1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bob Jones vs. Pensacola vs. Maranthana

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jacob Gastrich, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Ophelia

Ophelia New Member

Like you said - I think it just depends on the school. My cousin graduated from BJU and went straight to Columbia Law School. I also know of others who have gone to Northwestern, Clemson, Duke, UNC, and other secular schools after graduating from BJU.

Also, I believe BJU is seeking accredidation from the same place that accredits Clearwater...so maybe that will help out some.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good, now you've done it.

Maranatha Baptist Bible College
    As you can see from Papa Doc's bio he was a Northern Baptist, so being a Floridian it's not surprising you haven't heard of him or the school.

3. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

I'm not turning this into a Bible version discussion but I just needed to correct/quesiton this philosophy.

I can be anti-KJVO (read Ruckman) crowd...one that is against the idea "that one can only be saved by using the KJV" or that the KJV is another "revelation". I consider myself Only KJV {Edited due to violation of BB rules}.

So I just want to clarify that you can be KJV and not KJVO...and that you can condemn KJVO-ism without having to resort to using or teaching from other translations.

#23 MRCoon, Aug 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2006
  4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Folks, let's steer clear of getting into the translation debate in here. If you want to do that, there's a forum for that. Also, certain labels are never permissible when you're talking about God's Word. Please observe BB rules and policy when posting about the Bible. Any further deviations and this thread will be closed immediately.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it won't scare everyone away, I was in the first class at Maranatha and also received the first MA from their grad school.

Back in another dispensation when nobody had HEARD of KJVonly. :tongue3:

My children all graduated from there. They were pleased with the overall quality of education (both boys had taken 30 credits of local college here before heading to MBBC to play NCAA Football. So they had a good "comparison" of academic requirements, etc.

And my daughter married the history prof at Maranatha and lives in Watertown.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Dr. Bob

I didn't know you were that famous (or infamous - don't know how you want to read it).

Was just praying for you the other day.

Keep the Son shining!

Wayne

7. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

What is it with these inane nicknames fundamentalists give to their founders. NBBC did the same thing with their founder. "Papa?"

Don't mean to offend, but at least in the case of NBBC, some of the founder's relatives found this to be embarrassing.

8. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Correct, but you don't have to limit your brother's freedom in Christ to use a different translation and then separate from him for doing so.

You cannot claim to be anti KJVO, and then separate from those who use other "excellent" translations like the NIV and NASB or mandate that in our teaching and preaching ministries we only allow the KJV.

It appears that BJU is moving away from using only the KJV - at least the students seem to be using the ESV. DBTS appears to use the NASB. MBBC and NBBC need to step up to the plate and allow their profs to teach and preach from the ESV, NASB, or NIV.

#28 Paul33, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2006
  9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

But, you did go there! OUCH!

Did you really have to go there?

10. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Yes, I did. I know that the "name" is meant as a term of endearment, but when are we going to put our focus on God and not on man? This is the great weakness of fundamentalism. It is man-centered, man-focused, and man-driven.

As each (and in most cases God-fearing) man carved out his part of the kingdom, the followers got to swooning over a "man" instead of giving full devotion to Christ.

We need to mature in our faith as fundamentalists and unite together in the kingdom for God's glory! Let's reserve "papa" for God (abba, Father).

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, the allusion

Is worse than that. And I hasten to add as far as I know I'm the only one who refers to Dr. B(lain) Myron Cedarholm as "Papa Doc". As for NBBC, when I was back East, Northland was still little more than a Institute.
    FYI, the allusion is to Francois "Papa Doc" Duvalier of Haiti. I'd get enough demerits for an immediate shipping if I used that back in my college days. But as I do not come from a Baptist background (former member of St. Andrew United Presbyterian Church) , I consider the ol' gent one of my spiritual fathers.

#31 Squire Robertsson, Aug 30, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2006
  12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Squire,

You are a blessing to my heart. I should know by now that when you write something there is more behind it then what it first looks like.

Blessings to you my friend.

13. Sly Fox

Sly Fox New Member

The answer to the question is easy ... Liberty ;)

LU is accredited by SACS (and TRACS for that matter) and offers the widest array of majors and opportunities in comparison to the other three options.

Admittedly Liberty is not KJVO ... but the KJV is always welcome.

Did I mention I run the Liberty message board? :thumbs: