1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Barr's 2004 Statement on Same-Sex Marriage Licenses

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

[SIZE=+1]Statement regarding Massachusetts Same-Sex Marriage Licenses[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]Monday, May 17, 2004 at 9:00 AM[/SIZE] ​

In response to the activities surrounding the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses in Massachusetts, former U.S. Representative Bob Barr (GA), the author of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), issued the following statement:

"While I continue to oppose strongly same-sex marriages, I do not subscribe to the sentiments of those pushing a Federal Marriage Amendment that the issuance of same-sex marriage license in Massachusetts constitutes such a national crisis that amending our national Constitution to force all the states to adopt a specific definition of marriage, is the only or even the best way to address the issue. For one thing, the Defense of Marriage Act, which I authored, and which was adopted by an overwhelming majority of Democrat and Republican House and Senate Members and signed by President Clinton, provides protection for each state that the minority view represented by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts cannot be forced on any other state. The courts have not even addressed the constitutionality of DOMA, but I am confident that when they do, it will be found fully adequate to ensure that no one state can force any other state to adopt a definition of marriage its citizens reject.

"The Federal Marriage Amendment, which presupposes DOMA will be found unconstitutional, is premature at best."

Barr served in the U.S. House of Representatives from January 1995 to January 2003. He was a senior member of the Judiciary Committee. He now practices law, writes extensively, works with the American Conservative Union, and consults on privacy matters with the ACLU.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sounds like a good statement to me. :thumbs:

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I see that lawyer Barr consults with the ACLU on privacy matters. I find the "lawyer" and "ACLU" part of this troubling.

I don't have the confidence he has expressed regarding the Defense of Marriage Act standing up the ultimate Supreme Court ruling that will surely come some day. I wish it could be so such that we could leave the matter to the States.