1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones University

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Pastor Shaun, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I've downloaded Don Carson's lectures in the past. I agree that it's a great resource.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree completely. You've said it well. I've had my own hurts from Fundmentalists, but I've known many wonderful people in Fundamentalism, as you have. Concerning the compassion I think Fundamentalists as a whole still emphasize giving the Gospel more than any other group, and that is an act of compassion.

3. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Glad to be a blessing. :type:

4. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Right, Paid.

Just like you and I will give an account to God someday for all of our actions. Why is pointing that out and reminding them that they too must answer to God a mark of negative intense feelings?

BJU and their cohorts (along with many who are not) have a difficult time saying, "I'm sorry. I was wrong. Please forgive me."

That is their blind spot. It is also why fundamentalism has the reputation it has.

I put in my previous post that I'm not bitter. The reason I did that is because any critique of BJU - no matter how valid, fair, and balanced -is met with the bitterness response. Or in your case, negative intense feelings that render anything that person says biased.

Well, walk in my shoes, see the hypocrisy, attempt to share your concerns biblically, and see how BJU responds. They are never, ever wrong.

I'm sure you are a very good person too. :godisgood:

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    While the school's standards remain as high (Your Mileage May Vary on this statement) to day as they have ever been, BJU under Steven Jones is not your great-grandfather's, grandfather's or even your father's BJ.

Not to recognize the shift is to insist on refighting yesterday's battles as if they were today's. That has been Fundamentalism's problem for the last forty or so years.

6. PreachTREE

PreachTREE New Member

Agreed. Many Fundamentalists don't even go as far as admitting that.

7. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But we also must recognize many of the battles of the past were worth fighting.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

That is pretty good insight, Squire.

I have seen a new tone under Steven. :)

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As conditions change on campus, I'm interested in seeing when veterans will be able to use their GI Bill at BJ. If WW2 can be used as a guide, there is a pool of men who will be looking for a good school.

10. learner

learner New Member

Interesting you should mention this: have you guys seen the new website asking BJU TO apologize? Thoughts?

www.please-reconcile.org

11. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Apologize for the racial discrimination thing?

Is that what people are so worried about?

The fact that Bob Jones University recently had a gay singer perform for a vesper doesn't bother you, or several other problems with the school?

I attended Bob Jones University, but thankfully the Lord got me out of there.

The school is going to be the next Furman University unless it repents.

12. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I am not huge backer of BJU, but I have would need some type of proof to accept this statement.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly right! This sounds extremely doubtful to me. I'd call it another Internet rumor, but I can't find it anywhere on the Internet except Spoudazo's post here on the BB! Google--BJU vespers "gay singer"--and the only hit you get, yes the only hit is Spoudazo's post!! :laugh:

#33 John of Japan, Jun 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2008
  14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll not comment on the other controversial things you said. However, if the Lord got you "out of there", do you think He may also keep others there?

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm glad BJU had someone sing who is happy.
    Now if you are talking about a homosexual, why did you not say so.
    Obviously you have fallen victim to L.E.F.T

Salty

ps, what was the name of "THAT" singer?

16. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Just talk to a current student at BJU, I didn't keep up with the singers when I was a student (nor did attend 99% of the time because I think it's wrong to ask someone to attend such a fleshy thing on Sunday, of all days).

Gay has meant homosexual since I was a kid, but I often call them sodomites and what not, it's not that big of a deal what you call them.

17. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you can't identify the person, then you are making an unsubstanted accusation. A charge of this level of seriousness brings with it a burden of proof. Said burden you have not thus far met.

18. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Well I have tried to find out, as I asked a recent graduate of Bob Jones. I didn't ask the name, but I asked him what it was about, and was trying to confirm what I was told from another brother in Christ, someone who recently left BJU due to a number of issues.

Both former students confirmed this (one graduated the school, one left it).

I live about 7 1/2 minutes from there, so maybe one day I'll visit their bookstore again and perhaps ask around. :p

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

You really ought not spend this stuff till you have some facts. A disgruntled former student would not be the best source.

20. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless and until you can give out verifiable information, what you are saying is just so much gossip. BJU is a big enough operation for you to look back at the Vesper guest performers to find out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.