help out the old knees. We stopped for lunch at a TA truck stop (we also like Pilot), where we bought hot dogs and chips, which we ate in the car. If you're ever in TX, stop at a Buc-ee's. Great fun!

Truck stops are great when you travel a lot. We only stop at rest stops when we have to, since a lot of shennanigans take place there. Truck stops are safer and more fun. They have videos and books for sale, and sometimes other neat things. Nowadays they may have up to 3 restaurants in one truck stop, including a sit down place.

The rest of the day was uneventful. We stopped at a nice motel, then had supper at a Cracker Barrel. Those are great because the food is down home cooking with decent portions (but not "doggy bag" huge). I had the hickory smoked ham with fried okra and pinto beans. Yummy! That fried okra is only at CB among the major restaurant chains. We had their seasonal "Crustless Coconut Cream Pie" for dessert. Delicious! CB also has that nice gift shop. They have also put out some great country gospel CDs under their logo.

As we traveled the next day, that's what we listened to--country gospel. We also listen to oldies when we can find a good station on the radio. We also listen to talk radio. Early on we tried audio books (can't get into them) and even studied Cantonese CDs (too hard for traveling).

In Knoxville we got off the Interstate to see if we could find Crown College since it was supposed to be at that exit. Couldn't find it, had to move on. On that trip we also drove by the gates of Furman U., but didn't stop to see it. Sometimes we do take the time to stop and see the sights, depending on our schedule.

Heading over the mountains into NC was hairy that second day. It's hard enough in good weather, but it was raining terribly, with occasional fog. Crossing one river we slowed to 30 mph on the Interstate! For such times, we pray at the beginning of every day of travel for safety, protection, and for the car to run well.

At lunch time we stopped at another truck stop which had a Subway Sandwich place. Delicious! The rest of the trip was uneventful, and we arrived at our furlough home in time to get a good rest, work all the next day, then head up here to see our son at Easter.

And there you have it. A typical furlough two day trip. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it as my uncle once said.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant to mention the interesting place names we saw in NC: Hog Bark Mountain and French Broad River. :type:

12. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    MAKE NEW FRIENDS, BUT KEEP THE OLD

I've been meaning to share about the great time I had in Florida some weeks ago. I preached for my college roommate of 40 years ago, Pastor Byron H.. It was so great to see him and his wife Beverly again and see how the church is doing. Byron and I worked together for four years at Cumberland Corporation in Chattanooga, TN, while we were going to college. He worked various jobs on the assembly line and I was a fork lift driver and then a welder.

After work sometimes at 11:30 PM we'd go to Krispy Kreme, buy a dozen straight off the line and split them. On Wednesday mornings we'd head for the Tennessee Temple dining hall to snag the best table for breakfast, where Debbie was the best waitress to keep us supplied with Krispy Kreme! Somehow Byron and I got through Bible college on our Cumberland Corporation salaries and all the Krispy Kremes we could get.

We did a lot else together, in particularly spelunking (caving). Our best memory is from the time we went down into Case Caverns in Georgia, but there were several others worth remembering. I remember one small cave in particular where we watched the drip, drip, drip as stalactites formed (those are the ones on the ceiling).

After college Byron and Beverly spent some time down in Mexico as missionaries, only to be stabbed in the back by the head of their very small mission board. After that they moved to Florida where Byron became the assistant to his pastor father, eventually taking over the church. A few years ago their church burned down. Only one place in the whole church did not burn--a little table at the front with a big Bible on it!

I thank God for such friends. I have so far seen six of my old college friends. And all of them are still following and serving the Lord! God willing I'll get to see at least two more before furlough is over. Remember the old song? "Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other gold."

#92 John of Japan, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2012
  13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a sweet story about a little girl we met on a previous furlough:

LAUREN’S STORY

The story of a gift of $1.70 from little Lauren (about 10 years old) is especially sweet. We were at Grace Baptist in ----- on June 10, a Wednesday evening. Paul was next door watching the NBA finals with some other teens and Patty was in the missionary closet, so that left me all alone (sigh!) at our display table. Just before I put it away, Lauren came up and gave me this offering in a church envelope. Then, when I started to put away the display Lauren came up again and asked if she could help. I let her, of course, and kidded around with her a little.

Shortly after that Patty and I left for the home we were staying in. Since it was way out in the country Patty rode with the wife and the husband rode with me. The man then shared with me Lauren’s story.

Just the week before her Daddy, a good Christian and a member of Grace Baptist, had gone on to Heaven. He was a fireman about 36 years old, and had quietly died in his sleep (cause unknown) while at the station on a 24-hour shift. The funeral was on 6-6-98, the previous Friday, and was probably the largest in the history of the church because of his popularity among the fire and policemen.

What a blessing it was that little Lauren, in spite of the loss of her Daddy, that which was most precious to her on earth, she was willing to give to God’s work and serve the Lord cheerfully. What a blessing that little girl was!

14. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Ay, John! Lauren's story moved me to tears and brought back some good memories of the special offerings that we received from some wee ones.

