1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boasting

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jan 14, 2010.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Perhaps they are like you! It didn't fit their erroneous concept of the nature of GOD. It is the nature of man that he likes to have the final say, even regenerate man as the discussions on this Forum show. I would simply advise all those who believe as Skandelon apparently does to let GOD be GOD!

Quote from Scandelon at http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=63939

“I must say I'm getting a bit tired of hearing Calvinists claim that non-Calvinists can boast of our salvation because of the role we claim to play.” [My emphasis]

2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==We have been over this before and I don't plan on re-hasing this old debate with you. If you want to know how I will respond to your claim you can go back and reference our debate from a few weeks ago. I have no intention on going round and round with you on this issue again. At least not at this time.

3. OldRegular

Jesus Christ Himself gives the answer. :thumbs::thumbs:

John 6:60-69
    60. Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it?
    61. When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you?
    62. What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before?
    63. It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
    64. But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
    65. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.
    66. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

67. Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
    68. Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
    69. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

4. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

You know its interesting because the ONLY role we CLAIM to play is the role that scripture claims we play. I think its interesting how all I have to do is quote directly from the text to answer this charge and not one of you Calvinists have even attempted to address it: Let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth ; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD. -- Jeremiah 9:24

You can accuse me of boasting right along side Jeremiah, that "I understand and know the Lord." Why? Because HE made himself evident and only those who CHOOSE not to acknowledge what is clearly seen and made known to us will become defiled and given over to their lusts. That is scripture Old Regular whether you acknowledge it or not.

5. Skandelon

AMEN! Thanks for supporting my point. I knew you would come around. :thumbs:

6. OldRegular

Yes, but you refuse to give credit where credit is due; to GOD not Scandelon! But you are not alone. As I said earlier:

7. Skandelon

Sooooo untrue. I wrote a thread on this very accusation not long ago. Just because a gift is not irresistibly applied doesn't make the recipient any less grateful for getting it. I give credit to the same people the bible gives credit to. Paul said, "Abraham believe and it was credit to HIM as righteousness." Can you say that about anyone?

But, what does he have that he did not receive? Thus, I give God the credit for revealing to him the truth. Faith comes by hearing and God is the one who revealed the truth, thus he still gets the glory!

8. Skandelon

I just went back and found that discussion and realized that I never saw your final post. I replied to it here.

9. OldRegular

Perhaps they are like you! It didn't fit their erroneous concept of the nature of GOD. It is the nature of man that he likes to have the final say, even regenerate man as the discussions on this Forum show. I would simply advise all those who believe as Skandelon apparently does to let GOD be GOD!

Quote from Scandelon at http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=63939

“I must say I'm getting a bit tired of hearing Calvinists claim that non-Calvinists can boast of our salvation because of the role we claim to play.” [My Emphasis]

10. Winman

Winman Active Member

That was not my source. I got those quotes here, and you will see I did not misrepresent them.

http://www.examiningcalvinism.com/ArminianElection.html

If they misrepresented John MacArthur shame on them, but I would never resort to that. You would not know it to look at me today, but I was quite the athlete as a young man and played in several organized sports. My father was a successful coach who won two state championships in baseball (12-15 year olds). I was brought up to play fair and always did, in fact one year I received a trophy for sportsmanship. Yes, that is a brag, but it is the truth. I never needed to cheat to win and I don't need to do that now.

Perhaps I should be more careful and check the quotes I post, that's good advice for us all. But I would never intentionally misrepresent anyone.

11. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    pssst. I think Skandelon and Winman were bit by vampires.
    They can't seem to see themselves in the mirror.

12. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==It seems like you were mislead by people who did not do their homework. I linked to the sermon and, as you should be able to see, John MacArthur does not believe or teach what they claimed. We should always verify sources when possible.

==It happens to all of us. I've gotten stung more than a few times trusting secondary sources. One could say that I was warned but still had to learn the lesson the hard way. Since then I try to check sources when possible.

I am really glad this is straightened out.

13. Skandelon

We "claim to play" the same role that scripture says we must play: As Jesus said, "he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."

It doesn't say, "he that God humbles shall be exalted." If you think one can claim glory for humbling himself then your problem is with Jesus, not me.

14. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:

31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

15. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

16. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

No, I think he was "broken" enough to accept Christ. As we all should be.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well only God has the power to break you because you would not do it of your own accord.

18. Skandelon

Let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on earth ; for I delight in these things," declares the LORD. -- Jeremiah 9:24

19. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Amen. I have no boast but of the Lord. Soli Deo Gloria. :godisgood:

20. Skandelon

Scripture says, "he that humbleth himself shall be exalted," not "he that God humbles shall be exalted." The law and HS brings conviction to the world, so in that manner the Lord's chosen means do "break" or humble us, but not effectually so, as the passage says, one must "humble himself."