1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones, BJU and George Bush

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by JohnB, Nov 20, 2004.

1. JohnB

JohnB New Member

I recently read BJIII's open letter to GB. Since BJU is considered by most to be the flagship of American fundamentalism, I am a bit confused.

Sure, Bush opposes abortion and homosexuality. But he is at best a liberal Methodist Christian who is very friendly and laudatory of other religions like Shintoism and Islam. He makes vaguely universalistic statements about how all worship God in their own way. And when asked if Jesus was the only way, he deflected the question rather than giving an outright answer. He attends church rarely, less than Carter and Clinton.

Why is BJIII eager to follow Bush's leadership? Where is the principle of seperation from compromise? If Bush was a minister, wouldn't he be denounced? Politicians don't get some free pass from God to be waffly about their profession of faith.

2. aefting

aefting New Member

BJIII was simply encouraging Bush to do right and not get sidetracked by appeasing the liberal left.

What is surprising to me was not the contents of the letter but the national recognition that the letter has received -- both the Wall Street Journal and Meet the Press have referred to it recently.

Andy

3. JohnB

JohnB New Member

I guess I am reading to much into it, especially the postscripts, but it seems more like a complete endorsement than mere encoiuragement.

In particular, this line:
    "Because you seek the Lord daily, we who know the Lord will follow that kind of voice eagerly."

Another is:
    "They despise you because they despise your Christ."

Yet in an interview on Good Morning America on Oct 26,2004, Pres Bush said that Muslims and Christians all go to heaven. Who is his Christ?

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

BJU only separates from those seen as "full-time Christian ministers or ministries."

In other words, if you are a Christian minister, singer, counselor, or educator within the evangelical mainstream, BJU will separate from you.

However, if you are a politician, secular artist, opera singer, etc. BJU will invite you in to perform for their students or give a speech, etc.

A non-believing world-class artist will get an invitation.

A believing world-class counselor/psychologist/radio personality who is labeled "new evangelical" will never be invited.

To keep the parallel: A believing world-class artist will never get an invitation if identified with those wicked New Evangelicals.

5. aefting

aefting New Member

What about Christopher Parkening?

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

And Cal Thomas, Larry Burkett, Ken Ham, as well as others.

I think Paul is not quite putting it clearly. I think the issue has to do with the purpose of coming to the school. If BJU is bringing you there for theological purposes, the standards are different, and rightly so. Ecclesiastical issues are quite different than social, political, or cultural ones. And a world-class counselor/psychologist/radio personality has nothing to say to believers, unless they are strictly biblical. For that reason, I would assume they would not be invited: none fit that category.

Ken Ham is the anomaly. I think all of us are inconsistent in some areas ... well, all of you anyway. :D ... I certainly wouldn't be as broad as BJU is, but writing a letter to the president hardly seems worthy of complaint.

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Larry,

I agree with your assessment. [​IMG] Thanks for saying it better than I did.