1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Blue Like Jazz

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by uhdum, Nov 11, 2005.

1. uhdum

uhdum New Member

Anyone read this book by Donald Miller?

If so, your thoughts?

2. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

My fiance loved it, but I havent read it.

May I have our thoughts if no one else posts here?

3. gekko

gekko New Member

i have only read the first chapter of the book off his webpage. it's amazingly well written and has some great stuff in there. i know a few people that have read the book, and they say it is super good. i hope to either borrow it or buy it soon. [​IMG]

4. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

5. chipsgirl

chipsgirl New Member

I so want to read this one. Some of the ladies in my Bible study highly reccomended it.

6. tenor

tenor New Member

I have it, but haven't had a chance to read it. Looks pretty good, though. I'm looking forward to reading it.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

What disturbs me about this book is the emphasis on feeling and not objective truth. This book is very much a part of the postmodern thinking permeating the church. If Christian faith cannot be explained or if its deepest aspects can only be felt, then the Bible must be considered insufficient since it is in words. Yet God chose words to convey his truth. Yes, we are saved in a way that is beyond our minds and understanding, but the truth of Christ is something that can be given in words. Just because there are some things that we cannot know or cannot express does not mean that we move from an objective to subjective basis for truth.

Here are 2 people (including one who like the book somewhat) who agree:

(These are comments by Rebecca Groothuis, hardly a far right conservative since she is an egalitarian -- women can hold positions of authority in the church:
    http://tinyurl.com/df5bp
    http://www.challies.com/archives/000995.php
    This kind of subjective, feeling-based, "truth is beyond words" kind of thinking (ha - that's ironic!) that we find in Miller, McLaren, Bell, and other pomos is exactly where I was in the New Age. This is, in fact, a hallmark of the New Age approach to reality.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Double post

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Triple post! ~~~