1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones University Admits Racist Past; Repents

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by swaimj, Nov 21, 2008.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, clearly I stated that until their actions show that they have not changed their ways, I will hold to the belief that they were sincere in their repentance.

I was discussing the fact that some felt like BJU was giving into political pressure in penning the apology and the if what is being called racism is actually racism. I don't recall anyone questioning the sincerity of BJU's apology. Did I miss something?

Yes, I think in this case because the conditions for racism to operate were institutionalized as it were, there needed to be an institutional apology. BJU can't speak for individuals who still may harbor racist views but they can apologize for things that the school participated in, which they did. I guess you could liken it to the times when Israel, as a nation, repented for their sins.