One in particular that I remember is a dollar coin that a little boy gave me. His mother told me that he won that coin for saying Bible memory verses in Sunday School and he wanted to give it to a missionary. I carried that coin around with me for a long time until I finally had to use it to buy gas. I'm praying God might allow me to return to the mission field someday. My heart is still there.

May God continue to refresh and use you as furlough continues.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

John, I'm with Mexdeaf, Lauren's story was a heart warmer.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks men. Children can do so much more for the Lord than we think.

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me share with you about two more special friends from college days. First of all, after we left my college roommate's church, we visited Pastor Mike, also pastoring down in Florida. Mike and I knew each other somewhat back in college through the martial arts. I was an assistant instructor in kung fu, and he was a student.

Once or twice he went out with our evangelistic team, Kung Fu for Christ, but Mike was not a standout. The thing about the martial arts, though, is that the ones who rise highest are not usually the athletes, but those who persevere, and Mike certainly was a plugger. He will tell you he is not talented and not a great martial artist, but he has done many evangelistic and other demonstrations, has a thriving school with four black sash instructors under him. He is a 6th black inheritor of another style and 5th in our style.

Mike pastors a wonderful church that supports us, and runs a summer day camp which is a pioneering pattern for other such ministries. It was such a pleasure to renew our friendship on our first furlough, and get to know and work with Mike once again. This time I taught a martial arts seminar for him and preached several times. What a privilege is was to serve Christ with such a great friend!

After leaving Mike's place we went to Texas, where we stayed with Warren, my Calvinist friend from college, my best friend in the world next to my wife. Warren is a faithful Christian policeman who witnesses for Christ, and supports missionaries financially and in other ways, such as shipping tracts to us. (Our first year in Japan he shipped me a very welcome box of root beer, something you can't get in Japan.)

Here's how we met. In 1972 I was a fresh green belt in karate, and was told that a kung fu green belt wanted to meet me down in the gym, where we could spar. Sounded okay. I met Warren, we shook hands and took up our fighting stances. The next thing I knew I was on the ground, out cold with pieces of wisdom teeth in my mouth. Warren had KOed me with a spin hook kick, one I'd never seen before. Well, we became fast friends after that. I wrote Mom and said, "I have a new friend. We met and he knocked me out." Mom wrote back, "Next time you knock him out!"

This trip as always we had a wonderful time. We went out to eat Texas barbecue, we worked out, we visited the "Texas" battleship, we talked about the Lord and serving Him. He taught me some new techniques, since he is my sihing, elder brother in kung fu. But he didn't beat me up this time!

18. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    great stories, brother. I am so glad to know he didn't knock you out
    this time. :thumbs:

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not that he couldn't still do it! [​IMG]

20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I've done anything well in my life, it is making friends. Last Friday and Saturday was the TCBA (Temple Chinese Boxing Association) Assembly. This organization was founded during our 1993 furlough with the two men in post#97, Warren and Mike, as co-founders with me. The "Temple" represents Tennessee Temple College where we learned our Chinese martial art in the 1970's, plus the body as the temple of the Holy Spirit. The term "Chinese Boxing" refers to kung fu (the Hong Kong term; also called ch'uan fa, or "fist art," and wu shu, or "martial art") as seen by a British expatriate in China around the turn of the 19th century. We use this term to indicate the genuine article as opposed to the fake stuff in the movies and elsewhere.

At the TCBA Assembly last week were our old teacher Prof. James Cravens (www.chineseboxing.com; you can see a photo of the recent Delray Beach, FL, seminar there, with me in a yellow T), old friend Mike and most of his family, old friend Mark and his wife and daughter, old friend Jeff, and of course old friend Prof Jim, our teacher. (Unfortunately, Warren's wife had surgery so he couldn't come.) So there were five of us old kung fu friends from college up to 40 years ago! And another special thing is that the kung fu families of three of us participated.

The TCBA was not originally meant to be a martial arts style, only an association where we old hands could practice and teach the kung fu we learned in the '70's at college. However, one thing led to another and in 2002 I presented TCB to a major Christian martial arts organization to be certified as a Christian kung fu style. Jeff and Mark were there to assist and back me up, so TCB was certified as perhaps the first Christian kung fu style in history. Thus, the TCBA is the instructor's organization of Temple Chinese Boxing.

So what is a Christian martial arts style? It's one that emphasizes serving God with the martial arts, specifically evangelistic demonstrations and church martial arts ministries.

At our Assembly last week, I taught a monkey form from Shen Mou Hui, the "Gold Dragon" of Taiwan, and ch'uan fa (Japanese, kenpo) self defense techniques from China through Okinawa. Prof. Cravens taught the "13 Form" of Chen Tai Chi Chuan. Two young instructors passed their tests to become 2nd level instructors (2nd degree black belts) and another passed the 7th green test. We had a pizza party and ate Chinese buffet together. Oh yes, and the elders of the TCBA in cahoots with two good friends who head their own Christian martial arts styles promoted me to 8th degree black sash (black belt). And a good time was had by all.

#100 John of Japan, Jun 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2012